Quist vs. Gianforte
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+8649) 11 days ago
Uncertain who to vote for to replace Ryan Zinke as Montana's lone representative in Congress? Then, I would recommend listening to Sally Mauk's interviews of each candidate.

Quist:

http://mtpr.org/post/us-h...p-and-more

Gianforte:

http://mtpr.org/post/us-h...s-and-more

Sally did a great job asking each candidate tough questions. Their responses speaks a great deal about their characters. I know who I am going to vote for.
permalink   ·  vote tally
+4
founder
Posted by David Schott (+9904) 11 days ago
Reply to Gunnar Emilsson (#371644)
Quist comes across as more genuine and honest in his answers and as being more humble. He's "real people".
+6
Posted by The man from snowy plains (-20) 10 days ago
More fake news from liberals!????
+3
Posted by UM Griz (+156) 10 days ago
Reply to The man from snowy plains (#371647)
The man from snowy plains wrote:
More fake news from liberals!????

What are you talking about? The links that were posted are interviews, you jabrownie.
+5
Posted by Mary Catherine Dunphy (+810) 10 days ago
Fake News the man from snowy plains asks? Well, let’s check.

According to Wikipedia, “news is information about current events. Journalists provide news through many different media, based on word of mouth, printing, postal systems, broadcasting, electronic communication, and also on their own testimony, as witnesses of relevant events.“

Also, according to Wikipedia, “fake news is a type of hoax or deliberate spread of misinformation (false information), be it via traditional print or broadcasting news media or via Internet-based social media.”

So, no, I wouldn’t call the NPR interviews fake news. Just real news.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/News

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fake_news

But, hey, here’s an interesting fact that is not fake news about Greg Gianforte.

In a letter to the editor published in the Billings Gazette, 04-18-17, Lea Page of Red Lodge writes:

“Before running for governor (and losing), billionaire Greg Gianforte built his trophy home along the Gallatin River and tried to kill the public access easement to it. Knowing that Montana citizens would be outraged, he tried to shield himself from the consequences of suing the state by hiding behind a corporation in his wife’s name. When news broke, he claimed, “We never sued to block access.” That is an alternative fact, also known as a lie.

Le Page continues, “What would Montana be without its public access? A private preserve for the rich? Is that Gianforte’s vision for our beautiful state? Now, he is trying again. This time, he wants to buy a seat in Congress. Not in our state, Mr. Gianforte. Not in our state.”

Greg Gianforte’s attempt to block public access was well-publicized by reliably news outlets during the 2016 Montana Governor’s campaign.

Read more at:

http://missoulian.com/new...aba95.html

http://mtcowgirl.com/2017...candidacy/

Also, “Gianforte gave the Property and Environment Research Center (PERC) $1,000 as recently as 2014. . . . . In 2014, PERC attacked Montana’s Supreme Court decision to uphold public stream access. Also, Gianforte has donated tens of thousands of dollars to Foundation for Research on the Economy and the Environment (FREE), Americans for Prosperity and the Heritage Foundation that have fought to privatize national forests and sell off our public lands to the highest bidder.”

Read more at:

http://www.montanademocra...on-to-perc
+5
Posted by The man from snowy plains (-20) 10 days ago
Ok, Go with that good luck..Self made success is a good thing. Read their Wikipedia
+2
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+7381) 10 days ago
The peasants and rubes can't wait to line up to give their votes to the 'self-made man'.

It might be thin gruel, but at least it's better than what the blahs get, AMIRITE?

+3
founder
Posted by David Schott (+9904) 10 days ago
I used to consider Montanans to be excellent judges of character.

When Gianforte was asked if he believed in evolution he refused to answer the question while claiming that he had answered the question. Come on, Greg, have the courage to say what you believe in and to stand up for it.
+8
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+8162) 10 days ago
Reply to Gunnar Emilsson (#371644)
Testing out the new audio tag...

Quist:

http://mtpr.org/post/us-h...p-and-more

Gianforte:

http://mtpr.org/post/us-h...s-and-more
+4
banned
Posted by 3MTvotes (+2) 8 days ago
This post was removed 8 days ago.
It was removed because it was SPAM.
Posted by The man from snowy plains (-20) 7 days ago
But Hey MCD, HOW about posting your taxes.
+2
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+7381) 7 days ago
I'm confused, is MCD running for office? Does she have some sort of stewardship over public funds that might create an ethical conflict? Is she hiding behind a pseudonym because she's wants to talk big and tough, but is too big of a coward to do so under her real name?

