MT Oil, Gas & Coal Payments To Be Eliminated
Posted by Mary Catherine Dunphy (+2918) 10 months ago
If the GOP tax reform passes, we here in Montana can kiss goodbye Montana's share of federal oil, gas and coal royalty payments. The federal government splits those revenues with states where the leases are located.

How much money will Montana lose, you ask?

Well, Montana’s share of royalty payments last fiscal year was $23 million, according to the state Department or Revenue. Those payments would end under congressional pay-as-you-go rules intended to prevent lawmakers from cutting taxes without also cutting spending.

So, if you think Montana had budget problems this year, just wait until next year. If the GOP tax reform bill passes, things are going to get really, really tough here in Montana for many people -- and not just the poor this time.

If you don't like the GOP tax plan, call Senator Daines at 202-224-2651 or
406-245-6822. Senator Daines supports the tax plan. Senator Tester does not.

Read more at:

"Tax Bills Would Eliminate All Oil, Gas, and Coal Payments to Western States" by Matt Lee-Ashley & Jenny Rowland, Center for American Progress, November 20, 2017

By Matt Lee-Ashley and Jenny Rowland Posted on November 20, 2017, 3:25 pm

https://www.americanprogr...rn-states/
permalink   ·  vote tally
+2
supporter
Posted by Jeri Dalbec (+2543) 10 months ago
Thank you. This would be devastating for Montana and all of the Western States. The massive debt that they would take on if they pass the tax bill is the excuse to make cuts to Education, Farm and Ranch, Health Care, and much more. The goal is the Military Industrial Complex...and the Radical Libertarians who are running our country and have so much influence will see their long time plan come to fruition. Read "Democracy in Chains".
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+9336) 10 months ago
Some folks were rejoicing that Daines was hesitating but I knew it was all political theatre. Our economy will collapse shortly. Damn.
+1
Posted by Mary Catherine Dunphy (+2918) 10 months ago
It gets worse!

This article explains things pretty well about how much money Montana will not be getting from the federal government if the GOP tax plan passes.

"Montana's State Government Could Lose $30M in Revenue if Senate Tax Plan Passes" by Tom Lutey, Citizens Tribune, November 30, 2017

http://www.citizentribune...03080.html
+1
Posted by The man from snowy plains (-214) 10 months ago
Maybe we stop pouring tax payers money into solar and wind farms and start taxing them. That darn carbon fuel and COW farts are a bad deal.
+1
Kinda seems like the OBAMA years of Anti carbon energy is biting Montana in the rear end.
Oh by the way. Did you see your favorite Senator Tester voted against Private Schools last night. Yuppers that would include all of Montana fantastic Catholic schools. The best schools in Montana.
+1
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+8118) 10 months ago
carbon's a loser. China (and india) are going deep into solar - it would be great if America was the technology and IP leader in that field, but no, we're going to let someone else claim that spot.

We deserve trump.

And Montana's going to be losing out on CARBON royalties, numbnuts.

[Edited by Bridgier (12/2/2017 9:03:19 PM)]
+1
Nice. typical liberal. Jump right to name labels.
+1
supporter
You are correct, and I apologize for being needlessly pejorative in my description of your ignorance.
+5
The defense rests.
+1
supporter
I guess if your defense is "I can't read or reason and liberals are mean poopyheads to point that out", you certainly won't have to twist my arm to get me to agree.

YOUR PARTY is going to be responsible for sequestration mandated shortfalls on payments made TO CARBON BASED EXTRACTION INDUSTRIES. The people YOU VOTED FOR are going to do this THE STATE OF MONTANA, and through the ensuing budget shortfalls, TO YOU AND YOUR CHILDREN. NONE OF THAT HAS JACK OR POOP TO DO WITH OBAMA.

But you're going to be more pissed that that a dirty liberal called you a numbnuts, instead of the fact that the Republican party is going to steal your money now and in the future. The defense rests? The defense never got out of procreateing bed.

