Montana Cowboy HoF pulls out of Big Timber
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+8434) 2 months ago
IMO, Miles City should see if the city or county can pursue this ...

Montana Cowboy Hall of Fame pulls out of Big Timber site because of wetlands issues

BIG TIMBER — The Montana Cowboy Hall of Fame is stepping back from plans to open a large facility here after years of planning, saying undisclosed wetlands on part of the properties leased by the organization swamped their plans.

Back in 2012 the nonprofit picked Big Timber for its first physical location that, if everything went to plan, would eventually have a heritage center, exhibition hall, event center, a place to display information about the Hall of Fame inductees, an outdoor arena and more.

The spot was seemingly perfect: a building erected for a Ford dealership that never opened and an adjacent 24-acre parcel, easily viewed from Interstate 90 and right off the exit for the west side of town. A prospectus estimated it could draw 98,600 visitors a year to a community where that kind of economic boost would make a huge difference.

But now organizers say the wetlands, and more specifically the lack of being able to work with the owner of the property the wetlands sit on, have quashed all that.

“Rather than remedy the previously undisclosed and presently unmitigated wetland issues that our board discovered through our development efforts at the site, the landowners have chosen to terminate the lease to purchase contracts,” read a statement last week from Hall of Fame vice president and communications director Ariel Overstreet-Adkins.

“No path forward to develop the building site exists. This termination reverts the land and all site improvements made during the lease to the landowners.”

Read More: http://billingsgazette.co...2c9e4.html
permalink   ·  vote tally
+3
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+9547) 2 months ago
If the Cowboy Hall of Fame can't handle a wetlands permit, imagine how they would react if they tried to get a building permit within a 100 year floodplain.....
+4
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+8091) 2 months ago
Miles seems like the perfect fit for the HoF.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+8715) 2 months ago
We thought Miles City was perfect but the HoF folks aren't really so much into building an actual PLACE as raising money. They were quite obnoxious when our delegation made a presentation saying they could start small and expand. They want BIG because you can't scam the big bucks with little projects.
+3
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+13210) 2 months ago
What Gunnar said

I think is the right spot, but on the other had ya'll haven't even raised the money for the Tongue River herd, so the HOF is probably not going to happen in MC.

I wish the current Chamber Director would decide to move on. Miles City needs someone who can be a cheerleader and get poop done. I know a guy who fits those qualifications.
+2
Posted by MCMT59301 (+165) 2 months ago
The current director of the Chamber is an awesome person. The things he has helped do in MC in just the last year is amazing. I would advise you do not speak of which you do not know.

Also did you read Ammorette's reply, there is a reason MC's chance at the HOF didn't work out and it had little to do with MC, and a lot to do with the jack wagons running the HOF. MC had a perfect pitch, but the HOF people have delusions of grandeur, so MC's presentation wasn't to their liking. They think they are building the baseball hall of fame, not the rodeo hall of fame.
+4
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+13210) 2 months ago
Reply to MCMT59301 (#372614)
MCMT59301 wrote:
The current director of the Chamber is an awesome person. The things he has helped do in MC in just the last year is amazing. I would advise you do not speak of which you do not know.

Also did you read Ammorette's reply, there is a reason MC's chance at the HOF didn't work out and it had little to do with MC, and a lot to do with the jack wagons running the HOF. MC had a perfect pitch, but the HOF people have delusions of grandeur, so MC's presentation wasn't to their liking. They think they are building the baseball hall of fame, not the rodeo hall of fame.

Well, I think I do know. And if I don't, it's because the powers in charge of creating a vision for the City could do a better job of communicating their ideas.

The HOF idea was a couple of years ago. I'd think it's worth reaching out to them and see if their concepts have changed. And maybe the team of people from Miles City needs to think a little bigger. There is an opportunity here for everyone to learn and grow.
+1
sponsor
Posted by 9-0films (+382) 2 months ago
Yeah I really disagree with your sentiment of the current Director. I have worked with him on many occasion's and I can always count him to get stuff done. I have heard some stuff about this HOF coming to Miles City and it sounded like MC dodged a bullet in not jumping on board with them. As it continues to play out it is looking more and more like they are the problem, not the towns in Montana.
+4
Posted by Bob Netherton III (+1315) 2 months ago
So judging by the title of this thread, one could call this a case of Cowboyus Interuptus.
+2