Tom Biedrzycki
supporter
Posted by Don Birkholz (+981) 3 months ago
Back in the 1950's, I recall a disc jockey was on his way to work at a radio station in the early morning and did not show up at the radio station and was fired. A search was on for his vehicle and days later?, they found out that his vehicle had went of the road and fell back into a culvert, making it hard to find. Was this Tom Biedrzycki? Does anyone know any other details, which radio station was he going to, etc. The only thing I have found so far is that he played basketball for Sacred Heart in 1949. Every time I hear Stonewall Jackson singing BJ the DJ, I think of Tom.
founder
Posted by David Schott (+11980) 3 months ago
Reply to Don Birkholz (#374370)
This item says Tom Biedrzycki worked for KATL in 1955:

http://www.americanradioh...-BC-YB.pdf

This website says that a Robert Biedrzycki died on July 14, 1958.

http://montanamsgs.org/de...954b1.html

And this article from the July 16, 1958, Greeley Daily Tribune which has an OCR version that is pretty jumbled seems to imply that Robert Biedrzycki worked for KXGN Glendive at the time of his death.

https://www.newspapers.co.../25053888/

I've pasted the OCR text below which is jumbled with other things on that news page. See if you can sort it out:

Young Announcer Dies of Ordeal a dry irrigation ditch early Satur- The Johnsons had stopped near the bridge to change a flat tire. This was on U. S. Highway 2 about BILLINGS (AP) - A 19-year-o.d Ve^n'M and"t/, A. P radJO announcer, who spent 301 Biedrzycki, Miles City, suffered helpless hours in his wrecked car [ punctured lungs, a dislocated hip I below a bridge on a busy eastern an( i "irec broken ribs. He was Montana highway, died Monday. '"'"' "' '" "'"""" """ Robert Biedrzycki, announcer at KXGN in Glendive since his graduation from a Minneapolis radio rushed to Billings after pneumonia set in. His death brought .Montana's 1958 highway toll to 86, compared with 96 a year a school less (ban a month ago, had been flown to Billings for emer-1 ~ gency surgery. Hoover Comments A touring Seattle, Wash., couple, identified only as a Mr. and Mrs. Johnson, spotted the youth Sunday morning. He attracted attention by waving from the seat of his convertible. It had missed a bridge and . plunged 20 feet to the bottom of
founder
Posted by David Schott (+11980) 3 months ago
The Kalispell Daily Inter Lake, July 14, 1958:

https://www.newspapers.co.../22361418/

Announcer Lies for 30 Hours t Before Accident Is Noticed

GLENDIVE (UPI) -- A tcenaged radio announcer who survived nearly 30 hours exposure alone In a wrecked automobile has begun another battle for his life. Robert Biedrzycki, 19, Glendive, was critically hurt early Saturday when his convertible careened out of control into a dry irrigation ditch about 13 miles west of here.

The Kalispell Daily Inter Lake, July 15, 1958:

https://www.newspapers.co.../22361629/

Radio Announcer Dies in Hospital

BILLINGS (UPI) -- A struggle for life by a teenage radio announcer who survived two 5 nights and a day in a wrecked, convertible near Glendive ended yesterday with his death in a hospital here. The victim, 19-year-old Robert Biedrzycki, an announcer for KXGN in Glendive, died after brain surgery in a desperate effort to save the boy.

Redlands Daily Facts, July 14, 1958:

https://www.newspapers.co...ge/824293/

Youth Trapped In Wreckage Of Cr For 36 Hours

GLENDIVE. Mont. (UPI - A teen-age radio announcer who yelled for help tor 36 hours while lying trapped in the wreckage of his car by a busy highway struggled for life today in a hospital. The announcer, Robert Biedrzycki, 19, owed his life to a Seattle couple, identified only as a Mr. and Mrs. Johnson, who stopped to fix a flat tire Sunday morning. Mrs. Johnson wandered over to a highway bridge. Pjering down to a dry irrigation canal below, she saw a wrecked convertible. With a start, she saw a hand extended from the window give a weak flutter. The Johnsons calle'd for help. Biedrzycki was taken to a Glendive hospital. Doctors found ha had sufiered two punctured lungs, one of which was collapsed, a broken leg, broken ribs, a dislocated hip and other injuries. His condition was so critical that surgeons dared not give him an anesthetic. Later, they said he had a 50-50 chance. Young Biedrzycki, an announcer for radio station KXGN m Glendive, fell asleep while at the wheel Friday night.
Posted by Bob Hall (+12) 3 months ago
I recall a news item stating it was Bobby Biedrzycki !
supporter
Posted by Jim Brady (+424) 3 months ago
Don

I went through grade school at Sacred Heart with Mike Biedrzycki. As I remember, Mike used to talk about an older brother who Mike said was a DJ, working in Minneapolis-St. Paul. I think that is the Tom Biedrzycki you refer to, and the fellow who worked at KATL

The news articles sourced by David Schott name Robert Biedrzycki as the young man who died as a result of a car crash west of Glendive in 1958. Robert is buried in Miles City and his parents are listed as Anthony and Lucille Biedrzycki. I know Mike's mother's name was Alice and I think his dad name was Paul(?), so there may be two different Biedrzycki families mixed in this discussion. My recollection is a little faded as Mike's family moved back to St. Paul when we were in the 8th Grade or so. His Dad was a rail on the Milwaukee and was one of the early Miles City casualties when that started falling apart.

I haven't seen or heard from Mike ever since but I did come across a copy of a newspaper letter in a Milwaukee Road archive a number of years ago that was written by a Mike Biedrzycki of Minneapolis-St. Paul. The letter discussed more recent railroad history and indicated the author was a rail as well. It made sense to me that it might have been written by the same fellow who grew up in Miles City.

[Edited by Jim Brady (1/2/2018 9:03:00 AM)]
supporter
Posted by Don Birkholz (+981) 3 months ago
The 1930 Custer County census lists one Biedrzycki family as Joseph, Grace, and Robert (the DJ who was in the accident). Another Biedrzycki family was listed as Anthony, Lucille, and Paul. The 1930 census was rather long and not in alphabetical order so I may have missed another Biedrzycki family or Tom may have not been born before 1930.

I have a hunch that Tom may have been at KATL for a few years since that name sticks in my memory.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

[Edited by Don Birkholz (1/2/2018 9:28:56 AM)]