The Meaning of American Factories
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+8804) 6 months ago
“The new romance of the factory is more likely based on the sense of dignity and purpose that unionized workers gained in factory jobs. It is unsurprising that some Americans would be nostalgic for a period when they could more easily place themselves in a history of progress as the heirs to a heroic struggle for an improved working-class lot.”

“The Meaning of American Factories”
--David Sessions
THE NEW REPUBLIC
April 2, 2018
https://newrepublic.com/a...-factories
permalink   ·  vote tally
+1
supporter
Posted by Jeri Dalbec (+2545) 6 months ago
Great article, Hal. We are now seeing the "Old-Industry Billionaires destruction in play. "Democracy In Chains" goes back to their horror of Integration. Their low paid workers/slaves getting an Education was beyond comprehension. Interesting how they have so cleverly infiltrated our lives with their racism and greed. Looking forward to the "Weapons of History". Hopefully, there will be gumption to drive out Dictators☺ "Dark Money" is good as well.
Posted by Mary Catherine Dunphy (+2918) 6 months ago
It was also children who were exploited.

Here are some photos by Lewis Hine documenting U.S. Child Labor, 1908-1920. Congress passed The Fair Labor Standards Act in 1938, in part, to protect U.S. children from exploitation.

Today there are 168,00 million children worldwide trapped in child labor:

Here is a list of goods by country produced by child labor:

https://www.dol.gov/ilab/...-of-goods/
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+8804) 6 months ago
Jeri,

Sessions’ conclusions are pretty far ranging –I'm thinking he’s stretching things a bit. (And there is the New Republic’s editorial stance to consider). But it is good every once in awhile to read a well written, thoughtful opinion piece.

In the past year or so I’ve been reading less OpEd / commentary pieces – I suppose that’s a reaction (on my part) to the growth in fake news.

: -) : -) As I’ve been trying to cut down on my “fake news” intake, I’ve been relying on the wire services for my basic news fix. It’s kind of refreshing to go to Reuters, UPI, Associated Press and read the old school news. Who? What? When” Where?
permalink   ·  vote tally
+1