Quist vs. Gianforte
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+9008) 2 months ago
Uncertain who to vote for to replace Ryan Zinke as Montana's lone representative in Congress? Then, I would recommend listening to Sally Mauk's interviews of each candidate.

Quist:

http://mtpr.org/post/us-h...p-and-more

Gianforte:

http://mtpr.org/post/us-h...s-and-more

Sally did a great job asking each candidate tough questions. Their responses speaks a great deal about their characters. I know who I am going to vote for.
permalink   ·  vote tally
+5
Posted by Bob Netherton III (+1216) one month ago
I can agree that the Gazette is acting like Gianforte owns it.
+1
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+9008) one month ago
All of the Lee Enterprises papers seem to be in the Republicans' back pocket. Sad.
+2
Posted by DJ4 (+153) one month ago
We can all talk about this and that. Is it getting down to the wire. Rob has my vote as well as my family vote. I had an awesome time meeting Rob, he made the effort to introduce himself. Think he will represent Montana very well!!!! I do think we need some balance in Washington. Lets not forget, we can't swing to hard to one side, or the other.
+2
Posted by Renegade (+46) one month ago
Let's give credit where credit is do. The 13th Amendment that freed the slaves in 1865 had 100% republican support and only 23% democrat. In 1868 freed slaves were given full citizenship with 100% republican backing and 0% democrat.
+4
And like Gianforte, renegade, the current Republican party supports a President who is a race baiting, misogynistic, billionaire with the attention span of gnat, that thinks info-wars and Brietbart are the "real news".

The current Republican party is the one that is constantly looking to limit voter's rights and put up barriers to disenfranchise minority and opposing party voters.

This is the part of the President who had to be goaded into at least sounding like he opposed anti-semitism despite the fact despite the fact that his own son-in-law and now daughter are Jewish.

Anyone who thinks the current Republican party has any semblance to the republicans of Lincoln's days is a fool and total moran.
+3
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+7429) one month ago
And how would the Republican party of TODAY vote on the 13th amendment? Be honest.
+3
supporter
.....and now it comes out that Gianforte had significant investments in Russia, specifically with the illegal annexation of Crimea.

Why, oh man from the Snowy Plains, do you continue to support this thug? Ronald Reagan is rolling over in his grave.
+2
Posted by Renegade (+46) one month ago
One says let's be honest and yet you say nothing about the blatant lies about who freed the slaves and the other response is just childish name calling. And you wonder why you lost so bad in the last election

[Edited by Renegade (5/1/2017 11:24:44 AM)]
+2
Tell us exactly who lied, and how, Renegade.
+1
supporter
Bob III, I think Renegade is confused over the meme that Mary Catherine posted that says liberals freed the slaves. I think Renegade thinks that liberals means Democrats. I think Renegade doesn't realize that the Republican party was the liberal party in this country from 1860 until around 1908.

Of course, I may not know what Renegade is thinking, so I will let he/she answer your post.
+1
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+7429) one month ago
Well, it's a little more complicated than that Gunnar - the Democrats where, on the whole, probably more liberal overall through that period, as long as it was WHITE PEOPLE getting all the free goodies.

Essentially though, the two parties were much more regionally affiliated then conservative/liberally split - the south was heavily Democratic, the north east much more Republican, etc. Across the two parties you had liberal (Rockefeller Republican) and conservative (Dixiecrat) wings.

The first big split in the democratic party came in 1948, when the Northern Democrats had the temerity to suggest that lynching should be frowned upon. Conservative Democrats harrumphed and left the party to form the Dixiecrats, who I believe ran a couple of candidates for president before returning to the fold. When the Civil Rights act of 1965 was passed, the reshuffling began in earnest, and you'll see that MANY of the republicans of a certain age started their careers in the 60's and 70's as... Democrats. Today, I think you'll see that the Republican party has purged itself of all its liberal elements, and most of its moderates, while the Blue Dog Democratic Caucus has all but vanished.

