supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+12190) 29 days ago
My absentee ballot arrived in the mail the other day. I opened up and read the language on I-186:

I-186 requires the Department of Environmental Quality to deny a permit for any new hardrock mines in Montana unless the reclamation plan provides clear and convincing evidence that the mine will not require perpetual treatment of water polluted by acid mine drainage or other contaminants. The terms “perpetual treatment,” “perpetual leaching,” and “contaminants” within I-186 are not fully defined and would require further definition from the Montana Legislature or through Department of Environmental Quality rulemaking.

I-186 will cost $115,360 in its first fiscal year, increasing to $118,767 by fiscal year 2021. These costs are associated with more staff for environmental review for mining permit applications and anticipated litigation.

This is just horrible. "Perpetual treatment", "perpetual leacing" and "contaminants" not defined? If DEQ tried to define those terms, the environmental groups would simply sue DEQ, challenging their definitions.

The cost estimates of ~$120k for "anticipated litigation" is wishful thinking. This initiative will be a field day for frivolous lawsuits.

This initiative in effect will ban mining in Montana. Want to permit a limestone quarry for making agricultural lime? Sorry, blasting will leave nitrates that might leach into the groundwater.

I urge everyone to VOTE NO on I-186.

[Edited by Gunnar Emilsson (10/16/2018 11:22:33 AM)]
permalink   ·  vote tally
+6
Posted by Oddjob (+153) 23 days ago
Perfect.

In keeping with the Montana tradition of being in love with business unfriendly, job killing legislation, this should effectively take care of Stillwater, Golden Sunlight and Montana Resources. I suspect it is primarily due to the rumblings about potential Montanore development. Appropriately, I-186 will fit seamlessly with the "Bad Actor" law which keeps any management personnel who previously worked for Pegasus Gold Corporation from ever creating any new jobs in the State.

Oh, by the way, in case you missed it, Hecla and Phil Baker took the money they were going to put into Montanore and bought Klondex Mines here in Nevada. Mines that have significant potential for expansion that will produce jobs and paychecks. That move should save Baker any additional headaches created by being foolish enough to think anyone can do resource business in Montana.

[Edited by Oddjob (10/22/2018 4:33:00 PM)]
founder
supporter
Posted by Tucker Bolton (+2955) 23 days ago
OJ, Gunnar, urge or not urge, argue for or against, there is no right or wrong. The money will win every time. In case I didn't mention it, "the money will win." My money is on the money. Wanna bet on which way initiative 156 goes?
+1
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+12190) 23 days ago
Oddy, Montanore is only a minor player in this initiative. Rock Creek is higher up on the radar screen of the radical environmental groups.

But their hatred is by far more focused on the Black Butte project. "Save the Smith" is pouring money into the coffers of Trout Unlimited. Since TU''s hired technical experts have told them that the proposed mine has no technical flaws, they have resorted to this. A sad offering from the radical environmental groups, designed to appeal to those who aren't good at science or engineering.

Tucker, unfortunately I have to agree with you. I watch these political ads and wonder, "what kind of blithering idiot would believe this crap?" Then I remembee whom said idiots elected president.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+12190) 21 days ago
Some excellent view points that have recently appeared in the Montana Standard:

https://mtstandard.com/op...b94cb.html

https://mtstandard.com/op...02c80.html

Our democracy will only flourish if we have informed, educated voters.
Posted by Oddjob (+153) 21 days ago
The only morons in this equation are the ones who still try to do any type of resource development in Montana. To the rest of the World, Montana has been off the corporate agenda for 40 years. It's a fool's errand to think you can punish someone who has zero interest in what's being denied.
Posted by Cheese_it (+3) 13 days ago
What would the free market do? Let’s do that.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+12190) 7 days ago
Nice work voters of Montana for rejecting the anti- mining initiative by a substantial margin.

Remember.....if it can't be grown, then it's gotta be mined!