The Gospel according to Gianforte..........
Posted by TheDude (+48) 2 months ago
"The fires weren't a result of no rain but due to the lack of forest management"
Uhm......Month after month of 90 plus degree temperatures,absolutely no moisture and throw in some lightening......Gee Greggy-just because your from back East don't mean ya gotta be dumb....
permalink   ·  vote tally
+6
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+10071) 2 months ago
And whose going to pay for this forest management? The White House is proposing to slash the Forest Service's budget. Beetle-killed trees are worth nothing. Indeed, most timber sales these days lose money due to the lack of mature trees.

I am all in favor of increased forest management if you want to raise taxes to pay for it.
+2
founder
Posted by David Schott (+11282) 2 months ago
Reply to Gunnar Emilsson (#373350)
How about shifting funds from the Defense Dept. budget to pay for it?
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+7618) 2 months ago
We're going to multiply our nuclear arsenal by 10x... better cut food stamps instead.
+1
Posted by Bob Netherton III (+1551) 2 months ago
Let's see. Plus 90 temps most of the summer in the Flathead region, choking, eye burning smoke essentially cutting off the tourist season, followed by cooler temps with rain that finally stops many of the fires and clears the smoke. Obviously, someone improved the forest management in there somewhere. It couldn't have been the weather.
supporter
Posted by Jeri Dalbec (+2027) 2 months ago
Please, take time to read, "Land On Fire" by Gary Ferguson. The new reality of Wildfire in the West. It made me wonder how much the Legislature consulted "Land Management" regarding a Fire Season before they set the budget that did not work and that they do not wish to help fix????
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+13410) 2 months ago
Even blind squirrels run into a nut once in awhile.

Our forests should be thinned to 50-100 trees per acre. This would allow herbaceous vegetation to cover the forest floor and do a better job of moisture retention, cleaner and increased runoff from snow pack. It would restore a proper fire cycle in which the suppression efforts are not needed because the fire isn't burning all that hot. We need to focus on building soil organic matter in these systems which will help remove excess CO2.

We should use the pine beetle killed and other wood removed for alcohol production in gasoline rather than pumping the Ogallala aquifer dry for ethanol from corn. This could offset some of the cost.

Making our forests and ecosystems resilient to the realities of a warmer, dryer climate is what good management is all about. Let's "git r done".

[Edited by Richard Bonine, Jr. (10/12/2017 8:01:26 PM)]
+2
Posted by Rob Shipley (+399) one month ago
" Gospel according to Gianforte" is a good cliche. Know Greg personally and pleased to say he has respected me a couple of times because I was 37 years under U.S. Navy and U.S. Naval Reserve contract and he was a Navy Seal commander.
But...............I am seriously disappointed about his recent snafu with all the flying expenditures. Very seriously not liking all of that.
Fires in Montana were bad, very, very,very bad.
But what concerns me a great deal more I am thinking the Vegas massacre and California fires could very possibly all be radical muslim jihadist events.
Some will possibly criticize this that I may have been too long in the mushrooms, but, seriously analyze all the waste and destruction......billions upon billions upon billions.

Rob Shipley
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+7618) one month ago
Zinke != Gianforte
+1
Posted by Rob Shipley (+399) one month ago
My bad. I apologize for previous entry. I mindlessly confused Ryan Zinke with Greg Gianforte. Anyway, I am seriously uneasy by both of their LACKS of performance since they were elected and appointed as they were.

Ship
+3