Catfishing
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+11902) 3 months ago
Time for my hot fishing tip......STINK BAIT!

When I lived in Miles City in my youth, I went fishing for catfish a lot. While I caught a few, I mostly spent my time catching goldeyes, bullheads, and other trash fish on my bait.

Recently a friend of mine in southern Illinois told me about dip bait. This is a stinky substance that you drop a special dip bait jig in, smear the stinky stuff on with a stick , and cast it out in your hole.

Worked great. All I caught were nice eating sized cats. Check out my Google Plus account for pics. Best thing, no trash fish would bite it.

Next time I go catfishing, I am not wasting my money on minnows
permalink   ·  vote tally
+2
Posted by Bob Netherton III (+2101) 2 months ago
I always used chopped up goldeyes. Never had trouble with trash fish and often caught some big ones. Cut them into a one inch square and stick them on a good sized hook. The only trouble is that its not easy catching a goldeye in muddy water.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+11902) 2 months ago
Really? I've never had any trouble catching goldeyes on nightcrawlers in muddy water.

Cut bait was on the agenda, but after the stink bait started working, I never got around to cut bait.

[Edited by Gunnar Emilsson (6/28/2018 1:11:05 PM)]
supporter
Posted by Don Birkholz (+995) 2 months ago
The last several years I have used nothing but chicken gizzards and I seem to only catch catfish, all sizes. I get a frozen box from the local IGA.
Posted by Bruce Ingraham (+77) 2 months ago
So the question one needs to ask of you fisherman is whether it’s fact or fiction that a fisherman pees on their hands before baiting a hook?
+1
Posted by Bob Netherton III (+2101) 2 months ago
Gunnar. You are right about catching goldeyes with crawlers in muddy water but then you also have to deal with every other species that'll take one. What's nice in clearer water is the fact that you can count on catching a goldeye almost immediately if you toss out a red and white spoon or a mepps.
+1