But.... what the procreate do I know? Today I learned that Andrew Jackson could have jawboned America into avoiding the Civil War, if only he'd tried harder. Frederick Douglass was not available for comment, but I'm sure he'll eventually have something to say.

[Edited by Bridgier (5/1/2017 3:24:42 PM)]
+3
Posted by Mary Catherine Dunphy (+1116) one month ago
Here's an article by Josh Manning who is a combat veteran and serves on the leadership team of Common Defense, a group of progressive veterans who want to affect political change. You can follow him on Twitter @joshuamanning23.

He writes about Gianforte's investments in Russia:

"Not all Russian business has ill intentions and there is not evil behind every corner. However, most of the businesses Gianforte has chosen to stick with are involved with Russian President Vladimir’s Putin’s creeping annexation of nearby countries, brutal internal repression, and tied to many of the people named and highly suspected in the election interference of 2016. . . . . It is important to remember Gianforte only answered that he invested in these stocks based on their performance when pressed by Quist and not anyone managing the debate."

Read more at:

http://mtcowgirl.com/2017...rl+Blog%29
supporter
I agree with Bridgier, and I stand corrected.

I admit what I posted earlier was factually incorrect.

I hope, by this post, I will inspire others to do the same, when they post something that factually incorrect.

Like......ummmm.....you know who.
+1
“Ultra-Rich” Gianforte: Right Now Technologies’ Congressman
A Newspaper Column by Evan Barrett
May 1, 2017

What separates Greg Gianforte from the rest of us? Geography, issues and wealth.

Montana is large and diverse: 144,000 square miles, 56 counties, 537 unincorporated towns & communities, 130 incorporated cities and towns, and 118,405 businesses (3078 large; 115,326 small). At the same time, Montana has only 3 members of Congress to represent our wide social, economic and geographic diversity.

If Greg Gianforte is elected to Congress, for the first time in Montana’s 128-year history, 2 of our 3 Congress members would come from the same county, same city, same industry and even the same company. Gianforte and Senator Steve Daines are both from Gallatin County; both from Bozeman; both are wealthy; and both are entrepreneurs from the same business - Right Now Technologies – on essentially the same square mile of Montana. If that profile represents you, then vote for Gianforte to be Daines’ partner in DC. But if you’re looking for someone more representative of you, your family or your locality, either Rob Quist or Libertarian Mark Wicks is your choice.

I like Rob Quist with his Montana values, struggles and all. He’s “one of us” who’ve spent a lifetime surviving in the state we love. I like his stands on issues - there are many policy reasons to choose Rob Quist in this election.

Then there is Gianforte. His record of using the courts to restrict public access to the East Gallatin River and his overall attitude on public lands management turns me away. But there is much more that bothers me about the Bozeman multi-millionaire: his desire to defund Planned Parenthood and his overall attitude towards women’s Constitutional privacy and reproductive healthcare rights; his record of opposing legal protection from discrimination for Montanans; his propensity for tax breaks for the wealthy and inherent belief in disproven trickle-down economics; his religious-based science denial; his weak attitude toward people depending upon social security, demonstrated by his statement that "there's nothing in the Bible that talks about retirement,” and Noah “wasn't like, cashing Social Security checks,” and more.

Now to Gianforte’s wealth. The standard measurement of net worth from the Center for Responsive Politics puts Gianforte’s net worth at $190 million, dwarfing virtually everyone in Congress where the average member’s net worth is just over a million. Gianforte would be the 5th wealthiest member of Congress, 171 times wealthier than the average Congressperson. In addition to that $190 million, Gianforte has a $134 million family foundation controlled by him, his wife and a son.

Gianforte’s enormous wealth raises disturbing representation issues. Gianforte told the press that his “cash in” on the Oracle sale was over $300 million. While he has earned his money and is welcome to it, I do not believe that someone worth almost $200 million can understand the daily challenges that face average Montanans. That $200 million doesn’t just place Gianforte in the Top 1 Percent Club, he is in the 1 Percent Club’s 1 Percent Club – the top 1/100th of 1% - classified as “ultra-rich.”

