Developmentally Disabled Impacted by Budget Cuts
Posted by Mary Catherine Dunphy (+1758) 25 days ago
"State Budget Cuts to Eliminate 70+ Jobs That Help Montanans with Developmental Disabilities" by Holly K. Michels, Billings Gazette, December 28, 2017

"An estimated 2,100 Montanans who have developmental disabilities will no longer be able to get targeted case management services from four existing providers statewide starting this spring. .... The elimination of contracts is the result of budget cuts made in November during a special session of the Legislature called to address a $227 million budget shortfall brought on by revenues lower than projected and the most expensive fire season in Montana’s history. . ....'This is being done on the backs of some of the most vulnerable people in the state,' Jaci Noonan said of the cuts. .... Noonan said A.W.A.R.E. will no longer provide case management to about 600 people and will have to close offices in Red Lodge, Miles City, Sidney and Glasgow. It will lay off about 21 people. ...." (Emphasis added.)

Read more at:

http://billingsgazette.co...op-story-1
permalink   ·  vote tally
+1
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+10453) 25 days ago
Meanwhile, the Secretary of State spends $58,000 to remodel his office.

http://mtcowgirl.com/2017...ng-office/
Posted by Dane Corey (+79) 25 days ago
This would be why.

+2
supporter
Posted by Jeri Dalbec (+2185) 25 days ago
This will be a terrible loss for Eastern Montana. Such needed services with over 2000 more kids needing help. The effort that is being made to tear down our State and our Country is beyond belief. So sad and sorry for those who will be losing their jobs. Totally unjustified.
+3
Posted by Mary Catherine Dunphy (+1758) 25 days ago
Be sure to give credit to your local Republican legislators, Rep. Ken Holmlund and Senator Eric Moore who helped craft this budget (and budget cuts) at the recent Special Session of the Legislature; and, then remember that Republicans controlled both the Montana House and Senate at the recent Special Session and at the last regular Legislature in early 2017.

In May of 2016, during Governor Bullock's visit to the high school, Ken Holmlund told me he doesn't believe in "big government" and that churches and private businesses can provide services that government agencies have provided in the past. We will see how well Holmlund's political philosophy works out for all the developmentally disabled and autistic children in Montana, particularly those in Miles City. Stay tuned!
+4
founder
supporter
Posted by Tucker Bolton (+2908) 24 days ago
Jeri, I know that you have a long standing, dog in this fight. The insanity of this administration's juggernaut continues to mow down those in need.
+3
founder
Posted by David Schott (+11476) 24 days ago
Our enemies love to see us internally divided and tearing down our own society. Our failures are their successes.

The Atlantic: Don't Forget to Adjust for Russian Trolls

Conor Friedersdorf Oct 20, 2017

Former President George W. Bush’s speech this week in New York City flagged a malign force in the world: the “sustained attempt by a hostile power” to feed and exploit America’s divisions.

“According to our intelligence services, the Russian government has made a project of turning Americans against each other,” Bush said. “This effort is broad, systematic, and stealthy, it’s conducted across a range of social-media platforms.” He urged new efforts to secure the American electoral system against subversion in the digital sphere.

I agree with that prescription. But I’ve long thought that evidence of online political manipulation by Russia suggests a need for something beyond changes in policy. Internet users should change their comportment, showing more charity to competing political tribes and exhibiting less pessimism about the state of U.S. politics.

Yes, there’s good cause for pessimism—and plenty of homegrown ugliness and idiocy.

Yet it’s certain that at least some of the off-putting behavior that the most digitally engaged Americans encounter is fakery created to make us think less of one another.

Our authentic online behavior isn’t quite as bad as we imagine.

Read more here.
+2
supporter
Posted by Jeri Dalbec (+2185) 24 days ago
Tucker Bolton, I think the amazing part is that AWARE works with the people who are 16 and above and that is such an important time in that there is a concerted effort to see that they are guided toward Independent Living. They are such excellent advocates and you really do need one. The programs that we have had available and have been so helpful ever since our guy was little have made so much difference. To think that there are over 2000 children in need of services and there is no room in any program and even less now.

David, I enjoyed your article and I would highly recommend that everyone read, "Democracy In Chains", The Deep History of the Radical Rights' Stealth Plan for America" by Nancy MacLean. The Radical Right are the Billionaires many times over and are Radical Libertarians. They actually found it easier to work through Republicans as they tend to lean toward less taxation..for instance, signing onto Grover Norquist's program. The Radicals are the KOCH Brothers, ALEC members and many others. The goal is to only support the Military and the Police.

So much started way back with "Brown versus Board of Education" and their hatred of Integration. It is easy to see how things are working out at the Federal Level as the Radicals are the huge donors to those that will carry out their bidding. Money is the Master☺ I think education on our part will be what makes us understand one another more than anything. I honestly think that many did not realize what was going to happen in our Country. More power to you if things work well for you. For many it will be tough to be supportive. (Opinion only☺)
+2