Signatures of MT Senators
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+9330) 14 days ago
NOT the current ones, folks. I'm digging through my grandfather's old papers and have a stack of letters signed by Burton K. Wheeler and James Murray. People used to actually TYPE letters and sign them. I also know my grandfather got a raise in 1946 from $7200 a year to $7400 a year. He worked for the treasury dept. and there are piles of stuff related to that. He died in 1984 abouts and my mother about eight years ago and this stuff has been passed on to me.

Unless someone collects the signature of Montana senators from the mid-century, they are finally getting THROWN OUT.

I am sorting through my history files and discovered they included family stuff. The vast majority of which is going to be THROWN OUT.
founder
Posted by David Schott (+12554) 14 days ago
Reply to Amorette Allison (#376920)
$7400 in 1946 has the same buying power as $102,464 in July 2018. Grandpa did alright.
permalink   ·  vote tally
+3
Posted by Mary Catherine Dunphy (+2850) 14 days ago
Amorette: How about donating these signed documents to the Montana Historical Society? They may be interested. Give them a call.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+9330) 14 days ago
Actually, I found the letters from the Historical Society to my mother about the William H. Bartley papers so they have lots of stuff already. Grandpa was head of customs for Montana for a number of years. I have just thrown out photos of various custom stations, letters dealing with customs, photos of grandpa doing customs stuff.

I am keeping, however, the 1943 Victory Loan salesman folder.

And the family pictures if I recognize the people.

I did find his official conductor's certificate from the Milwaukee. I kept that in case a train collector is interested.
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+9093) 12 days ago
Reply to Amorette Allison (#376923)
Don't throw out old photos!!! 😡😡😡 That makes me angry.

If nothing else, put them in a shoebox, tape it closed, put "old photos I don't give a crap about" on it, stick it on a shelf ... and let someone else deal with them after you are gone.
permalink   ·  vote tally
+4
founder
Posted by David Schott (+12554) 12 days ago
Pack up those unwanted photos and send them to Larry for storage in his archives.