Questions, questions...
+4
founder
Posted by David Schott (+9904) 7 days ago
Reply to Bridgier (#371683)
I've come to the conclusion that "snowy plains" must not be a location in Montana.
+1
Posted by Mary Catherine Dunphy (+810) 7 days ago
Maybe the man from snowy plains is one of those Russian bots we have been reading about?

One reason I support Rob Quist for Congress is because he supports single-payer health care -- in other words, Medicare for all. Quist readily admits exorbitant medical bills caused big financial problems for him and his family. The average person can really relate to that. Nobody in Canada, England, France, Australia, Spain or Taiwan ever has to declare bankruptcy because of overwhelming medical bills. Health care is a basic human right and many countries have health care systems in place that make health care accessible to all -- regardless of income, economic status, mental health, age, gender, creed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Quist

https://en.wikipedia.org/...healthcare

High medical bills have also been a factor as some Americans have chosen suicide and death rather than saddle their families with high medical debt. It's bad enough being sick, but being sick and going deeper into debt with each doctor visit can be completely overwhelming to a person on a limited income -- even if they do have insurance because often not every health care expense is covered.

http://www.huffingtonpost...23451.html

https://www.theatlantic.c...bt/381163/

I don't think Congress needs another billionaire who doesn't understand the economic challenges the average Montanan faces every day! That's why I'm for Rob Quist for Congress! I think Rob Quist understands the challenges the average person, the elderly, and the working poor are having to deal with in Montana today.

Please join me and vote for Rob Quist, the Democratic candidate for Congress on May 25, 2017.
+4
Posted by The man from snowy plains (-20) 7 days ago
Oh yes,been paying my Montana property and income tax for 35 years. Great Grandfather was a homesteader..But born into a poor broken home. Got a minimal education. Ya gotta go where the work is. The only thing I inherited was a saddle..Able bodied people should work, Not draw a government check. Yes being a self made millionaire takes years of 18 hrs a day doing work. Except when your living the dream hard work is is a true joy.
Back to the point. I figured paying my taxes was paying into my family elder folks
Medicare and social security.
Sooo who is getting their free stuff and who is paying for it! That is the question.
Just can't see where a poorly organized, banjo, party boy vs a hard working guy guy that got came up with some great idea's at the right time and a life time of better decision-making.
Ya gotta give Greg credit for getting out of the land of fruits and nuts, California. So he knows how liberals ruined what was once the best agriculture states in the country.
Medicare care for all..naw.Keep a job with insurance until you hit the age that you earned it..Quist is a looser. Gianforte is a winner.
+2
founder
Posted by David Schott (+9904) 7 days ago
Reply to The man from snowy plains (#371687)
Interesting. In 2015, guess which state, according to the U.S.D.A., was the top producing agricultural products state in the union in terms of cash receipts. Guess which state didn't make the top 10.

Source.
+2
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+8649) 7 days ago
Sigh. It always comes down to that mythical vast sea of welfare mooches out there.
+2
Posted by Mary Catherine Dunphy (+810) 7 days ago
+6
Posted by The man from snowy plains (-20) 6 days ago
No it is not welfare these days. It is social security disibilty fraud. I seen recently a individual 24 years old collecting for ANXIETY DISORDER or a bump on the head is Brain Trauma. You name it..you got it. IE, FREE STUFF

August 22 1996, President Clinton signed into law "The Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act of 1996 (P.L. 104-193)," a comprehensive bipartisan welfare reform plan that will dramatically change the nation's welfare system into one that requires work in exchange for time-limited assistance.Sep 1, 1996
+2
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+12939) 5 days ago
Reply to The man from snowy plains (#371687)
Oh yes,been paying my Montana property and income tax for 35 years. Great Grandfather was a homesteader..But born into a poor broken home. Got a minimal education. Ya gotta go where the work is. The only thing I inherited was a saddle..Able bodied people should work, Not draw a government check. Yes being a self made millionaire takes years of 18 hrs a day doing work. Except when your living the dream hard work is is a true joy.
Back to the point. I figured paying my taxes was paying into my family elder folks
Medicare and social security.
Sooo who is getting their free stuff and who is paying for it! That is the question.
Just can't see where a poorly organized, banjo, party boy vs a hard working guy guy that got came up with some great idea's at the right time and a life time of better decision-making.
Ya gotta give Greg credit for getting out of the land of fruits and nuts, California. So he knows how liberals ruined what was once the best agriculture states in the country.
Medicare care for all..naw.Keep a job with insurance until you hit the age that you earned it..Quist is a looser. Gianforte is a winner.

