Posted by tom regan (+331) 19 days ago
I've voted by mail for every elections since moving to Colorado in 2009. It's easy, convenient, and economical. Mail-in ballots are especially convenient for rural voters, and voter fraud is extremely rare. The arguments from House Republicans explaining why they do not want mail-in ballots are paranoid rantings, and basically state that they are in favor of voter suppression. Why do Republicans hate democracy so much? What about being "fiscally conservative"? Mail-in ballots will save Custer County tens of thousand of dollars.

Oh, and I'm still waiting to see the evidence from President Trump on "massive voter fraud" during the presidential election.

http://lastbestnews.com/s...publicans/

On a side note, I've read Richards recent posts and agree with him. Outrage from Democrats and facts will not improve our current political situation. But the issue of mail-in ballots should be one of those instances where Republicans and Democrats can find common ground. Save money and allow the maximum number of registered voters to cast a ballot.
permalink   ·  vote tally
+9
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+8649) 19 days ago
Senate Bill 305 had overwhelming bipartisan support from all the county governments who have to pay for holding and staffing the special election. It is such a no brainer, to save money.

Even if we allow these dark money Republicans to have their way and force the counties to hold this election and staff all the polling places for one vote on the ballot, why don't these corrupt individuals provide some funding to counties to do so? Why make the counties pay? Oh, wait....it's because they are corrupt to the core.
+3
founder
Posted by David Schott (+9904) 19 days ago
Last Best News: Prairie Lights: A new low for state’s House Republicans

By: Ed Kemmick

". . .

Senate Bill 305 was short and simple. It would merely have given county clerks and recorders the authority to conduct an all-mail election to fill the U.S. House seat vacated by Ryan Zinke when he became President Trump’s Interior secretary.

Bill sponsor Steve Fitzpatrick, a Republican from Great Falls, told his Senate colleagues, “This bill is the fiscally responsible thing to do at this time. It’s the fiscally conservative thing to do.”

He was referring to estimates from county elections administrators, who said that being forced to conduct regular walk-in voting could cost as much as $750,000 statewide.

That’s a lot of money for a ballot containing exactly one item, and the costs of a traditional election would have to be picked up by the counties. There was also a reasonable concern that having a special election on an unusual day—May 25 is a Thursday—would dampen voter turnout.

The Montana Senate understood what was at stake and approved Fitzpatrick’s bill on a 35-15 vote.

Then the bill went to the House, and it turned out that dampening voter turnout was precisely what Republicans in that chamber were aiming to do.
Why? Because Rep. Jeff Essmann, R-Billings, the state GOP chairman, had sent out an “Emergency Chairman’s Report” warning of the dire consequences of allowing citizens to vote by mail.

“All mail ballots give the Democrats an inherent advantage in close elections due to their ability to organize large numbers of unpaid college students and members of public employee unions to gather ballots by going door to door,” Essmann said in the letter.

Democrats have gotten so good at exploiting the use of mail-in ballots, Essmann went on, that if Montana were to adopt all-mail voting, it would threaten “the long-term viability of our Republican Party.”

. . ."

Read more here.
+5
Posted by Bob Netherton III (+1094) 18 days ago
Just another reason why I'll never vote Republican under any circumstance.
+5
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+8480) 18 days ago
I would hate to be Jeff Essmann in a dark hallway at the capitol if Geraldine Custer catches him. Yowch. We will be voting at MCC for the special election here in old Milestown.
+1
Posted by The man from snowy plains (-20) 16 days ago
Party choice is not the issue. As Montanaians I for one am proud of elected our officials get promoted in Washington known for their hard, forthwrite,honest service for our country. Granted media has exposed voter fraud in other states.
Very unlikely in Montana, Please vote.
It is what makes Montana Great!
+1
supporter
Posted by Colette Butcher (+403) 16 days ago
It is very disheartening to see how ignorant some of our state representatives are when they are willing to have the counties put out $750,000.00 in order to hold an election just because they are afraid the Democrat candidate might win if we mail in ballots. I always thought part of their position was to be fiscally responsible to the people of Montana.....apparently not!
+8
Posted by Bob Netherton III (+1094) 14 days ago
Colette. They are extremely thrifty when they are not the major benefactors.
+3