Abraham Lincoln
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+11863) 3 months ago
A quote from the 16th president to ponder....

As a nation, we began by declaring that 'all men are created equal.' We now practically read it 'all men are created equal, except negroes.' When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read 'all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics.' When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretense of loving liberty – to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocrisy.

http://www.abrahamlincoln.../speed.htm

Happy Father's Day!
permalink   ·  vote tally
+3
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+13723) 3 months ago
Balderdash! Lincoln was a hypocrite.

https://www.thenation.com...ago-today/
supporter
Now, now. Did you even bother to read the article you linked, other than the click bait headline and first paragraph?

Let's snip an excerpt:

The Dakota leader Little Crow then led his “enraged and starving” tribe in a series of attacks on frontier settlements. The “US-Dakota War” didn’t last long: After six weeks, Henry Hastings Sibley, first governor of Minnesota and a leader of the state militia, captured 2,000 Dakota, and a military court sentenced 303 to death.

Lincoln, however, was “never an Indian hater,” Eric Foner writes in his Pulitzer Prize–winning book The Fiery Trial: Abraham Lincoln and American Slavery. He did not agree with General John Pope, sent to put down a Sioux uprising in southern Minnesota, who said “It is my purpose utterly to exterminate the Sioux if I have the power to do so.” Lincoln “carefully reviewed the trial records,” Foner reports, and found a lack of evidence at most of the tribunals. He commuted the sentences of 265 of the Indians—a politically unpopular move. But, he said, “I could not afford to hang men for votes.”

Seems like a more accurate headline would have been, "Lincoln pardons 265 Indians against Territory of Minnesota wishes". It's all about spin.
supporter
Yes, I did read the article. IMO, actions speak much louder than words. Especially, the words of some 20th century historian trying to sell his book.

Lincoln gave the okay for the largest mass execution of Natives in our history trying to protect their land from a bunch of immigrants.
supporter
That is a pretty lame statement, in my opinion . And it helps to confirm, in my eyes, that all the grief you have been giving MCD as of late is meaningless.

To paraphrase you: "Progressives need to ignore Trump, and come up with their own message that ignores our past and the pride in which we all have in this country, and come up with some spellbinding new message that will win every one over to the new Progressive order of free stuff for everyone."

Did I capture that correctly? If not, feel free to cut, paste and edit my words as you see fit.

The whole blah blah blah I hate your message but I have no message, I find tiresome.
+1
supporter
I’m sorry my sentences outlast your attention span and comprehension.