Will no one rid me of this meddlesome priest?
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+8434) 3 months ago
“Meddlesome Priest:” Why James Comey Dropped This Medieval Reference in His Hearing
And the movie that will explain it for you.

The James Comey hearing has officially gone medieval. A little less than two hours into the former F.B.I. director’s highly watched testimony, Comey dropped a reference to Thomas Becket, the Archbishop of Canterbury who was killed at the casual request of King Henry II in the year 1170. The reference popped up when Senator Angus King was questioning Comey, asking him about Donald Trump’s seemingly casual but firm request to have Comey drop the F.B.I.’s Michael Flynn investigation. Though Trump did not demand outright that Comey drop the investigation, even his slighest requests come with an air of seriousness, King suggested.

“Do you take that as a directive?” King asked Comey of Trump’s question.

“Yes, yes,” Comey replied. “It rings in my ears as kind of ‘Will no one rid me of this meddlesome priest?’ ”

“I was just going to quote that,” King replied.

The line is a reference to King Henry II, who was often at odds with Becket and angrily floated the idea that someone should do away with the “meddlesome priest,” a line that basically operated as a death sentence and inspired his followers to kill Becket.

Most people today likely remember the line from the 1964 drama Becket, starring Richard Burton as the ill-fated religious figure, and Peter O’Toole as the belligerent monarch. The movie earned 12 Oscar nominations, and earned writer Edward Anhalt a statuette for best screenplay. For Comey, the reference earned a handful of laughs from anxious politicians—and a new wave of Google searches for “meddlesome priests.”

http://www.vanityfair.com...ome-priest
permalink   ·  vote tally
+4