[Edited by Bridgier (12/4/2017 10:55:42 AM)]
+5
http://www.kulr8.com/story/37082713/clean-coal-plant-in-wyoming--for-operation-by-summer )
Technology TRUMPS STUPIDITY every time.
But you just keep thinking OBAMA era was good for America. Warren Buffett sure made good profits shipping his Oil down the Montana river banks on his Burlington Rail Road tracks.
Puget bails out of Colstrip and is scheduled to close in 2027 because of the tree huggers in the state of Washington.
With this new tax law coming into effect. I look forward to some smart investor too buy it up and the smart states of the West will have best priced electricity in the country, or even the world.
+1
Posted by Ed who fishes (-6) 10 months ago
More rhetoric from Liberals who see the writing on the wall ... First the liberals wage war on the minerals industry and shut it down and NOW they ar econcerned with losing royalty revenus from it ??!! Hypocrisy at its best (or worst)..... . Montana lost way more in royalties from the Obama administration's war on coal that shut down coal mining in Montana.... hard to have any royalties when there is no coal money being generated in the first place. Craziness!
+1
founder
Posted by David Schott (+12599) 10 months ago
Reply to Ed who fishes (#374235)
+2
Who are you trying to fool David?...Your article is written by Charles Kolstad of Stanford Institute, Mr. Kolstad is a published author on Global Warming - so much for it being an unbiased, non-goal orientated article ..and even though his Institute claims non-political affiliations, he is a STANFORD Professor and a Climate change lecturer .... If you want to try giving the appearance of credibility through citing random articles David, I suggest you do it with unbiased, un-shopped for articles .....anybody can list links for a news article that will support their own point of view David.... I could cite numerous articles put out fairly recently even by the EPA that acknowldges there is and was a governmental war on coal largely led by the liberals in the country....Just google "governments war on coal" and you can find them too, ....but the damage has been done to Montana's Industry. Mr. Kolstad's article you refer to tries to lay the coal reduction efforts on Nixon and the 1970's - He cites this as a natinal trend- but you and I both know that this wasn't the case in Montana until the Obama administration started pushing and that the demise of Montana's coal is recent and not 35 to 40 years in the making...... I may as well mention that again, my whole point in what I wrote was to point out the hypocrisy of liberals screaming about the alleged effects of coal as an energy source on one hand and then trying to use the loss of revenue from coal as a way to attach Trump on the other .... if you can't see the hypocrisy in that then we are wasting our time exchanging emails......
+1
founder
Reply to Ed who fishes (#374240)

Exactly the response I expected from you, Ed. Thank you.
+3
If that's your way of admitting your wrong David I guess I'll thank you too.
+1
founder
Reply to Ed who fishes (#374251)
You're delving into, "I know you are, but what am I?" territory with that one, Ed.
+2
No, I think your previous response went there first.
+1
founder
Ed, what precisely makes you think you are more qualified to discuss economic policy than Charles Kolstad?

https://en.wikipedia.org/...es_Kolstad
+2
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+13742) 10 months ago
Reply to The man from snowy plains (#374225)
The man from snowy plains wrote:
http://www.kulr8.com/story/37082713/clean-coal-plant-in-wyoming--for-operation-by-summer )
Technology TRUMPS STUPIDITY every time.
But you just keep thinking OBAMA era was good for America. Warren Buffett sure made good profits shipping his Oil down the Montana river banks on his Burlington Rail Road tracks.
Puget bails out of Colstrip and is scheduled to close in 2027 because of the tree huggers in the state of Washington.
With this new tax law coming into effect. I look forward to some smart investor too buy it up and the smart states of the West will have best priced electricity in the country, or even the world.

As a former resident of Gillette, I can tell you it’s a place full of failed “clean-coal” infrastructure. This will fail as well.

