supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+12190) 22 days ago
My 401k account has dropped faster than a North Korean rocket this month. Kind of reminds me of the weeks preceding the 2008 election, although not nearly as bad.

Yet.

Given the way Trump is running the economy, tariffs, nuclear arms race, etc., I am expecting a recession. Who else is seeing that?
permalink   ·  vote tally
+5
Posted by tom regan (+565) 21 days ago
Gunnar, I've seen the same thing. Lots of uncertainty in the markets with lots of volatility.

After Obama and the Democrats fixed the Bush/GOP recession with the stimulus package(a legitimate reason to increase the national debt) we had about 8 solid years of growth. As soon as Trump and the GOP gives a massive tax cut to the wealthy and corporations with a correspondingly huge increase in the budget deficit and national debt, the growth stops. We should be paying down the debt and balancing the budget during times with a good economy. The tax cut was extremely irresponsible. I thought the GOP was fiscally conservative?

In 2000, after Clinton had balanced the budget and was making good progress on paying down the debt from the Reagan years, Bush and the GOP flushed the good economy down the toilet to give already rich people more money, screwing over the middle class in the process. Same story in 2016 with Trump.

And now, the Republicans are talking about reductions in Social Security, Medicare/Medicaid to pay for the tax cuts for the rich. I suggest that everyone within 10 years of retirement, and expect to rely on Social Security, start sampling fancy feast to find your favorite flavor.

I posted this essay a while back in another thread. I suggest everyone who cares about our economy and the middle class read it.
http://www.stonekettle.co...onade.html
+5
founder
Posted by David Schott (+12820) 21 days ago
If I calculated it correctly, the DOW is up less than 1% for 2018 and the S&P 500 is essentially flat for the year. If recent trends continue, these indexes will be turning negative for the year.
+1
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+12190) 21 days ago
Reply to David Schott (#377295)
David Schott wrote:
If I calculated it correctly, the DOW is up less than 1% for 2018 and the S&P 500 is essentially flat for the year. If recent trends continue, these indexes will be turning negative for the year.

You did calculate it correctly....for yesterday. DOW drops more than 600 points today, officially wiping out all 2018 gains.

Yikes.

Where is the Man from the Snowy Plains, to reassure us that the economy is doing terrific under Trump?
+3
founder
Posted by David Schott (+12820) 21 days ago
Okay, well, the stock market Trump bump is deflating faster than a Tom Brady football. What else does he have to show for his past 2 years in office?

I don't know about you, but I am beginning to miss "no drama Obama".
+4
Posted by mikekll (+9) 20 days ago
Hi Gunnar,
I want to stay away from politics as this site drives me crazy with it's politics.
I have been investing for approximately 23 years. Not saving, investing. There's a big difference there. During Obama's presidency, I had a nice, steady climb in my 401k's and IRA's. The economic data during Obama's presidency was very dull and lackluster (remember, no politics please, just facts). Nonetheless, my investments did well. Now, under the new presidency, our economic markers are off the charts. Economic conditions that haven't been seen in up to 60 years are being obtained. The economy is on fire, GDP is way up, unemployment is way down, etc. etc. Yet, despite this, I agree with you. I have lost MASSIVE ground on my investments since January 29, 2018. It is very, very, very frustrating. As I stated earlier, I have been investing for a long time. I have seen the market up and seen the market down. The economic conditions have always warranted the incline or decline of the market. I don't understand how our economic markers can be so outstanding and our investments are being punished. I don't get it. I do get that I am truly very frustrated as I'm not a young man anymore and I will be relying on my investments in less than 10 years and I need growth, not decline.
+1
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+12190) 20 days ago
Mikekell, your data and observations exactly mirrors mine.Respecting your wishes, I will remain apolitical (at least on this thread), and say nothing more. Thanks for your post.
+1
Posted by Ed who fishes (-26) 19 days ago
This is rich, a month ago when the market was in record territory the Dems were trying to say it was all due to Obama's administation, now a month later when it has dipped they want to lay it at Trump's feet..... never happy are you?
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+8142) 19 days ago
You don't actually catch many fish, do you Ed?
+5
founder
Posted by David Schott (+12820) 18 days ago
Reply to Ed who fishes (#377317)
So... you're saying the current drop is Obama's fault? Do I have that right?
+4
Posted by Ed who fishes (-26) 15 days ago
hhhhmmmmm.... just two fish on this set so far......
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+12190) 15 days ago
I catch fish, too, but I am a thinking individual and not a numb nuts.

If your whole basis on how you vote is 2nd amendment and or Roe v Wade, then you are a numb nuts and I find no reason to try to carry on an intelligent discourse with you, as your brain is sealed from rational thinking.
+3
Posted by Frank Burns (+60) 14 days ago
Ed hasn't matured past middle school.
+1
Posted by Ed who fishes (-26) 14 days ago
well Frank Burns and Gunnar, your name calling is pretty much pre-school level, so Middle school is grown-up for you guys...der der der.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+12190) 14 days ago
Happy to see you growing into your drooling slope persona, Ed. Cheers!
+1
founder
Posted by David Schott (+12820) 14 days ago
Reply to Ed who fishes (#377355)
Way to take the high road, Ed.
ANY road is the high road when it comes to you guys.
...and Gunnar,,,where in my post did I mention 2nd Amendment or Roe v. Wade...? You brought them up, not me.... that's like me telling everyone your really a closet Trump supporter.... taking a bit of a "liberal" license there aren't we...?
founder
Posted by David Schott (+12820) 14 days ago
Reply to Ed who fishes (#377360)
It might have been your comment on the Tester vs Rottendale thread:

"Tester has a "D" rating from gun owners and his 2nd amendment votes...that alone used to ensure that Montanan's wouldn't elect him as their Senator. Scary how his 2nd Amendment views have changed." - Ed who fishes

http://milescity.com/foru...1/1#377316
yep, that was posted in response to the moderator thread asking for reasons to vote for either Rossendale or Tester in a seperate forum... not in the thread where Gunnar resorted to name calling....but in the name of fairness I'll grant you, I support the 2nd Amendment. That leaves you to cover the Roe V. Wade comment and the accusation that those two topics alone dictate how I vote.... my comment was in regards to Gunnar making that generalization..... but you know that Dave, you just pick out the easy questions to answer.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+12190) 13 days ago
My comment was indeed a generalization and not directed to you, Ed. I do think that people who base their entire voting strategy on those two issues are idiots. If you are a voter who bases your vote on a more balanced evaluation of key issues such as health care, the economy, national defense, etc., then I apologize for inadvertently lumping you together with the numb nuts.

One more addition: If you believe Trump's rhetoric on immigrants, you are a numb nuts.
+1