Remember just last year when he wrote a personal check for nearly $6 million to buy tens of thousands of TV ads to try to persuade you he was a regular guy who should be Governor. Now he is buying ad after ad to bash his opponent and tell you he can go to Washington DC and “drain the swamp” of big money influence in our national affairs. Now that’s audacious!

Gianforte’s official financial disclosure form shows annual “unearned income” of $8+ million a year. In addition, he got nearly $500 thousand in the past year just for being a board member of a California company. How does this compare to the rest of Montana? It would take the average Montana worker 222 years of working to equal what Gianforte earns in one year, mostly without actually working.

Given his immense wealth, whose interests do you think Gianforte will represent back in the DC swamp? Yours? Or will he help continue to tilt the economic playing field toward people like himself?

Think about the geography – two in Congress from one square mile, the effect of Gianforte’s “ultra-rich” status, and his positions on the issues. Then vote in your own best interests.
Evan Barrett, who lives in historic Uptown Butte, recently retired after 47 years at the top level of Montana economic development, government, politics and education. He is an award-winning producer of Montana history films who continues to write columns and record commentaries, and occasionally teach Montana history.
+3
Posted by The man from snowy plains (-93) one month ago
MORE FAKE NEWS BY LIBS
+1
supporter
Dee..you..emm..bee..ass
Dee..you..emm..bee..ass
Dee..you..emm..bee..ass
And the man from the snowy plains was his name-o.

There are oily waste disposal sites in Glendive, threatening their water quality. Shouldn't you focus your advocacy posting there?
If you are not happy with health care (wealth care) bill passed by the GOP controlled House this week, you might want to consider this before you vote. Greg Gianforte praised the bill:

"Making the case for the 'national significance' of the Montana election on May 25, Mr. Gianforte said: 'The votes in the House are going to determine whether we get tax reform done, sounds like we just passed a health care thing, which I’m thankful for, sounds like we’re starting to repeal and replace.”

Read more at:

https://www.nytimes.com/2....html?_r=0
+2
Apparently, multimillionaire, Greg Gianforte, doesn't have enough campaign money because he has been asking out-of-state lobbyists to write $5,000 checks while he was lying to the voters about health care back home in Montana! Once again, it looks like he's trying to buy an election here in Montana. I hope Montana voters are smarter than that. They were last time he ran!

Read more at:

http://intelligentdiscont...na-voters/
+2
supporter
Reply to Mary Catherine Dunphy (#371931)
Mary Catherine Dunphy wrote:
If you are not happy with health care (wealth care) bill passed by the GOP controlled House this week, you might want to consider this before you vote. Greg Gianforte praised the bill:

"Making the case for the 'national significance' of the Montana election on May 25, Mr. Gianforte said: 'The votes in the House are going to determine whether we get tax reform done, sounds like we just passed a health care thing, which I’m thankful for, sounds like we’re starting to repeal and replace.”

Read more at:

https://www.nytimes.com/2....html?_r=0

Even more significant is the fact that Gianforte lied to the voters of Montana, saying he has to study the bill before can determine whether he supports it or not, then announcing how he really feels in private to the Washington lobbyists. Drain the swamp, indeed.

This is a major scandal, yet none of the Lee newspapers in this state are reporting it. Instead, they are more concerned with "Gianforte self-reported poaching elk" and "Quist hasn't bought a hunting license in 16 years." Thank God we having the failing New York Times to keep us updated with Montana news.
+4
+1
Posted by Hanson (+102) one month ago
Trump didn’t like the latest spending bill so he is shamefully calling for our government to “shut down in September” to further his proposed spending and budget goals. Just as shameful as Trumps comments was Trump and his buddies celebrating the House passing the Republican healthcare bill in the Rose Garden. This proposed bill will bring back preexisting conditions and drastically increase health insurance costs for those more than 50 years of age. It would remove health coverage from 24 million Americans to fund an $800 billion tax cut for our nation’s multimillionaires. No wonder Gianforte is quoted in the Gazette that he’s “thankful” for the GOP healthcare vote. Do we need another self-serving millionaire in congress? No. Trump’s swamp has enough millionaires in DC feathering their princely nests. Rob Quist is a Montanan who understands the need for affordable healthcare and public investment in an advanced economy.
+6
Interesting that publicly, Gianforte was all 'I'll have to study this bill to see how it affects Montanans blar blar blar, while privately, to a bunch of conservative donors in Washington, he was all for it.
+1
Also interesting that the article regarding Gianforte's differing opinions on the bill depending on who he is talking to, is still seen in high profile in the Missoulian's website while it can't be found, at least not easily, on the Gazette's website.
+1
supporter
Yes, B3, it is quite amazing (at least to me) that Gianforte is caught lying yet still will be elected in a couple of weeks. Just shows the ignorance and stupidity of the voters of thus state.

