GOP Tax Cuts for the Rich Explained
Posted by Mary Catherine Dunphy (+1549) 21 days ago
In case you haven't been following the tax reform story -- in brief, it's great for the 1% but really terrible for the rest of the American people. Here are a few videos that explain why Democrats, like me, are against it!

permalink   ·  vote tally
+2
Here are several articles that explain in depth the disastrous GOP tax bill:

1. "The GOP’s tax cut bonanza is a major attack on Medicare" by Nancy Altman and Linda Benesch, salon.com, November 22, 2017

"According to the Congressional Budget Office, the GOP tax bill will instantly trigger $400 billion in automatic cuts to Medicare in the next 10 years, including $25 billion in the first year after enactment alone."

Read more at:

https://www.salon.com/201...e_partner/

2. "Senate Releases Tax Bill: Here's How It Compares To Current Law & The House Plan" by Tony Nitti, Forbes, November 10, 2017

https://www.forbes.com/si...804b9a4425

3. "How GOP Tax Plan Would Ruin Retirees, Underinsured" by John Wasik, Forbes, November 13, 2017

https://www.forbes.com/si...cc19be60ad
+2
Senators Schumer and Wyden explain even more:

+1
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+13426) 21 days ago
In case you haven’t been following along, progressives are going to continue losing this debate until they reframe the conversation.

What is being “cut” is investment in public social infrastructure. Governments ability to meet its moral obligations for schools, roads, conservation programs, etc. is being diminished because the top 1% want to shirk their moral responsibility to contribute. Killing brown people and those who are not Christian to keep oil flowing is the only thing thing in which the GOP is willing to invest.
+10
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+8861) 20 days ago
Now, now. They are also happy to invest in themselves and their rich friends. If they take all the money out of the economy and reduce us to third world status -- and we getting closer every day -- they will count it a success.
+4
Posted by Mary Catherine Dunphy (+1549) 19 days ago
This editorial appears in the 11/24/17 edition of the Miles City Star

"GOP Tax Plan Would Hurt Homeowners Everywhere" by Froma Harrop

https://www.creators.com/...everywhere
+2
Posted by Oddjob (+129) 18 days ago
Reply to Mary Catherine Dunphy (#373938)
Mary Catherine Dunphy wrote:
This editorial appears in the 11/24/17 edition of the Miles City Star

"GOP Tax Plan Would Hurt Homeowners Everywhere" by Froma Harrop

https://www.creators.com/...everywhere

Gee, MCD.

Who would have ever thought you were such a bleeding heart for rich people?

Frankly, I'm sick and tired of my Federal tax burden, subsidizing those poor high-earning, property-owning slobs in high tax Blue States.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+10118) 16 days ago
Personally I would be happy to pay more federal taxes if it resulted in rebuilding our nation's infrastructure and/or universal health care. But then again, I am in the minority of those who want to make America great again.
+6
Posted by Mary Catherine Dunphy (+1549) 15 days ago
Trump says he wants to make American great again. Well, back when American was "great again," and there were lots of federal infrastructure projects and federal governmental programs, it was because people were paying higher tax rates.

Here's a brief tax history lesson.

http://teachinghistory.or...rian/24489

https://bradfordtaxinstit...Rates.aspx

http://www.taxpolicycente...-tax-rates
+1
Posted by Mary Catherine Dunphy (+1549) 15 days ago
Ever wonder why Montana has such a big budget shortfall? This article explains things.

"$1 Billion in Sales, Just $50 in Taxes in Montana" by Jim Elliot, Billings Gazette, November 28, 2017

http://billingsgazette.co...c7854.html
+2
Posted by The man from snowy plains (-138) 12 days ago
TAX LAW PASSED..KINDA LIKE OBAMA CARE. IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT. TAA TAA
;^)
supporter
Posted by Jeri Dalbec (+2033) 11 days ago
"HE WHO LAUGHS LAST, LAUGHS BEST"!
+3
Posted by Mary Catherine Dunphy (+1549) 11 days ago
Here is a copy of the actual GOP 479-page tax bill as passed last night. The vote was approved just before 2 a.m. in a 51-49 vote; Sen. Bob Corker (R-TN) was the only Republican who voted no against the bill. Now the Senate bill heads to conference committee, where House and Senate negotiators will work out the differences between the House and Senate bills.

