Democrats still missing the point
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+13336) 7 months ago
Hello pelicans and puritans... This article is pretty spot-on.It also explains why factoid Mary's approach is totally fukced up. Her kind of "progressive outreach" is part of the problem, not the solution. (If Ike wanted to make America great again he'd invite Factoid Mary to lunch and get her away from the computer. )

As I have been saying: "One by one, members of the Mahoning County Democratic Party poured out their frustrations: Just months after the presidential election, they felt folks like them were being forgotten — again. The party’s comeback strategy was being steered by protesters, consultants and elitists from New York and California who have no idea what voters in middle America care about. But worst of all, they said, the party hadn’t learned from what they saw as the biggest message from November’s election: Democrats have fallen completely out of touch with America’s blue-collar voters."

Democrats these days seem to be bringing cheesecake to a gun fight. Social and human rights issues are important. But so are jobs and helping people find economic stability. We must find a way to connect these issues to voters values. The constant regurgitation of "facts" and outrage isn't going to change anybody's vote. People vote based on their values, not on "facts".

https://www.washingtonpos...e577d740be
permalink   ·  vote tally
+2
Posted by Mary Catherine Dunphy (+1468) 7 months ago
To: Richard Bonine, Jr.: I didn't appreciate your sexist comment. I'm thinking "Factoid Mary" is not a term of endearment! Why do men like you always revert to calling women names and suggesting we stay off the computer (or watch a soap opera) when we express our opinion? In a different era, you'd be the type of guy who didn't want women to have the right to vote.

That said, I did read the Washington Post article mentioned above and found it interesting. Most interesting, however, were the Comments posted (below the online article) by other readers. Here are a few:

BudO wrote, in part: “Democrats should definitely keep a laser-like focus on economic inequality. In 1970, the average listed company CEO made 19 times as much as his average workers. In 2013, the average listed company CEO made 373 times as much as his average workers. Obama liked to repeat this statistic which says it all.”

Reginald McMurdo wrote: “You are daft. The working class in the U.S. consists of about 85% of the population, and hasn't had a raise in over three decades. Although production has continued to grow at the same rate as before we were inflicted with the "supply side" economics scam, all the additional wealth created by labor in this time has been taken by the 1%.

Our economy is reported to be 72% consumer driven, and consumers are just workers with disposable income. No raises in over four decades has resulted in this failed economy, where 1% does extremely well and the rest suffer continually falling lifestyle.

Any economic system that fails 85% of the population is not suited for a democracy of, by, and for the people. The answer is to return to sane economic policy, like we used to create the highest standard of living in world history, ending with Reagan and his voo-doo economic policy."

awilson5280 wrote, in part: " . . . the plain truth is that these voters have not considered supply and demand - the world does not appear to need for them to do as much of the things that they want to be paid for doing. As hints of this reality continue to pop up in their daily lives, they blame immigrants, overseas workers, and trade agreements. The truth is that much more of their pain is due to automation and wealth inequality than it is due to people from other countries taking "their" jobs."

Filibuster21 wrote: "Trump will only take actions on issues such as Health Care, education, budget and trade that hurt blue collar workers. These folks will soon come to the realization that their already difficult."

chefchick wrote: "Well said. The reality of course is there aren't any easy answers to the question of how to restore an economy that is lost. I guess you have to make a new one. By investing in new industries, spending billions on training and loans to new businesses, infrastructure projects to support them...we need to spend money, redirected from areas that aren't currently national priorities - not spend time chasing the latest outrage. This article has made my mind up; state party platforms are being written now in advance of conventions this summer, and rather than going to any more marches and signing more petitions, I'm going to get involved in that process. I'd rather beat my head against that wall instead of at my twitter feed, and at least feel like I was doing something."

I'm thinking that once the economic pain of the Trump Administration budget, with all it cuts to programs that help people is felt, and things get even tougher for many people, -- many, many voters will realize that Trump and his Republican cohorts' policies did not have the average workers' economic best interests in mind. Time will tell!
+2
Posted by Mary Catherine Dunphy (+1468) 7 months ago
Richard Bonine, Jr. isn't the only one who wants a progressive woman like me to [shut up] and stay off the computer. In the Montana House of Representatives this session (2017), Rep. Alan Doane, Chair of the House Judiciary Committee used every bit of his power as Chair to prevent Democratic Representative, Ellie Hill from speaking while he was overseeing the hearing for Senate Bill 305. It appears Rep. Doane used the same tactic Senator Steve Daines used in the U.S. Senate when he wouldn't let Senator Elizabeth Warren speak earlier this year.

You can read about Rep. Doane's sexism in action at the 2017 Montana Legislature at:

http://mtcowgirl.com/2017...rl+Blog%29
+1
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+13336) 7 months ago
Reply to Mary Catherine Dunphy (#371564)
Mary Catherine Dunphy wrote:
Richard Bonine, Jr. isn't the only one who wants a progressive woman like me to [shut up] and stay off the computer. In the Montana House of Representatives this session (2017), Rep. Alan Doane, Chair of the House Judiciary Committee used every bit of his power as Chair to prevent Democratic Representative, Ellie Hill from speaking while he was overseeing the hearing for Senate Bill 305. It appears Rep. Doane used the same tactic Senator Steve Daines used in the U.S. Senate when he wouldn't let Senator Elizabeth Warren speak earlier this year.

You can read about Rep. Doane's sexism in action at the 2017 Montana Legislature at:

http://mtcowgirl.com/2017...rl+Blog%29

Bull s h i t! I didn't say that. I DON'T want you to shut-up. I care not whether you are a man, woman, mermaid, or something else. Your sex is not of interest to me. The aside comment I made was actually addressed to Ike, not to you. It was sarcasm.

When you use the computer, I simply want you to start reframing your reposting to a progressive point of view and connect it to people's values rather than regurgitate the conservative narrative which is how most of what you repost is written. You would be more effective.

I do think your response pretty much validates the article I posted. You went off about issues other than economics and attempted to create outrage through characterizing me as some misogynistic sexist asshole. I probably am an asshole, but I am not sexist or misogynistic. If progressives want back in power we need to be aggressive about our reframing. Relying on economic circumstances (facts) to wake up the masses isn't going to be a successful strategy.

[Edited by Richard Bonine, Jr. (4/12/2017 5:31:18 AM)]
+1