I was just looking at a map at the New York Times website that is color coded, showing which parts of France voted for the centrist candidate, Macron, compared to his Trump like opponent. The rural vote went overwhelming against the Nationalistic candidate. Just the opposite of here. Almost if the farmers from the days of yore booted their simpleton cousins and sent them packing to the U.S.
+2
Last week, while Greg Gianforte was praising TrumpCare passed by the Republican controlled House to the Washington lobbyists (and also asking them to write him $5,000 checks), another Republican Congressman Jim Cooper (R-TN) had published a list of 30 major organizations that wrote him letters opposing TrumpCare. This is a list of 30 of the 50 major health care organizations who wrote Congressman Cooper opposing TrumpCare before it was passed. Despite the fact that all these major health organizations wrote him opposing the bill, Congressman Cooper ignored their pleas and concerns and voted along with his Republican colleagues to pass TumpCare, which is really WealthCare.

If you are sick, disabled, mentally ill, have a pre-existing condition like asthma, diabetes, multiple sclerosis, heart disease, cancer, suffered a Traumatic Brain Injury, if you are pregnant, have children, are old, infirm and dying, (or know anyone who is) you had better hope (1) the U.S. Senate does not pass TrumpCare and that (2) Greg Gianforte is not elected to represent you in the United States House of Representatives.

Rob Quist got into financial difficulties because of his serious health problems. He knows what it is like not to have enough money to pay for health care which should be considered a basic human right. Rob Quist did not declare a medical bankruptcy but paid his big medical bills. Before you vote, remember that Greg Gianforte fired an employee who got Multiple Sclerosis back in 1991. Do you really think Gianforte cares about your health problems, and whether or not you can afford to go to the doctor? I think he could care less. However, he might wish you good luck! Rob Quist knows what a serious health crisis can do to a family and family finances. Please vote for Rob Quist.

1. AARP
2. American Medical Association
3. American Hospital Association & Federation of American Hospitals
4. American Cancer Society Action Network
5. American Health Care Association
6. America’s Essential Hospitals
7. America’s Hospitals and Health Systems
8. American Public Health Association
9. National Disability Rights Network
10. National Partnership Women and Families
11. National Physicians Alliance
12. American Federation State, County, and Municipal Employees
13. National Council of La Raza (NCLR)
14. Asian and Pacific Islander American Health Forum
15. National Committee to Preserve Social Security and Medicare
16. Catholic Health Association of the United States
17. American Federation of Teachers (AFT)
18. National Education Association (NEA)
19. American Federation for Suicide Prevention
20. Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
21. HIV Medicine Association
22. National Association for Transgender Equality
23. Leadership Council on Civil and Human Rights
24. MomsRising
25. Children’s Defense Fund
26. Families USA
27. Consumers Union
28. Sister Simone Campbell NETWORK Advocates for Catholic Social Justice
29. Young Invincibles
30. Planned Parenthood

https://cooper.house.gov/...ealth-plan
+2
Charles Blow of the New York Times writes about TrumpCare -- the Republican Death Wish -- or dancing on the graves millions who will be without healthcare. The 774 comments about his editorial are also really informative.

https://www.nytimes.com/2...collection
Regarding Greg Gianforte's Russia investments:

“Montana voters deserve to know why Greg Gianforte held on to his shady Russian investments after Putin invaded Ukraine, and again when Russia was accused of interfering in the presidential election, . . . Instead Gianforte kept his Russian ties secret during his failed run for governor last year.