I appreciate you for valuing hard work. I am, however, curious why you believe being a musician isn't work. Honestly, such a belief is offensive. The success Mr. Quist had as a musician came because he worked is ass off at his craft just like Mr. Gianforte. In terms of risk, Mr. Quist had a lot more exposure to the possibility of failure than Gianforte and overcame those obstacles. I value work, as do you. I also value persistence in the face of hard times. Mr. Gianforte has little experience with hard times and difficult choices and is thus out of touch with most people in Montana. Montana is better represented by Mr. Quist as he is more reflective of the values of Montana voters.

Mr. Gianforte is nothing but a Trump-want-a-be, part of the "Art of the Steal". He believes in privatizing public resources to benefit the corporate elite. He is part of the kleptocracy stealing public resource. The truth is private industry is greatly dependent on public resources. But, if they keep privatizing everything the golden goose will die and we will all be in a world of hurt. Those who can least afford it are carrying the load for fat-cat big-shots, like Mr. Gianforte. These privatization policies hurt hard-working Montana families. Why would you vote for someone who behaves in this manner?

I also find it curious the GOP wants to downsize government on one hand and on the other promotes and elects people like Gianforte because they know how to "create jobs". Why would a downsized government be involved in job creation? Governments, especially under GOP rule don't create jobs. So the conflicted policies here are really nothing more than a smoke-screen to suck the unsuspecting and uninformed into voting for someone who has no interest in representing their true needs and values. Why would Montana want such phony representation?

Mr. Quist will do a better job of representing Montanans and the values and issues they hold dear. We elected a couple of phonies in November in both Trump and Zinke and we have seen the colossal failure over the last 90-some days. Montana should avoid doubling down on this failure. Rob Quist is by far the better choice in this election. I have confidence Montanans will wise up and make the better choice.
+11
Posted by Andy Hanson (+89) 5 days ago
Good job Dick. My brother is a Trumper, so sad that logic and common sense have gone out the window and bigotry and alternative facts come rushing in. We will survive if we keep up the rebuttal.
+4
Posted by The man from snowy plains (-20) 4 days ago
Check out @Best4MT's Tweet: https://twitter.com/Best4MT/status/856626046388625409?s=09

QUIST on gun control
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+8649) 3 days ago
Did Oddjob suffer a heart attack? Why is "the Man from Snowy Plains" now the most lucid conservative voice here? Have you all just given up, and decided to wallow in your ignorance like a pig in acorn - scented mud? Hello?
+1
Posted by Mary Catherine Dunphy (+810) 3 days ago
We Democrats in Miles City were so happy to have Rob Quist here on Sunday. He spoke about how medical bills were such a challenge for his family, and that even though they were on the brink of bankruptcy due to medical expenses, they fought their way back from the financial abyss without having to declare bankruptcy. Rob Quist knows how medical problems can derail a person's life. He knows the challenges that average Montanans face every day. He also understands that the arts are important. Very important. This is his campaign song, sung by him. How many politicians can do that?

+3
Posted by Bob Netherton III (+1094) 3 days ago
A problem with having a bunch of millionaires and billionaires in Congress is that they have little concept of how the cost of health care can derail a typical family's finances. I recall Romney ditching the questions about health care costs. His answer when questioned about it always involved his wife's life threatening illness of some kind. He never answered the question about how it would be to have a family member facing an expensive health crisis without the ability to pay out of pocket like the typical million-billionaire.