https://www.budget.senate...TITUTE.pdf

Senator Jon Tester (D-MT) tweeted this yesterday afternoon at 5:00 p.m. shortly before the bill passed:

"I was just handed a 479-page tax bill a few hours before the vote. One page literally has hand scribbled policy changes on it that can’t be read. This is Washington, D.C. at its worst. Montanans deserve so much better.
5:06 PM - Dec 1, 2017"

And, here are a couple of articles that attempt to explain things.

https://www.nytimes.com/2...utcry.html

https://www.washingtonpos...684fdd2193

Stay tuned!
+1
Posted by The man from snowy plains (-138) 11 days ago
MCD If you didn't bother to watch our great government in action LIVE ON CSPAN your are disgrace for facts posting liberal fake news. Tester is known in Washington as Montana Idiot Senator.
On a lighter note John Heenan looks like a good one for a House Representative on the Democratic ticket. A guy from Pennsylvania who came to Montana for collage and stayed. My only personal opinion is he is a Lawyer. After Clinton, I promised my self I would vote for a lawyer.
founder
Posted by David Schott (+11309) 11 days ago
Reply to The man from snowy plains (#374009)
"... who came to Montana for collage and stayed. My only personal opinion is he is a Lawyer. After Clinton, I promised my self I would vote for a lawyer."

Say what? Maybe you should lay off the sauce before posting.
+1
Hey just fat fingers on a tiny screen. Don't get your panties in a wad ;^)
NEVER VOTE FOR A LAWYER, WHEN IT'S ALL SAID AND DONE. THERE IS MORE SAID THAN DONE.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+10118) 11 days ago
Reply to The man from snowy plains (#374015)
The man from snowy plains wrote:
NEVER VOTE FOR A LAWYER, WHEN IT'S ALL SAID AND DONE. THERE IS MORE SAID THAN DONE.

There might me a grain of merit in that, but if the choice is between a lawyer and a developer, I will take the lawyer hands down.

And my comment isn't directed towards Trump (although it applies). Having been a professional consultant for over 30 years, I have found developers to be the most unscrupulous profession of them all. The lawyers, they just get paid by the developers.
+1
Good point Gunner, Developer do seem too be a shady lot. Yes it includes Trump. But some how he won fair and square. For now we're stuck with him. But really it was Never Ever Hillary.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+10118) 7 days ago
Schoolhouse Rock for the Tax Bill

+3
Posted by Rob Shipley (+402) 6 days ago
Lawyers and the New GOP Tax Cut
We all know Washington, D.C. has more lawyers per capita than any other place in the USA, right? We all also know the State of New Jersey has more nuclear waste dump sites than any other state in the Union, right? Do you really want to know the truth of this situation? New Jersey got first choice.
This easily explains why all the thousands and thousands of totally useless criminal lawyers in the United States Congress and their staffs have everything so totally f * * * *d all the time as they have.
*****In the original drafting of the Articles of Confederation that was all we had before the Constitution and the Bill of Rights, lawyers were FORBIDDEN from serving in the seat of government. Hmmmmmmmm. Wow. We sure have missed a great blessing these past 230 years, right? *****

GOP Tax Cut Bomb
Why is everyone all in a twist over this new piece of crap tax break from Washington, D.C.?
Instead of wasting your entire intellect worrying and fussing over such a bunch of feces, why not instead READ and STUDY the ******real****** guts of the Income Tax Law legislated in 1954 that DECLARES the U.S. Congress has established the Internal Revenue Service, by law, MUST ASSESS every single American person and every American business in order to LAWFULLY determine the legal amounts of taxes due ? ? ? ? ? ?
Is there strength in numbers ? Is the Pope a catholic?

Anyone who does not want to be illegally entrapped in all of this income tax mish mash and crap, just stop filing. The whole trouble disappears as easily as that. Period.

Prove me wrong. If I am not correct, anyone, please specify to me in a private email ( or right out here in the MC.com open) where it is found that Americans must assess themselves into bankruptcy doing the crappy job the IRS is supposed to do for itself in the very first place.

