Trump Withdrawing from Paris Climate Agreement
Posted by Mary Catherine Dunphy (+1294) 3 months ago
Here are two NASA space images of earth and Arctic ice 1979 and 2011.

permalink   ·  vote tally
+1
"The language of the agreement was negotiated by representatives of 195 countries at the 21st Conference of the Parties of the UNFCCC in Paris and adopted by consensus on 12 December 2015. It was opened for signature on 22 April 2016 (Earth Day) at a ceremony in New York."
Paris Agreement - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/..._Agreement
Protesters flocked to the White House today (06-01-17).

http://www.msn.com/en-us/...ailsignout
"Massive crack in Antarctica ice shelf grows 11 miles in only 6 days" by Doyle Rice, USA Today, June 2, 2017

"A massive crack in an Antarctic ice shelf grew by 11 miles in the past six days as one of the world's biggest icebergs ever is poised to break off.

Only eight miles remain until the crack in the Larsen C ice shelf cuts all the way across, producing an iceberg about the size of the state of Delaware.

Adrian Luckman of Project MIDAS, a British Antarctic research project that's keeping watch on the ever-growing crack, said it's the largest jump since January. The full process is known as "calving," the timing of which is "very close," he added.

Once the iceberg breaks off, it "will fundamentally change the landscape of the Antarctic Peninsula," he said.

Ice shelves are permanent floating sheets of ice that connect to a landmass, according to the National Snow and Ice Data Center. Since the ice is already floating, the newly created iceberg won't contribute to rising sea levels.

Still, studying ice shelves and icebergs is important because they "hold back the glaciers that 'feed' them," Luckman said. "When they disappear, ice can flow faster from the land to the ocean and contribute more quickly to sea-level rise."

A similar event happened 15 years ago with the dramatic break-up of part of the nearby Larsen B ice shelf. After that break, the number of glaciers behind it accelerated and are still flowing faster than before.

Project MIDAS said there is no evidence to link the growth of this rift, and the eventual calving, to climate change. However, it is widely accepted that warming ocean and atmospheric temperatures have been a factor in earlier disintegrations of ice shelves elsewhere on the Antarctic Peninsula, most notably Larsen A in 1995 and Larsen B in 2002.

Global warming has pushed temperatures up to 5 degrees higher in the region since the 1950s and could increase up to 7 degrees more by the end of the century, putting more stress on ice, according to Climate Central."

http://www.msn.com/en-us/...ailsignout
"Donald Trump vs. the World: Virtually No One Agrees with the President on Paris: It’s Trump Against the World" by Jeremy Deaton, Think Progress

https://thinkprogress.org...22783ade29
Posted by The man from snowy plains (-121) 3 months ago
It is just another poorly constructed OBAMA half assed over reach. Face it Libtards, Obama era is soon to be long over due erased.
What I would like to know. What rules will the EPA have for disposal of solar panels, Better yet, who will pay for it? We need to make sure there are funds "like mining reclaimation bond's. Does anyone on forum's have suggestions?
Instead of name calling, perhaps the Man from Snowy Plains might want to educate himself about climate change, and its existential threat to long-term survival to humanity and other species.

For starters, I suggest the website of the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine. Because of Trump's decision to opt out of the Paris Agreement, the United States is now severely out of step with the rest of the world (except for Syria and Nicaragua -- and Nicaragua only because that country didn't think the Paris Agreement went far enough to mitigate the dangers posed by climate change.) The rest of the world thinks Trump is wrong on the the facts, wrong on science, wrong on jobs and wrong on public opinion.

However, it remains possible that the Man from Snowy Plains is not interested in educating himself on climate change, and would prefer, just like Donald Trump, to engage in name calling. If not, please check out these websites.

http://nas-sites.org/amer...nd-causes/

"On September 20, 2016, 377 members of the National Academy of Sciences, including 30 Nobel laureates, published an open letter to draw attention to the serious risks of climate change. The letter warns that the consequences of opting out of the Paris agreement would be severe and long-lasting for our planet’s climate and for the international credibility of the United States."

http://responsiblescientists.org/
Well my my MCD..you just post away. Nor do I bother to read your research articles to protect your position. Their are certainly articles that don't share the same view. Certainly there has been many improvements in pollution in our lifetime here in the USA. Too jump on the band wagon the ski is falling, Let's send green money around the world too fix it isn't the only answer. So back to you deflecting on the solar panel disposal. Shut your pie hole and do the work.
Then get back with facts you find.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+13210) 3 months ago
Reply to The man from snowy plains (#372250)
The man from snowy plains wrote:
It is just another poorly constructed OBAMA half assed over reach. Face it Libtards, Obama era is soon to be long over due erased.
What I would like to know. What rules will the EPA have for disposal of solar panels, Better yet, who will pay for it? We need to make sure there are funds "like mining reclaimation bond's. Does anyone on forum's have suggestions?