That first attempt by Trump and Ryan to"Repeal and Replace" pointed out the idiocy of these people in realation to real health care reform. You know damn good and well that Gianforte, being an avowed Trump Chump, would have been on board with that crap.
+8
Posted by The man from snowy plains (-20) 2 days ago
Quist, Gianforte meet for first time at Gazette editorial board

Anybody care too comment on this Billings Gazette Questions to Rob and Greg?
Posted by Mary Catherine Dunphy (+810) 2 days ago
Here's something interesting. It is being reported that "Republican Montana Congressional candidate Greg Gianforte settled a lawsuit from an employee that alleged he was fired after revealing he had multiple sclerosis."

Read how Greg Gianforte handled his employee suffering from multiple sclerosis back in 1990-1991 at:

http://mtcowgirl.com/2017...rl+Blog%29
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+8649) 2 days ago
Reply to The man from snowy plains (#371775)
Quist, Gianforte meet for first time at Gazette editorial board

Anybody care too comment on this Billings Gazette Questions to Rob and Greg?

Not a lot different from the questions Sally Mock posed, as I linked in my starting of this thread. A little less probing, perhaps, but we expect that from Lee Enterprises.
You may not know, but deleting a position is common, not a termination. Neither side can predict how a jury might rule. So for the sake of your data, Unless you have the discovery by the recorder all you have is gossip. Settlement would state no guilt assumed. Paying a plaintiff can and is most the time is less costly than litigation. Plus the fact plaintiff council usually is payed a percentage of settlement.It is not a win win for either side.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+8649) 2 days ago
Reply to The man from snowy plains (#371790)
You may not know, but deleting a position is common, not a termination. Neither side can predict how a jury might rule. So for the sake of your data, Unless you have the discovery by the recorder all you have is gossip. Settlement would state no guilt assumed. Paying a plaintiff can and is most the time is less costly than litigation. Plus the fact plaintiff council usually is payed a percentage of settlement.It is not a win win for either side.

As much as it pains me,I agree with the frost covered fellow from the flat lands
The Montana Cowgirl website is a poor place to find any factual news.
Thank you Gunner,I appreciate we can agree to disagree with grace.
Was it my bias? Robs several cheap shots hurt his demeanor.
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+8162) 2 days ago
The dueling gun ads.

Defend:

Grab:

+1
Posted by Mary Catherine Dunphy (+810) 2 days ago
“When it comes to the accusation of being a proponent of the sale of public lands, Gianforte’s Campaign Spokesperson Shane Scanlon issued a statement Wednesday saying, “Greg has always been clear on this issue, our public lands need to stay in public hands and he opposes efforts to transfer federal lands to the states.”

Then why is Greg Gianforte running as a Republican because the platform of the Republican Party for the State of Montana reads on page 13:

"Federally Managed Public Lands
The Montana Republican Party supports the U.S. Congress and U.S. President, other public officials and citizens of Montana and the United States to fully exert their efforts and powers to support returning federally managed public lands to the states in order to secure statehood equality and provide for better management of public lands."

Further down the same page in the 5th paragraph of the Natural Resources Section, it is written:
". . . We support the granting of federally managed public lands to the state, and development of a transition plan for the timely and orderly transfer."

https://prod-cdn-static.g...atform.pdf

The Republican Party’s National Platform is not much different.

http://mtgop.org/wp-conte...5-2016.pdf

The Montana Sportsmen Alliance has endorsed Rob Quist for the U.S. Congress.
+3
Excuse me. I don't get your point. Is the control of federal public lands by the STATE a good thing or bad thing from your point of view. Just asking. YES or NO please
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+8649) yesterday
It is a bad thing, as the state lacks sufficient funds to manage these areas. Right now Montana's public lands are essentially subsidized by the general population of US taxpayers. Montana's small population and vast amount of federal lands means we would have greatly increase our state property and income tax rates, or sell or lease them to private interests in order to pay for management. I would rather have the taxpayers on the east coast pay for it, than see my tax bill go through the roof or watch my favorite hunting grounds get sold off to a group of millionaire hunters.
+5
Posted by Bob Netherton III (+1094) 22 hours ago
I can't wait to see the "wonderful things" Trump has in store for the Bear's Ears area of Utah.

When someone says they are taking something from the government, especially something like land, they often follow with 'we're giving it back to the people'. What they are really saying is "we're taking this land from all of the people and giving it to a few people or corporations".

