History in your lifetime
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+8760) 6 months ago
supporter
Posted by Jeri Dalbec (+2509) 6 months ago
That is fun, Hal. Thanks. I am one of the first people who has never lived in the world without Monopoly. Wow!
permalink   ·  vote tally
+3
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+8760) 6 months ago
Monopoly isn't bad. This is what I got : -)
"You're one of the first people who's never lived in a world without James Bond."
+2
founder
Posted by David Schott (+12522) 6 months ago
Me:

"You're one of the first people who's never lived in a world without Star Trek."

Live long and prosper...
+4
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+11862) 6 months ago
My history begins after the last Confederate veteran died. Curious, I researched history of the Civil War, and, bored with the battlefields, began researching the underlying causes.

First place I ended up was the argument about the legality of nullification.

https://en.wikipedia.org/...ion_Crisis

Whoa. Jackson vs. Calhoun. 1820-30s heavyweights!

Then I stalled on the whole history of the slave trade. I put on a record, and then spun the disc over and over again. Data collected, I can summarize these facts:

I believe some time in the early 1800s a ship set forth from an unknown location (Europe? United States? South America?) that headed to the Gold Coast of Africa. Its mission was to bring back African slaves, to work in the American cotton plantations.

These slaves were sold in New Orleans. Many of the slavers were evil men, often scarred, and bearing whips, which they tended to apply to said slaves around the time the clock indicates a new day is arriving.

Once these slaves were sold and began working on the plantations, they would keep their heritage music. Using whatever suitable items available, they managed to create a rhythm true to their roots. Their Caucasian masters, however, did not enjoy this rhythmic based music. An 1830s newspaper reporter sniffed, "those drums are beating rather cold." This new form of music in particular annoyed the mistresses of the plantations, who had not idea of when it was going to stop.

Time went on, and the mother of the slave children soon was sold to a traveling circus once she was no longer of bearing age. Fortunately, the circus was filled with young teenagers barely below and above the legal age of permission (16, at that time) who loved her, and soon she became the queen of the tent show. Those teenage boys were the lucky ones whom some of the time got to go to school.
+3
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+8071) 6 months ago
This site has ruined me, i read Gunnar's entire post, waiting for the pun.
+1
Posted by Wayne White (+245) 6 months ago
OMG I'm before Is a wonderful life, no one goes that far back.
+2
Posted by Mary Catherine Dunphy (+2806) 6 months ago
What is says about me:

You are one of the first people who’s never lived in a world without universal credit cards.

And, by the time you turn 69, scientists estimate it will no longer be possible to keep global temperatures from rising at least 1.5 degrees Celsius. In December 2015, Robinson Meyer wrote about why scientists had accepted this fact.

Why? Click this link:

https://www.theatlantic.c...e=timeline
+1
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Dave Roberts (+1155) 6 months ago
"You're one of the first people who's never lived in a world without Star Trek."
So the other Dave is probably around 50.5 too?

"The Atlantic" is three times older than me, so I've got that going for me, which is nice

[Edited by Dave Roberts (3/20/2018 8:11:59 PM)]
+3