I find it kinda ironic you think the climate accord is an "overreach" and yet you want EPA regulation governing the disposal of solar panels. That's rich. My question to you would be do the solar panel companies get to self-bond, declare bankruptcy, and shirk their reclamation responsibilities, like big coal did?

[Edited by Richard Bonine, Jr. (6/2/2017 8:19:07 PM)]
+2
founder
Posted by David Schott (+10672) 3 months ago
Reply to Richard Bonine, Jr. (#372255)
It's hard to tell but I think snowman was trying to offer a "tit-for-tat" regulation to stick it to the greenies.
supporter
There is outrage over Agent Orange pulling out of the Paris Climate Agreement. My immediate reaction was also a mixture of anger, disbelief, and sadness.
However, after thinking about these events for a day or so, there are some positives to consider:

-By pulling out, we reduce our national embarrassment. True, we won't have a seat at the table. But, do you REALLY want King Carbon Trump and his merry band of cash-cow capitalists representing US interests at the table? The 200+ nations that have signed on to the Paris Accord would be in a constant state of upheaval and not accomplish much anyway. I think more good comes out of this accord without the negative impacts of constant disagreement, delay tactics, and discord which are the trademark tactics employed by the Trump administration.

-The are global market forces which will force our cooperation whether we are signed on or not. If Detroit wants to sell cars outside of the US, they are going to have to comply with the terms of the Paris agreement. If they fail to comply they become irrelevant. That's not going to happen.

-California is the 6th largest economy in the world. California has a long history of leading the way on climate issues. They used to be the only state in the nation requiring a SMOG test on your car. It's now pretty standard practice across the nation. California will tell Agent Orange to go procreate himself should they attempt to mandate reducing air quality standards. California is moving forward with the terms of the Paris Agreement as are several other large states.

-Coal for generating electricity is nearly dead. Agent Orange and the folks in Campbell County Wyoming are the only ones who don't understand this fact. The power industry has shifted to natural gas and a combination of solar, wind, and hydro electricity. Accomplishing this shift is one of the main points of the Paris climate agreement. China has dropped plans for at least 107 coal-fired power plants. The market has moved on from dirty carbon. The goals of the Paris Climate Accord will be accomplished anyway.

In the face of this adversity, I am hopefully we are about to witness the true spirit of human cooperation which basically ignores Washington DC and moves ahead to do the right thing anyway. Reversing the trends in global warming happens because of the choices each of us as individuals make locally on a daily basis. It happens because individual "snowflakes" network together and become the avalanche of change we want to experience in our country and on our planet. All of the great changes in our country have come because the disenfranchised banded together to create said change.

I believe the lesson of the past couple of weeks has been to become the change you wish to see. We need to quit bitching about Trump, Russia, Gangreenism in MT punching reporters, etc. and start leading with our own ways.

Rather than debate the "reality" of climate change and perpetuate the division, let's simply move forward, (we know the way) where we can and practice resilient stewardship. Let's make local changes that our good for our planet. Rather than rattle-on about Russia, recycle, reuse, repurpose. Find a rain barrel and use it. Employ management practices that cover the surface of the earth, build soil organic matter, and capture water.

We have a bright future ahead if we simply act locally in our own spaces to protect the planet. We've got this with or without Agent Orange.
+3
"In the face of President Trump's "Pittsburgh, not Paris" rhetoric, Mayor Bill Peduto has issued an executive order that stands up for Pittsburgh's commitment to the goals of the Paris climate accord."

http://www.post-gazette.c...1706020174

Today I heard a fascinating TED Talk today about "Disruptive Leadership." One of the segments deals with how grandmothers in India are becoming "solar engineers" after taking a 6-month long course in the Barefoot College. India is moving very fast to renewable and sustainable energy, under the leadership of Prime Minister Narenda Modi. It is amazing how much progress is rapidly happening in other parts of the world.

http://www.npr.org/progra...leadership

https://www.theguardian.c...mit-target

"Also, a group of 187 mayors from across the U.S. have joined 10 governors in denouncing President Donald Trump's decision announced Thursday to withdraw the United States from the landmark Paris Climate Accord.