Read more at:

https://www.theguardian.c...-companies
This post was removed one month ago.
It was removed because it was a duplicate.
Well well, Now we see Mr.Quist has some outright Montana income tax fraud. A 100 year old barn with 3 apartments rental income..Far more factual than some FAKE NEWS in Russia.
+2
So now, "Let’s Talk about Greg Gianforte’s Support For and From White Supremacists" by Don Pogreba, Intelligent Discontent, May 11, 2017

Read more at:

http://intelligentdiscont...remacists/
Veterans and Military Families for Progress and VetsFirst PAC have endorsed ROB QUIST for U.S. Congress!

Montana veterans came out today to support Rob Quist as someone who will not only look out for them when they return from service, but who will help keep America safe.

Rob, who has consistently hired veterans and whose own brother served in the armed forces, has stated his commitment to keeping Americans safe while avoiding involvement in costly, unnecessary conflicts, like the Iraq War.

And our very own Eastern Montana Veterans speak out in support of Rob Quist:

"I'm supporting Rob Quist because he'll stand up for our values, look after veterans and our families and keep us safe. We need leaders who understand day-to-day life in Montana, not someone who will use veterans for political purposes but who won't look out for us in Congress." -- Elizabeth Wasson, Former U.S. Army Sergeant

"Rob Quist never has nor ever will turn his back on Veterans. He will always support a strong American military and he will stand tall in the fight against ISIS. I have known Rob since 1966, when we were both students at the University of Montana. Rob is a man of great integrity and will never listen blindly to any faction in Congress. He supports the Second Amendment, as a native-born Montanan, and he will protect our public lands from the billionaires that want to privatize them. We do not need another billionaire in Washington DC. Mr. Gianforte, stop telling lies and face up to the issues like medical care, balanced budgets, and the rebuilding of American infrastructure. -- Scott Walker, U.S. Army Colonel (ret.)

"I support Rob Quist for Congress because he understands and honors the sacrifices our male and female Veterans have made for this country. He’ll have our backs and will make sure our fighting men and women have the resources they need to keep us safe." -- Diane Carlson-Evans, former combat nurse, U.S. Army Nurse Corps

"Montana has the second highest number of veterans per-capita in the country. As a third Generation Montanan, Rob knows that veterans aren't a special interest group; they're our brothers, sisters, neighbors and friends. We need Rob Quist in the U.S. House because he's one of us. He'll stand up for veterans and he'll also be a steady hand to keep us safe. Veterans Memorials are sacred places - they don't belong in sleazy political attack ads. Greg Gianforte should apologize to Montana veterans for trying to use a veterans memorial for his own political gain." -- Former Captain Andrew Person, U.S. Army

Three other Montana veterans, Richard Liebert, U.S. Army Lt. Colonel (ret.), Dyrck Van Hyning U.S. Marine Corps (ret.) and James Benes, U.S. Coast Guard (ret.) made this video to outline their support for Rob Quist:

Rob has said that one of his top priorities will be to serve on the House Committee on Veterans' Affairs to improve VA health care and benefits for the nearly 100,000 Montanans who served in the armed forces.
supporter
It depresses me to no end how stupid the electorate in this state are. Sigh.
+2
founder
Posted by David Schott (+10301) one month ago
Reply to The man from snowy plains (#371989)
Billings Gazette: Guest view: Quists did nothing wrong
by RICH DEJANA

As a lawyer who practices property rights and real estate law in Kalispell, I was shocked to read a Billings Gazette article that overtly implies wrongdoing by a Flathead County resident who actually did nothing wrong.

It didn’t take me long to realize reporter Tom Lutey doesn’t understand property rights and taxation law, in fact, even the headline was incorrect. Let’s start there.

