Charge at fair grounds
Posted by SherriLynn (+135) 3 months ago
Don't mind paying but not to mow to park vehicle...really
permalink   ·  vote tally
+1
founder
Posted by David Schott (+12838) 3 months ago
Reply to SherriLynn (#376809)
Sorry to hear about the tall grass in the parking area but I'm jealous of you being able to attend the fair. I wish I was there.

What are they doing with the Exhibition Hall this year? Is the old building being used at all? (For the "expatriates" that don't know, one of the sides of the old exhibition hall collapsed under heavy snow this past winter and the county is planning to build an all-new events center with heating and air conditioning and storage for tables and chairs, etc.)

Exhibition Hall Snow Damage

Exhibition Hall Snow Damage
+3
supporter
Posted by MRH (+1297) 3 months ago
I did not notice any tall grass in the parking area. The fair office and rest rooms are being used in the building that collapsed, but the other part of the building is walled off away from the public.

Garden and farm produce and flowers are back in the older building, whereas, photography, quilts and fiber projects, baked goods, and vendors are in the home building.

Beef are housed in the new 'open air' building, while sheep and hogs are in the building that is also used for hockey. The auction on Friday afternoon will be held in the 'open air' building.
+2
Posted by Laura Monasmith (+16) 2 months ago
It IS quite embarrassing that we have to pay to go to our County Fair and the place is an eyesore. If a residence's property is not mowed and picked up they get in trouble, but the fairgrounds are not mowed or trimmed, the fence is in disrepair, etc.
+3
founder
Posted by David Schott (+12838) 2 months ago
Reply to Laura Monasmith (#376835)
Sounds like:

1. You are getting your city and county governments mixed up.
2. The county needs to raise taxes to help pay for the fairgrounds.

+3
Posted by ocne (+474) 2 months ago
The Fair charges the entrance fee to help offset costs for maintaining the grounds. According to an article in the Star last week, $1 for each admittance goes to help replace fairgrounds machinery, and another $1 goes to fair improvements. Personally, I didn't think the grass was that bad. I have seen someone mowing some of the area in the north parking area periodically this summer, and the grass in the south parking area is usually fairly short. Regardless, in either area its not like you were walking in waist-deep pasture. Its a "county" fair setting in a more rural part of Montana. Would you rather it was like MontanaFair in Billings where most everything is black asphalt...?

Furthermore, there is no huge staff to take care of the fairgrounds. And I'm sure no huge salary for those who do perform maintenance.

The Fair Board recently advertised in the Star several times for applications for a vacant board spot. Sounds like you should have applied....
+8