Martin Luther King Jr. Day 2018
Posted by Mary Catherine Dunphy (+1921) one month ago
Donald Trump, Jr. saying he is not a racist is like Tricky Dick Nixon saying, "I am not a crook."

I grew up in Billings, Montana, and was fortunate to meet Senator Robert F. Kennedy when he visited Billings, in the fall of 1967.

I am old now and remember when America once had truly great leaders -- John F. Kennedy, Robert F. Kennedy and Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. -- all of whom inspired the best in their fellow citizens and human beings. Now we are living in a very different and difficult time -- especially if you are a person who longs for racial, gender and social justice.

This speech by Senator Robert Kennedy was given on the back of a flat bed truck on the day Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was assassinated. I consider it one of his best speeches and Senator Kennedy's message is still relevant today.

supporter
Posted by Shu Pius (+1286) one month ago
Speaking for myself, I have always had deep respect for Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and for his efforts and accomplishments throughout the American civil rights movement in the name of racial equality. I observe the holiday named after him with a certain reverence. This is likely because, for one thing, I am somewhat of a minority myself (Middle-Eastern American) and have dealt with a small number of instances of discrimination in my lifetime, although not as severely as other minorities have.

The fact that racial prejudice still exists in some forms today makes me wonder how severe the problem would be if not for MLK and his efforts...and glad they are not worse, though it could always be better of course.
permalink   ·  vote tally
+1
Posted by The man from snowy plains (-166) one month ago
VERY TRUE, AND YET WE CAN ALL DO BETTER. WE HAVEN'T LIVED UP TO HIS "I HAVE A DREAM" YET! It's up to every individual live it daily.
permalink   ·  vote tally