If you don't think Zinke, Daines and Gianforte are cut from the same cloth, there'something wrong with you.
+3
Posted by The man from snowy plains (-20) 21 hours ago
https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2017/04/26/presidential-executive-order-review-designations-under-antiquities-act

Link to Exective Order. Key word here is REVIEW. Resources to manage must be addressed for sure. The BULLOCK administration at this point in time can't even manage a simple election. Mail vote, polling places, or Absentee Ballot in a fair and reasonable manner. At this point either party would be well within their rights to throw the FOUL FLAG This is turning into a real mess for all Montana's people.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+8649) 11 hours ago
Ummm.....you seem a bit confused. The Bullock Administration does not manage an election, the Secretary of State does.

http://sos.mt.gov/

I would agree with you that Secretary of State Corey Stapleton indeed has done an incredibly piss poor job of managing this election. Just look what this genius has to say:

“If you look at the three states that have done it, you can see that populism and direct democracy at its best,” said Stapleton, who is a Republican. “All three states — Oregon, Washington and Colorado — they do all-mail-in ballots and they’re all-marijuana all-the-time states too. Is that what you want? Because that’s what you’re going to get.”

http://www.ktvh.com/2017/...-in-ballot

+3
Posted by Mary Catherine Dunphy (+810) 7 hours ago
State control of public lands is a bad thing. Most states don't have the money to manage the public lands. Additionally, many people think state management of public lands is the first step to eventually the public lands being sold off to either corporations or rich people who want the pristine land for themselves. Potentially in the future, if and when states get into financial trouble, many people can just hear the Republican politicians say, "Hey, our state is having budget trouble. Let's raise money by selling the public lands -- to the rich people (or corporations) who want the land, and who have so generously donated big bucks to our campaigns."

Democrats want to keep the public lands for everyone to enjoy, and explain their stance on the issue in the 2016 Montana Democratic Party Platform:

"HUNTING, FISHING, and OUTDOOR RECREATION
We recognize that the opportunity for Montanans to enjoy our spectacular landscapes, clean waters, and abundant fish and wildlife is an integral part of our heritage, identity, and lifestyle. We believe in public ownership of the fish, wildlife, streams and rivers of our state and rely on our government to hold these resources in trust for the beneficial use of our citizens and future generations.

We support:
The right to keep and bear arms as defined in both the Montana and the U.S. Constitutions.
Montanans’ right to participate in fair chase hunting, fishing, trapping, and outdoor recreation on our public lands, consistent with private property rights.
Montana’s Stream Access Law, including the public’s right to access streams at public bridges.
Federal ownership and management of current federal public lands in Montana and agency budget levels sufficient to meet management challenges.
Appropriate incentives to compensate landowners for the impacts of hunting and fishing, as well as the maintenance of wildlife habitat on private land.

? License fee levels adequate to fund the Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks’ proper management of the public’s wildlife and fish and their habitat as public trust resources.
? Diversity in the interests and perspectives of members of commissions and boards charged with influencing public policy on natural resources and outdoor recreation.
? Efforts to reduce chronic wasting disease, whirling disease, and other wildlife afflictions, as well as noxious weeds and invasive aquatic species.
? Public hunting as an appropriate tool for managing game populations.
? Science-based decision-making for managing fish and wildlife.
? Adequate funding for Montana State Parks to provide recreational
opportunities and to preserve Montana’s heritage within Montana State Parks.

We oppose:
? Any net loss of publicly owned lands, including any proposal to sell off federal public lands or transfer authority of federal public lands to state governments.
? The private sale of wildlife or any tags or permits intended to authorize the harvest of wildlife by any source other than the Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks.
? The increasing trend toward privatization and commercialization of public fish and wildlife18 resources in Montana."

Read more at:

http://files.www.montanad..._Final.pdf
+1
Posted by Mary Catherine Dunphy (+810) 7 hours ago
The question marks in my post above are a mistake. They should be dots or a new paragraph indentation. I don't understand what happened.
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+8162) 6 hours ago
Reply to Mary Catherine Dunphy (#371817)
Mary Catherine Dunphy wrote:
The question marks in my post above are a mistake. They should be dots or a new paragraph indentation. I don't understand what happened.

The site wasn't designed to support Unicode characters in posts, so that's why ? appears in instances they are used. I should probably update the site to support the standard. I'll look into doing that when I get the time.
+1
Posted by Mary Catherine Dunphy (+810) 2 hours ago