The headline, “Quist has ties to rental property not listed on state tax rolls,” is patently false. This accusation has every property rights lawyer in the state laughing. The Quist property is on tax rolls. MDOR has assessed it as rural residential (not commercial). The current MDOR classification AAB2 accurately identifies the barn as a residential structure in fair condition. Yet the article goes on to imply that because the structure is technically described by MDOR as a “standard barn” the Quists are committing some sort of wrongdoing. Nothing could be further from the truth.

The reporter even uses a quote from Bob Story who incorrectly speculates that this is commercial property. Residential property includes single-family residences as well as multifamily rental dwelling units. The Quist barn dwelling is Class 4 residential property, not commercial property. Why would this reporter include a quote from someone whose guess is blatantly wrong, unless to purposefully mislead his readers?

But perhaps the most head scratching piece of the Billings Gazette story is that it implies that if a property owner modifies or improves the structures on their property, they are obligated under the law to notify the revenue department. That is incorrect.

If this were true, every Montanan who puts new carpet in their home, or paints the exterior would need to report the building upgrade MDOR so it could reassess the property and possibly tax them more. That’s ridiculous and backwards. Whoever disagrees with MDOR’s classification or market value may request an informal review, or appeal directly to the county and/or Montana Tax Appeal Boards.

The Quists have simply not contested MDOR’s classification.

The type of invasion of privacy the article suggests is precisely why Flathead County got rid of its building permit requirements decades ago - you had to pull a permit every time you wanted to put in a new door.

Let's be clear: There are properties all over the Flathead which are undervalued and overvalued for tax purposes. The Department of Revenue has the right upon notice to enter the lands and make determinations. The people here doing the assessments are good hard working people. If something is inaccurate, they eventually try to get it right. They will do so here.

No one in this state in the Quist’s position would have done anything differently than the Quists. I’m unclear why a reporter would go to such great lengths to make a mountain out of a molehill.

Hell, there isn’t even a molehill in this case. I encourage future reporters or newspapers to contact credible sources and get the facts before diving into issues like property law that they clearly know nothing about.
+4
And, in the meantime, Greg Gianforte just loaned his campaign another $1 million -- perhaps to take out more negative television ads about the false barn story.

As the property lawyer, Rich Dejana, questioned in his "Guest View" in the Billings Gazette today (05-15-17), "Why would this reporter include a quote from someone whose guess is blatantly wrong, unless to purposefully mislead his readers? . . . No one in this state in the Quist's position would have done anything differently than the Quists. I'm unclear why a reporter would go to such great lengths to make a mountain out of a molehill . . . I encourage future reporters or newspapers to contact credible sources and get the facts before diving into issues like property law that they clearly know nothing about.

Read more at:

http://www.kansas.com/new...71052.html

http://billingsgazette.co...3693d.html

Wake Up, America! Please do not vote for Greg Gianforte who has supported white nationalist candidates in the past.
Greg Gianforte just loaned his campaign $1 million, perhaps to take out more negative television ads against Rob Quist. Wally McLane of Billings in his letter-to-the-editor in today's (05-15-17) Billings Gazette notes that the different ranchers in Gianforte's ads all wear the very same hat. I'm just guessing but it sounds like Gianforte's ads were made in New Jersey!!!

Here's Wally McLane letter entitled, "Gianforte Must Think We're Dumb."

"Most of the time I take political ads with a grain of salt, for the crap they offer. But, there are two recent ones that if the candidate and his campaign manager think the people of Montana will swallow them they need to go back to New Jersey.

One ad has to do with a man saying the ads are wrong about Greg Gianforte not supporting public access because he has had access to Gianforte's land for years. One, he might be held in high regard to Gianforte, and as a result, has been given permission. However, his statement of support is negated by the fact that Gianforte did attempt to sue the state of Montana. That is a fact! Whether anything was done about the suit is another issue. But it was done.