In fact, these mayors and governors have vowed to ignore Trump's decision."

https://weather.com/scien...d-decision
Posted by Walt Meredith (+199) 3 months ago
Reply to Richard Bonine, Jr. (#372257)
I suspect your right Mr. Bonine. It appears President Trump doesn't have what it takes to lead our nation let alone lead the world. Its a sad time for America and really ironic when you consider Trump's Make America Great sales pitch. Taking a backseat to other world powers isn't going to make us great.

The Russians and Chinese must be loving every minute of this.
+1
These are excerpts from an article that appeared in today's (06-06-17) Washington Post

"About 370,000 people work for solar companies in the United States, with the majority of them employed in installations, according to the Department of Energy. More than 9,500 solar jobs have cropped up in North Carolina alone, the study found. That’s more than natural gas (2,181), coal (2,115) and oil generation of electric power (480) combined." . . . .

"The country today has roughly 51,000 coal mining jobs, a sharp fall from 89,400 in 2011, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. The latest jobs report, out Friday, showed coal mining added 400 jobs in May." . . . .

"Solar technology had been around for decades but the industry really only took off in the United States in 2006 after George W. Bush introduced the solar investment tax credit, offering a 30 percent tax credit for businesses and homeowners. The credit — reauthorized by Congress in 2016 — has been extended through 2021."

An analysis last year from the Solar Foundation found solar jobs in the U.S. have jumped at least 20 percent annually every year since 2012.

Read more at:

https://www.washingtonpos...52399236b8
Sounds like fake news. Plus have you seen they don't pay squat and they are not union jobs, Got any on your house or property. You just move into an area full of panels and turbines and let us know how ya like it. You might consider fuel cell technology is a true clean energy, Input is natural gas and discharge is water. About the size of a normal A.C. unit.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+9547) 3 months ago

And, yes, this is me after reading a post from the Man from the Snowy Plains.

[Edited by Gunnar Emilsson (6/6/2017 2:50:45 PM)]
+1
supporter
Reply to The man from snowy plains (#372277)
The man from snowy plains wrote:
Sounds like fake news. Plus have you seen they don't pay squat and they are not union jobs, Got any on your house or property. You just move into an area full of panels and turbines and let us know how ya like it. You might consider fuel cell technology is a true clean energy, Input is natural gas and discharge is water. About the size of a normal A.C. unit.

The coal jobs in Gillette aren't union jobs, so what's your point? I live in an area full of solar panels and wind turbines. They work very well. Last summer I converted 20 windmills to solar. It's a more reliable water source for livestock water with a lot less maintenance. I think every rooftop in America should have solar voltaic panels for electricity production.
+3
Richard
Your blowing out your Pie hole,Wyoming is a right to work State. Which simply means you have a choice to pay union dues. Yup I have worked at several mines in Wyoming. Oh my yes, solar panels are great however a 25 yr life. But they must have EPA regulations on disposal. I've done the math on solar and wind generation and it sure as HELL meet the economic model too run my Irrigation pumps.nor is reliable enough too keep the ranch house and water troughs from freezing. Nope and I refuse too take a government handout finance program
For those interested in what the climate scientists are reporting, please read:

http://www.realclimate.or...hp?p=20427

Here's an article of interest from today's (06-07-27) Independent Record:

http://helenair.com/news/...f6954.html
supporter
+2
"Over 1,400 U.S. Cities, States and Businesses Vow to Meet Paris Climate Commitments" by Georgina Gustin, Inside Climate News.org, June 6, 2017

"A dozen states that together represent the world's third-largest economy and more than 200 cities had also committed to the Paris accord through various coalitions."

Read more at:

https://insideclimatenews...-327521661
Can you say BYE, BYE to the OBAMA administration. One by one they are gone forever
supporter
Yep. Trump does an outstanding job keeping his ignorant hayseed/hick/rube base like the Man from the Snowy Plains happy. Meanwhile, responsible Republicans like Sen. John McCain concedes that Obama was a better world leader than Trump...

https://www.theguardian.c...oach-qatar

(Prediction: The Man from the Snowy Plains will next post "McCain is a loser!" The dull and slow witted are so easy to predict.)
+1