Happy Earth Day, 2017
Posted by Mary Catherine Dunphy (+1270) 4 months ago
Today (04/22/17) is Earth Day and there are science marches in many cities around the world. I'm going to post some signs from these marches.

founder
Posted by David Schott (+10513) 4 months ago
Did you get enough caffeine today, Mary Catherine?
permalink   ·  vote tally
+1
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+13168) 4 months ago
I really don't relish the idea of being the Reality Curmudgeon. But, this has been on my mind all day, so hear goes:

As you are undoubtable aware, today is Earth Day. The day has been full of cleanups, marches to advance the cause of science, planting trees, and other such acts. The headlines are full of #hashtags. All of these activities are highly productive.

And yet, I am sad. I find it sad that everyday isn't Earth Day. I'm sad cleanups are necessary in the first place. I'm sad that forty some years after putting man on the moon, marches advocating the importance and truth of science are doubted and those fundamentals need to be brought back into the public discourse.
Every day should be Earth Day. The activities of Earth Day ought be a lifestyle, not a special occasion. Earth Day behavior ought to be as ordinary as buttered toast.

It's been said the strength of the Father protects the gifts of the Mother. While I don't want to veer off into the theological weeds too far, I draw comfort from this thought. Our actions ought to demonstrate we believe we play the key role as stewards we help embolden the strength of the Father.

I think Everyday Is Earth Day looks like this:
We care everyday about our carbon footprint and strive to keep it small. So we do things like slow down and try to achieve the best gas mileage possible as we commute to and from work. I have found slowing down 3 mph under the 75 mph speed limit increases my mpg by almost 10%. And the extra speed doesn't really save much time. (My boss is just climbing out of his car when I arrive. )

If you have cows, Everyday Is Earth Day means you keep your cows grouped together rather than letting them scatter. Keep their footprint small. Livestock, properly managed can be highly beneficial in increasing soil carbon, which in turn holds more water, produces more vegetation, covers and cools the surface of the earth. Let's work at being better stewards.

If you grow crops, Every Day Is EarthDay means you use cover crops to protect the soil. You treat the soil gently as a living organism.

No matter your walk of life there are things you can do to make Everyday Is Earth Day a reality. The earth is dependent on our stewardship. The condition of the earth we pass on to our children is the historic record of our stewardship. A record of excellence requires we change our behavior and make Every Day Earth Day.
permalink   ·  vote tally
+4
Well written, Richard!