R. Aslan: Is the Trump presidency a religious cult
founder
Posted by David Schott (+12316) 3 months ago
permalink   ·  vote tally
+5
Posted by Andy Hanson (+137) 3 months ago
I have to agree with this. When you see the religious right and you combine the racism that makes up this group, you have to agree.
+9
Posted by Mary Catherine Dunphy (+2654) 3 months ago
Strange but apparently true!

"White Evangelical Support for Donald Trump at All-Time High" by Robert P. Jones, PhD, prri.org, April 18, 2018

"A new PRRI survey finds white evangelical support for President Trump at an all-time high, with 75 percent holding a favorable view of the president and just 22 percent holding an unfavorable view. This level of support is far above support in the general population, where Trump’s favorability is at 42 percent.

White evangelical support for Donald Trump has steadily increased over time. Notably, Trump’s favorability among white evangelicals never reached 50 percent during the 2016 primary season. By the early fall of 2016, however, his favorability among white evangelicals had jumped to 61 percent. By the inauguration it increased to 68 percent, and shortly after the inauguration in February 2017 it jumped again to 74 percent. Over the course of 2017, there were minor fluctuations, but Trump’s favorability among white evangelicals never dipped below 65 percent during this time."

Read more at:

https://www.prri.org/spot...time-high/
+1
Posted by Mary Catherine Dunphy (+2654) 3 months ago
Mr. Aslan's analysis in the video posted above only explains one aspect of Trump's appeal to the white evangelicals -- the money angle. He doesn't talk about the racism and sexism that Trump exhibits and brings out in his followers. Let's not forget that back in the 1960s when Martin Luther King Jr. was non-violently marching against racism and segregation in the American South -- all those white Southerners resisting Dr. King's message were going to church every Sunday.

I think there is more to Trump's appeal to the white evangelicals than the money angle.

I recently read NBC reporter, Katy Tur's book on the 2016 presidential campaign entitled: "Unbelievable: My Front-Row Seat to the Craziest Campaign in American History." Katy Tur was the NBC reporter assigned to cover the Trump campaign starting in 2015 in the long lead up to the November 2016 election.

Here's a particularly relevant excerpt from Ms. Tur's book:

"The thing is, they don’t look like cruel people. They look like they’re in their forties. They’re wearing designed jeans and nice boots. They seem healthy and comfortable, and it’s hard to imagine them acting in this way at home or in the office. Hillary Clinton recently called Trump’s supporters a 'basket of deplorables,' and while some might be easy to single out like that, most aren’t. A lot are your coworkers and your neighbors. They’re your taxi driver, your fireman, and your supermarket cashier. They’re the mom in riding boots and a Barbour coat helping her cute daughter with her school science project. You would never know that they’re Trump supporters, quote unquote deplorables.

But inside a Trump rally, these people are unchained. They can drop their everyday niceties. They can yell and scream and say the things they’d never say out loud on the outside.

“Obama is Muslim!”

“Hillary Clinton is a c_nt!”

“Immigrants need to get the hell out!”

“F_ck you, media!”

On the outside, this kind of behavior is disreputable. But inside a Trump rally, they can tell a woman she’s ugly and needs more makeup. They aren’t deplorables. They are patriots. And now they’re waiting to see their hero for the first time after a three-day fight for his political life. They’re ready for him. I spot a new T-shirt in the crowd: SHE’S A C*NT, VOTE TRUMP. The guy is with his wife and three kids. “

By: Katy Tur (NBC news correspondent who covered the Trump
campaign 2015-2017), pp. 243-245.
+1
Posted by The man from snowy plains (-154) 3 months ago
It's the Millennials, They got hosed by 8 years of Obama...They learned don't lisen to what he says, Watch what he does.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+11652) 3 months ago
Please expand upon that analysis, Snow flake
+4
Posted by Oddjob (+130) 3 months ago
One of the most bigoted things I have ever seen here, David. Shame on you.

But, you know, the scariest part of watching that video is that you, David, MCD and Gunnar, actually believe it.

Fun fact: If the "white" evangelicals carried Trumps election, they will carry his re-election. It isn't that they are in love with Trump. It's that they hate where the Progressives are trying to drag the Country.

No amount of testimonials from hookers will make the Democrats look any better.
founder
Posted by David Schott (+12316) 3 months ago
Reply to Oddjob (#375954)
"Oddjob", always nice to see you come out from the shadows where you lurk and grace us with your wisdom.

I'm pretty sure I didn't offer any opinion one way or the other about what Aslan said. I do find it interesting, though, that he managed to get you so triggered. He must have struck a nerve with you.
+1
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+8038) 3 months ago
I know a LOT of white evangelicals, and over a certain age... they're racist as procreate.
+4
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+11652) 3 months ago
+2
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+11652) 2 months ago
Reply to Oddjob (#375954)
Oddjob wrote:
....... It's that they hate where the Progressives are trying to drag the Country.

Oddjob is deathly afraid of the passage of the Equal Rights Amendment.
supporter
Posted by Shu Pius (+1311) 2 months ago
Saw "Aslan" mentioned here and thought this thread might be about "The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe" by C.S. Lewis, which is one of my favorite books of all time....DANG, I'm disappointed.
Posted by Bob Netherton III (+2029) 2 months ago
Oddy, Snowy. Aslan is SPOT ON here and you know it.
+1
Posted by Oddjob (+130) 2 months ago
Reply to David Schott (#375955)
David Schott wrote:
"Oddjob", always nice to see you come out from the shadows where you lurk and grace us with your wisdom.

I'm pretty sure I didn't offer any opinion one way or the other about what Aslan said. I do find it interesting, though, that he managed to get you so triggered. He must have struck a nerve with you.

C'mon David. You know you always state your position by what you post here on milescity.com. If you post from a bigot, then you are a bigot. Sometimes all you need to do is respond to bigotry to be a bigot. If you don't believe that, just read through this thread again.

[Edited by Oddjob (5/6/2018 9:06:03 AM)]
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+11652) 2 months ago
You read WAY too much conspiracy into posts here, Oddjob. But I guess that is the signature of your kind. Paranoia, big destroyer.