Stop pretending to like IPAs
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+8146) 13 days ago
Broke-Ass Stuart raises some good points. Good beer needs balance and harmony. Hoppy beer can be good. Moderately hopped beer can be good. I prefer well-hopped brews myself, but I also want to taste the malts and even the influence of the yeast. Some people, commercial & home brewers alike, are relying on hops to cover their lack of skill.

“Stop pretending to like IPAs”
--Broke-Ass Stuart
SAN FRANCISCO EXAMINER
September 28, 2017
http://www.sfexaminer.com...like-ipas/

“Somehow, Americans have convinced themselves the more hellish a beer tastes, the better it must be. Do you really want to drink a quintuple IPA that uses eleventy kinds of hops and has been arrested for assault? Sure, it gets you drunk quicker, but so does Mad Dog 20/20, and I don’t see you drinking that.”

[Edited by Hal Neumann (10/6/2017 11:31:30 AM)]
permalink   ·  vote tally
+1
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+9688) 13 days ago
I agree that there a lot of crappy IPAs out there, but I do like most of the Double IPAs I try. I don't like the ones with what they call "dank" hops, like Columbus. The old C hops of yesteryear, Cascade/Centennial/Chinook, are fantastic, as well as the fruitier hops like Amarillo, Mosaic, Eldorado, and Citra.

There is no such thing as a quintuple IPA. There is not such thing as a triple IPA. Once you go above double IPA, you are brewing "barley wine". The comments to that article hit the nail on the head - don't trust anything a guy says who is wearing a vest, earrings, and a Trilby hat, and who calls himself a poet.
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+8146) 13 days ago
I expect the comments at the Examiner will go CAPLOCK before long.

>>don't trust anything a guy says who is wearing a vest, earrings, and a Trilby hat, and who calls himself a poet.

Oh come on Gunnar. Could a stylish hipster who goes by the name Broke-Ass Stuart be less than trustworthly?
founder
Posted by David Schott (+10860) 12 days ago
I had one of these earlier tonight:

Followed by one of these:

No pretending required to like either one.
permalink   ·  vote tally
+1