Washington Middle School Participation ribbons
Posted by MWinkleberry (-54) 3 months ago
I haven't been to Washington Middle school for a couple years, and stopped in to watch a 5-6 grade basketball game last week. I always check the track record boards when ever I stop in so I can call a school mate from the late 70's and harass him about still being the best ever. The record boards were gone. I asked some one dressed up enough to be in charge and was told "they took it down as not to offend students who couldn't achieve those records" Does any one know if this is true? Has Miles City really turned in to a pink participation ribbon school so that no one feels bad about not winning?
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+11309) 3 months ago
Yes, I believe that to be the case, and it is my understanding that the school district has enlisted noted school enthusiast RR01 to give an embracing speech and present ribbons to all of the participants. If someone can confirm the date and time of this event, please post it here. I would like to travel to this event.
permalink   ·  vote tally
+3
supporter
Posted by cubby (+2230) 3 months ago
Pretty sad that we can't teach our kids that losing happens, not everybody is a winner all the time.
+5
Posted by MWinkleberry (-54) 2 months ago
And now in the paper the school wants more money If you cant even get the little things or the easy things right. It makes it that much harder to support. I had a gentleman call me about my earlier post and he had an interesting comment. "When you see these little things start to fall apart, there are bigger things behind the scenes being missed. When there is lack of leadership it will always show up in little things first and then later the big things they have been missing will blow up."
Be interesting to watch.
+1
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+9158) 2 months ago
The schools all need money just to pay the bills. Who cares about anything as ridiculous as ribbons when they may have to give up sports completely because of funding shortages. Teachers are paid crap, they don't have adequate supplies, the buildings are falling further and further behind on maintenance and you are worrying about ribbons? Priorities, people.
+4
Your short sided response proves my point Amorette. Every one wants better schools higher paid teachers and new buildings. Districts that garner community support get that. There are districts in Montana that pass levy after levy year after year. They have parent and student buy in and support.
Spend a couple minutes talking to parents with kids in school and most i have talked to are upset about an interaction they have had with administration. Do a quick social media search Amorette and you will find kids upset with GPA scales and lack of being allowed to be involved in the process. Our kids cant even pass their state writing test. I had a gal a year ago stop by doing some fund raiser for the school and was talking about how hard it was to garner support because of the number of upset parents. What I was saying has little to nothing to do with ribbons and sports. It has to do with philosophy and leadership, big picture stuff. I don't have kids in school and my one interaction with the school was negative, the philosophy behind what they were doing was off base. Business has learned this a long time ago, take care of the customers and they will take care of you. If you need a levy to run your school you should have started a year ago getting community involvement and support and worried about the little things and the parents and kids as well.

[Edited by MWinkleberry (2/27/2018 3:36:37 PM)]

[Edited by MWinkleberry (2/27/2018 3:43:49 PM)]
+3
founder
Posted by David Schott (+12121) 2 months ago
Reply to MWinkleberry (#375170)
Cutting funding to your local schools to send a message to your school administrators is just going to hurt the kids and the community as a whole.

If you aren't happy with how your schools are being run, you should talk with the administrators and/or school board members.

Miles City has historically been been very good about supporting its schools. That has always been one of the community's strong points.

As for the missing records board at WMS, have you considered contacting the school office to ask what happened to it? Perhaps it's a funding issue in which case voting no on the upcoming levy is certainly not going to solve that problem.

If you do contact the school, let us know what you find out.

In the meantime, I urge you to vote YES on the school levy. Providing its children with a quality education is one of the most important things a community does. It pays off in spades.
+5
Posted by Frank Burns (+35) 2 months ago
Twinkletoes is upset that after 40 years his name is no longer posted on his middle school wall.
+2
Thanks David for pointing out the obvious all those things suggested have been done. The records that recognize top achievers are nice, schools should do that, they should inspire and challenge. Walk into any other gym in the district,even Washington Middle School in Glendive , and then answer why other schools figure this out and our leaders cant.
Apparently this message board is a call out to those who want to be average and don't wont to lead, be inspired, or have high expectations.

Judging from the response's average is fine, little things don't make a difference, change is bad, vote for a levy no matter what, and expecting leaders to actually lead or be great or be held accountable is to much to much to ask.

When I called my friend he was upset, I am sure he wont leave an endowment to the school when he passes away some day.

[Edited by MWinkleberry (3/2/2018 12:58:31 PM)]
+1
Posted by Frank Burns (+35) 2 months ago
Reply to MWinkleberry (#375225)
Holy poop, the school district just called and they want you to stop claiming to be a product of their education.
+2
Frank the national speed walking association just called---they don't want you to join but are encouraging you to watch them race well you eat your TV dinner and sit on your couch, they might even give you the pink ribbon you never got and are apparently still mad about.
Send a grand kid to Miles City's Junior High Frank, maybe they will let you hold it.

Enjoy mediocrity

[Edited by MWinkleberry (3/2/2018 2:37:04 PM)]
+2
supporter
Posted by Bob L. (+5026) 2 months ago
Dingleberry wrote:
When I called my friend he was upset, I am sure he wont leave an endowment to the school when he passes away some day.

OH NO! NOT THAT!! ANYTHING BUT THAT!!!

I'm sure your "friend" was going to leave an "endowment" of "millions" to the school.

+4