The only successful “clean-coal” venture is the Dry Fork power plant and it’s 1.6 billion dollar bag house filtration system.
+2
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SuCVy3RolK2v-4r9RncYWuanXHO7FZ_a/view?usp=drivesdk

The real $ (Detailed PDF ) loss of Colstrip generation and mining. Trumps EPA, can and should protect Montana assets.
Folks, keep in mind the successful management and operations of COLSTRIP Assets are all Montana Natives, Born and Educated in Montana. Built by Montana Union Labor.
Just because OBAMA 8 years war on America Energy! It is logical to protect with new technology. Wind and Solar can not come close to stable, reliable, cost effective, long term electric supply.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+11996) 10 months ago
Der der der
I luv coal. Der der der.
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+9151) 10 months ago
Good job Trump, focusing on the past and giving away our technological edge to other countries ...

Remember Zenith TVs? Or any American TV? No. You don't.

+2
admin
founder
+2
Hey sweeping snow off solar panels or picking up dead birds sounds like fun jobs. Solar and Wind must have EPA compliance as well as disposal funds held state accounts,much like final reclamation for mines and major industry sites like refineries.
admin
founder
Reply to The man from snowy plains (#374333)
It doesn't snow everywhere, and many places where it does it doesn't last long. And aside from that, renewable energy is not about a particular location - it's about technology the world wants, or will in the future. Who will lead that sector?
+1
http://www.renewableenergyworld.com/articles/2016/06/solar-pv-module-recycling-why-it-s-important.html

California has solar disposal law which should be implemented world wide. Regulated properly could be profitable. Ignored for the sake of the BIG GREEN could be a big mistake.
Posted by MilesCityMcGee (+216) 10 months ago
Overly Simplified Perspective:

I will not even consider utilizing the nearby, clean, constantly running water source because I have lots of bottled water. I've always used bottled water. It's cheap and it's the way its always been. Hard working Montanans bring that water to me.

Overly Simplified Reality:

Eventually you will run out of bottled water. What you'll be left with is the filth that's left behind by your empty bottles and unemployed workers without bottles to carry.

As someone who has utilized both solar and wind generated power, I implore you to research beyond your view of
"we dun always did it dis way and we dun need dem jobs"

Those coal jobs wont do you any good if you cant even breathe sufficiently enough to get to work in your acid rain stripped car.

More realistically -
Those coal jobs won't be worth anything the moment the coal runs out.

The World Coal Association, a global coal lobby, notes on its own website that worldwide reserves of coal are enough to last just 110 years at current levels of global consumption. Note that current rates of global consumption would obviously need to rise with population, making that 110 year length of time drastically lower.

If you think that you'll be saved by gas & oil - at current production rates - our entire planet has about 50 years worth remaining and again, AT CURRENT PRODUCTION RATES. That number is also bound to be much lower due to the increased product demand.

To bluntly and blindly JUST SAY NO to renewable energy is lunacy.
+3
Posted by The man from snowy plains (-214) 9 months ago
http://jakartaglobe.id/business/clean-coal-technology-future-asean/
All of the forms of energy needs too be conserved and used wisely. I doubt it would ever happen, The high population areas (east and west coast) of USA should be responsible for development of resources consumed.
Do we really want the western plain states covered with wind and solar.
The tree hugger states might consider Hydro and Nuclear if they have too build their own sources.
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/coal-to-the-rescue-as-record-cold-grips-the-east/article/2644591
YEAH bad carbon and AL Gore is a billionaire now
A Wyoming company can explore oil and gas drilling in a Montana coal mine's footprint, feds say http://billingsgazette.com/news/government-and-politics/article_74680092-145f-5ae5-85cc-ec0baccd3bb1.html

And Wyoming ONE-UPS Montana again. DRILL BABY DRILL
It's proactive resources that can make Montana great again. But wait, maybe Bullock will be running with Opra for President or her as VP. OH maybe Hillary would be able to get her old job back.

THEN ALL WOULD BE SWELL.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+11996) 9 months ago
+1