Trump's Proposed Cuts in his 2019 Budget
Posted by Mary Catherine Dunphy (+2543) 4 months ago
This article details Trump's proposed cuts in his 2019 budget: Of particular interest may be the proposed cuts to the Department of Agriculture:

"Agriculture Department: The Trump administration is seeking to cut the Department of Agriculture’s discretionary budget by $3.5 billion, or 15 percent, while also slashing by $17 billion the funds available to the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (food stamps). The budget would also reduce federal crop insurance subsidies and cut spending for conservation programs and foreign food aid. Trump’s budget hits poor Americans the hardest.

Key proposed changes:

Reduces funding for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program by $17.2 billion in 2019 and $213.5 billion over the next 10 years.

Limits eligibility in the crop insurance program and caps premium subsidies.

Cuts the $136 million in funding for conservation programs.

Eliminates the Rural Economic Development Loan and Grant Program.

Discontinues the $166 million Food for Progress aid program.

Read more at:

https://www.washingtonpos...87b6ef1338
Posted by The man from snowy plains (-126) 4 months ago
MCD just curious. How is this going effect you. It won't effect my personal or agriculture assets one dime. Of course I'VE never been on the government teat in any programs. Working for a living was far more full filling than the applying free stuff.
permalink   ·  vote tally
Snowy, I don't get food stamps or any agricultural aid. So I won't be personally affected -- other than the mental suffering I will experience when I know my less fortunate friends are suffering. I know lots of people in eastern Montana who need help from the Department of Agriculture -- including many school age children.

For many years, I was a volunteer dishwasher for the Summer Lunch Program here in Miles City which feeds hungry school age children during the summer. In fact, I helped organize the Summer Lunch Program. Why? Because members of the Nutrition Coalition knew that for at least 50 school age children in Miles City, the school lunch was their only meal of the day and the school district here didn't want to do a summer lunch program. We thought that was unacceptable -- actually a form of child abuse. So we got busy and organized a summer lunch program. The First Baptist Church provides the kitchen facilities and volunteer labor, and the Department of Agriculture (through Montana's Office of Public Instruction) provides the funds for the food served to the children. While volunteers at the church cheerfully provide the labor in preparing the meals and cleanup, I know the church does not have the funds to buy the food for the Summer Lunch Program which is currently supplied by the Department of Agriculture through OPI. Thousands of Miles City children have been feed by the Summer Lunch Program through the many years it has been in existence. I like that!

I like knowing that low-income seniors have food to eat if they need it. I like that one's tax dollars are used for food programs which I consider a win for both farmers, ranchers and anybody who eats food! I also don't mind that there Department of Agriculture Programs designated specifically to help farmers and ranchers. I believe it helps keep food prices affordable. However, Snowy, I know you are not bothered by the same things I am concerned about. I guess that's why you are a Republican and I am a Democrat!
+1
Posted by The man from snowy plains (-126) 4 months ago
My friends in Miles City have said you haven't held a job in years. So you must me getting some form of FREE GOVERNMENT STUFF. Your just a leach on free stuff. I find that too be taking the easy way out.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+11471) 4 months ago
You have friends? Sad.
+2
How many years Snowy?