The other ad, and I still can't believe it was allowed to broadcast in Montana, has to do with two older ranchers. The first one just has one rancher with Gianforte. The other ad starts out the another rancher, from Belgrade, supporting Gianforte, then ends with Gianforte and the first rancher. What's the problem, you ask? Simple, really simple. The two ranchers are wearing the same well-worn, well-used hat -- same brim, crown and sweat-stain. Just how does that work? Two ranchers might start out with the same hat -- brand, shape, color, etc. Five minutes on their respective heads, and the hats change.

Like I said, if they think Montanans are that gullible, that dumb, they need to leave."
supporter
Tom Lutey of the Billings Gazette epitomizes the term "fake news." What a partisan hack.
"While it would make sense for a wealthy person interested in a bid for higher office in Montana to donate to Republican candidates, Mr. Gianforte has chosen to donate to some of the most reactionary members of the Montana Republican Party—and demonstrated a strange penchant for donating to candidate who have been investigated for breaking the law."

Read more at:

http://intelligentdiscont...and-loons/
Read what Rob Quist has to say about how, if elected to Congress, he would work for "Montanans -- not millionaires"

http://helenair.com/news/...c5736.html
http://www.quistquiz.com/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=search&utm_campaign=quist&gclid=Cj0KEQjw9YTJBRD0vKClruOsuOwBEiQAGkQjP5TAFP_tv0LU5GCvgsoGTZtQG_uq7gwgwfTMCShu0L0aAlmJ8P8HAQ
founder
Posted by David Schott (+10301) one month ago
Reply to The man from snowy plains (#372081)
That "quiz" brought to you by the Congressional Leadership Fund Super PAC. Also known as "a group of out-of-state billionaires telling you how they want you to vote to protect THEIR interests".

To steal a line from MCD: Wake up, Montana!
+4
supporter
Another fine point of the Gianforte character, is that Social Security Should be eliminated. Work until you drop. That is the Republican vision for the future.

I understand why some of you hate the brown folKS because that is how you were raised, but at least vote for the libertarian guy instead of Mr. Rich Megabucks who wants to screw us all. The stupidity of the average Montana voters depresses me to no end.
supporter
+1
Senator Bernie Sanders (I-VT) was in Montana on Saturday (05-20-17) campaigning for Rob Quist. I attended the Billings campaign event at the Metra. Bernie Sanders and Rob Quist gave great speeches. Miles City's own Hannah Nash was honored to be the first speaker at the Quist event in Billings.

In his speech, Bernie Sanders really laid out in detail how the average working American, and the poor are being royally screwed by the Trump Administration. If you have time, I highly recommend you listen to the speeches. Rob Quist is going to be an advocate for the average working person in Montana -- not the millionaire class.

Here is a link to the full event.

https://www.facebook.com/...229764982/
+1
Even the dogs in Montana are for Rob Quist!!!

supporter
A great post by Don Pogreba today, about how Gianforte is by far a bigger tax cheat than Rob Quist.

http://intelligentdiscont...g-for-him/

Another great post by James Conner explaining why angry old white people hate people like Bridgier and me (hello Oddjob!) and love Trump and the other millionaires that they want to run their lives.

http://www.flatheadmemo.c...pzerominus
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+13049) one month ago
Why Rob Quist?

The short answer is “he’s not Greg Gianforte”. In many respects, that’s all you need to know. You can go confidently vote for Rob Quist and rest assured he is the superior choice.

The long answer is about your values as a Montanan and connecting those values to the best representation. That process requires a little more thought.

The GOP doesn’t really have a platform. What they have is more of a three-legged milk-stool. The policies upon which they rest as they drain the public cash-cow are; suppression of wages, privatization of all public resources, and a refusal to invest a fair portion of their earnings in support of public infrastructure. They pride themselves on privatizing benefits and socializing costs.

A quote attributed to John Adams, one of our founding fathers, states “Government is instituted for the common good; for the protection, safety, prosperity and happiness of the people; and not for the profit, honor, or private interest of any one man, family, or class of men. So at the outset, based on his actions, his excitement to become chief engineer on the runaway Trump-train, Mr. Gianforte misunderstands the original premise on which our founders established our government. Mr. Gianforte whole-heartedly believes government is for the profit, honor, and private interest of himself and those with whom he associates. These values are not what the average Montanan believes. On this basis alone, Mr. Gianforte fails as a creditable representative of the good people of Montana.

