Evelyn Cameron ??
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+8861) 9 months ago
There’s a story that Evelyn Cameron was almost arrested once when she came to Terry wearing trousers.

Fact or fiction?

If it’s true, does anyone know the name of the law officer who wanted to arrest her?

Thanks.
founder
Posted by David Schott (+12825) 9 months ago
Perhaps you've seen it, the Billings Gazette did a story about Cameron that touched on the topic:

Billings Gazette: How split skirts saved Evelyn Cameron from jail

By JACI WEBB Jun 23, 2016

TERRY — Evelyn Cameron once came close to being arrested for riding her horse to Miles City while wearing pants.

Back when the 19th century became the 20th, Montana women were supposed to wear skirts in public, but because Cameron was looking at an 11-hour ride on horseback to Miles City, she thought she’d push the rules a bit so she wouldn’t have to ride sidesaddle in a long skirt. The story goes that the sheriff told her to go home and change or go to jail. She changed.

But it wasn't long before Cameron began sporting the first canvas split skirt in the area, which she paid the outrageous sum of $100 for.

Read the rest here.
founder
supporter
sponsor
Thanks David.
I'll have to do some research and learn who the lawman was. I recently heard that it was my Grandfather's brother, but I figured I best confirm that before "bragging" about it.
permalink   ·  vote tally
+1
supporter
Posted by Jeri Dalbec (+2600) 9 months ago
Hal, I checked in my big Cameron book and in the Summer of 1895, she arrived in Miles City and caused quite a commotion. She wrote an article for "Country Life" as follows: " Although my costume was so full as to look like an ordinary walking dress when the wearer was on foot, it created a small sensation. So great at first was the prejudice against any divided garment in Montana that a warning was given me to abstain from riding on the streets of Miles City lest I might be arrested!"

She also had an entry in her diary for August 7th. So..if you know the dates of your relative, maybe this will help.
+2
founder
supporter
sponsor
Thanks for the info Jeri. I'll do some follow up research when I get home.
+1
supporter
Posted by Jeri Dalbec (+2600) 9 months ago
Hal...I talked to my friend who works at the sheriff's office and will check their old book for who the Sheriff was in 1895 and that should give you the info you are seeking. It is interesting. A picture in the Cameron book shows her mounting a horse with THAT split skirt.
Posted by Bruce Ingraham (+80) 9 months ago
If I not mistaken Prairie County did not exist until the 1900s. Prairie County would have been a part of Dawson County.
founder
supporter
sponsor
Thanks Folks. I am thinking that this is family "myth" rather than family history. But I will follow up on the leads you've provided just to confirm it's myth. I've been traveling and haven't been able to look things up.
+1
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+9344) 9 months ago
Karen Stevenson tells the story of being told to leave town due to her "trousers" in her presentation. I will ask her what her source was.
+1
supporter
Posted by Jeri Dalbec (+2600) 8 months ago
Hal, Straight from the book at the Sheriff's office. Jack, (J.B.) Hawkins was the Sheriff in 1895. Thanks to Eileen Reddick ...☺
+2