The IRS can come to Miles City and assess me anytime they want. I am not going anywhere. My roots are buried here and I will NEVER be assessing myself; so, life is a gift, that is why it is called the present.

Rob Shipley
Really Terrible Scary Scenario
You wonderful Children of GOD who live your lives afraid of the IRS and all their feces. You were created in your mothers' wombs by GOD Almighty and long ago. GOD desired to create each of you for His purposes, never for any such slime as the IRS and the Federal Reserve Bank and the Income Tax and all that feces.
Next April 15th you do not file the 100% illegal IRS form 1040 that is and always has been unconstitutional. {{See "Marbury v Madison, U.S. 5, 1803, "Anything repugnant to the U.S. Constitution is null and void." }}
2018 ends December 31, 2018 and nothing has happened.
On April 15, 2019, you keep enjoying MORE and MORE and MORE of your GOD given life, and, ah, just never quite get around to "self assessing" yourself and filling out another IRS form 1040.
Christmas comes again and the year ends and nothing has happened.
2020 and 2021 and 2022 is the very same GREAT story.......nothing has happened between any of you and the IRS.........because NOTHING CAN EVER HAPPEN TO ANY single one American person in less than seven (7) years with anything pertaining to the goofy, communist, totally f* * * * d up IRS !!!!!

And after seven (7) years, when the IRS finally finds you not acting like the SLAVE they always want you to be, "their" slave, what are they going to do to you? Force the Miles City Police to arrest you and jail you? No. Hell no.

The Very Worst Scary Scenario is that then, after more than seven (7) years, the IRS must have their go at you....always affording you DUE PROCESS OF LAW.
+ + + + IRS feces law is always below and beneath U.S. federal law + + + +

When the IRS then contacts you and wants to threaten you with an audit and all of that illegal bullpoop.....you then just tell them you are sooooooooooo stressed out you will commit suicide...........and that KILLS their every effort every time, every single time.

I know this well. I used this in 2006 with the TAS, Tax Advocate Service.......and the TAS immediately stopped all IRS collection efforts against me........and I was delighted to receive in the mail a reimbursement check from the U.S. Treasury for the $2,802.50 the IRS had ILLEGALLY stolen from me five (5) months before.

As Father GOD is my forever Witness,

Rob Shipley

PS So all of you know me as always relating to everyone anywhere and everywhere the absolute truth; this was done eight (8) years before the City of Miles City did force upon me not one (1) but two (2) very extreme nervous breakdowns, March 24, 2014, and May 25, 2014.
So I am nuts, OK, I can deal with this point; I already have been dealing with it, every day, every single day, since May of 1967 (though not at all times well) when I crashed my 1955 Chevy hotrod all over the front of a semi truck on the Baker highway and rewarded my brain with two (2) concussions and three (3) skull fractures and fourteen (14) days of being unconscious.

But the proof is in the pudding, right?
I have not filed a 1040 since 1976......41 years........and here I am, just as wise and as comfortable enjoying the life GOD gave to me and never one (1) day ever worrying one (1) damned bit about any threats of jail and bullpoop from the IRS...........thank you.
For all fans of Democrat Super-puke Elizabeth Warren,
She ought to be in prison, and, never ever allowed around small children.
Just my opinion.

Rob Shipley
For anyone who wasted their seven (7) minutes hearing and watching Warren's bitching and whining here in MC.com :

Bad, very seriously bad question.
This is really scary......................has this ignorant b * * *h already reproduced?
Posted by Mary Catherine Dunphy (+1549) 15 hours ago

Posted by MWinkleberry (+34) 10 hours ago
What

I just entered my moderately middle class income into cnn's tax calculator and found out It will be making a significant difference. Over 5%, when is the last time any of us have had a 5% raise.

After reading and listening to all the post above I thought it wouldn't

http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/13/politics/calculate-americans-taxes-senate-reform-bill/index.html
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+10118) 9 hours ago
"All the posts " is a bit of a stretch. My post earlier states that I am in favor of a tax increase. Another post of mine is a cartoon that pokes fun at the end of some charitable deductions.

Yes, I am a big fat dumb liberal who wants to help folks who have it worse off than me to try to get ahead.