But, lets go back to that milk stool and better understand the GOP positions Mr. Gianforte represents.

Wage suppression is all about keeping wages from finding their natural point of equilibrium based on supply and demand. Cash-cow capitalists, like Greg Gianforte, pride themselves on suppressing payroll costs. The main method they use is by failing to raise the minimum wage. They use a fear tactic here, which states that if we raise the minimum wage employers will be forced to layoff folks, and unemployment will rise. This tactic works because nobody wants to lose his or her job. But the unvarnished truth is everywhere the minimum wage has been raised, employment has increased and the economy of said locale has flourished. Seattle and the State of Minnesota are but two excellent examples.

Montanans deserve a raise. The Montana economy needs the shot in the arm which follows the courage to end wage suppression tactics. Greg Gianforte and his GOP based wage suppression tactics are not the answer. Mr. Gianforte doesn’t understand the concept of struggling. His opponent, Rob Quist does understand the struggle of those impacted by wage suppression. Mr. Quist will support measures, which end this suppression and raise the minimum wage.

Another leg of the GOP milk stool is privatization of programs intended to protect prosper and promote the common good. Actions like charging $35 to attend a Gianforte rally are actually a form of privatization. It’s pay to play government. All Montanans deserve representation, not just those who forked over the cash to obtain access to Mr. Gianforte. Voting for Mr. Gianforte is doubling down on the disastrous privatize everything agenda of the Trump administration.

It doesn’t matter whether it is public schools, public land, public prisons, etc. the GOP agenda is to privatize these institutions and resources. As private entities, Mr. Gianforte, his family and the class of people with whom he associates have extended opportunity to profit. Those who are in less affluent economic classes have resources stolen away. Gianforte and his band of merry-milkmen seek to steal things like public education and public land for their own benefit. And we have seen first-hand what happens when Mr. Gianforte privatizes land. He sues people trying to gain access to go fishing so they can feed themselves.

Montana needs a representative who will support the public good and not privatization for personal gain. That representative is Rob Quist.

And then there is the whole matter of not wanting to invest a proportionately small, but fair amount of earned income in support of public infrastructure, through taxation. Have you ever stopped to consider what a “tax cut” really represents? A “tax cut” is really permission from the collection agency to reduce the fair contribution to public system to support the common good. It’s basically a form of class warfare which believes some people, cash-cow capitalists, are “special” and so important to the economy they deserve a break in how much they should contribute. The burden is shifted to those who have a lesser ability to shoulder that burden. Mr. Gianforte is one such cash-cow capitalist. The end result of such measures of austerity is the collapse of the system. Mr. Gianforte and his band of merry milkmen should pay their fair share of taxes. They should contribute to the common good. America perhaps had the illusion of the greatness the GOP seeks when they did pay their fair share.

Rob Quist is not a member of the “band of merry milkmen”. Rob understands the lives of ordinary Montanans. He will support progressive polices vital to maintaining the common good.

Finally, if Montana elects Mr. Gianforte, two-thirds of their representation will come from just one county in the State. Mr. Gianforte and Mr. Daines are both from Gallatin County. Occupationally, they both come from the same economic sector data management and software. Neither of them has broad experiences with the sectors of the Montana economy which are most valuable, such as agriculture and tourism. We need leadership, which is willing to learn and support Senator Testor. We need team players, which will represent all Montanans, not just Bozo-angelas.

It is for these reasons I would ask and encourage you to support Rob Quist. He is the best choice to represent Montana. Let’s send him to DC with a rousing victory so he can go “In without knocking”.
+3
supporter
Very well stated, Richard.

Of course, as you know, you already got me on the short answer. I cannot fathom a politician in Montana more despicable than Greg Gianforte in my lifetime. He has absolutely no moral values.
+3