FBI Investigating Trump's Ties to Russia
Posted by Mary Catherine Dunphy (+534) 6 days ago
Today (03-20-17) the House Select Committee on Intelligence conducted it first hearing concerning Russian interference in the U.S. 2016 presidential election. FBI Director, James Comey, confirmed the FBI is conducting on ongoing investigation into Trump's Russia ties. After listening to the hearing today, it is going to be very interesting to see how this investigation turns out. The investigation continues.

You will remember that FBI Director Comey cleared Secretary Clinton and issued no warrants, subpoenas or indictments against Secretary Clinton after the FBI investigated her emails.

See:
https://www.nytimes.com/2...trump.html

If you are interested in watching this first hearing on Russian interference, you can view it at the link provided below. The hearing begins 11 minutes into the video. Another hearing is scheduled for next week.

permalink   ·  vote tally
+2
Here is a an article that offers an analysis and six big takeaways from the House Select Committee on Intelligence Hearing today. It is important to remember that this is an ongoing investigation by the FBI. Director Comey could not state today how long the investigation would take.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/...ailsignout
+2
supporter
Posted by Shu (+1203) 6 days ago
Geez, give it a rest, Mary Catherine! This website actually used to be enjoyable before you decided to turn it into your own personal Trump-bashing website. I don't like Trump either but DANG. Seems like you don't have anything better to do.
+8
Having lived through the FBI investigation into the break-in of the Democratic National Committee at the Watergate Hotel back in 1972, the Russian hacking of the Democratic National Committee's computers in 2016, and Trump's connection to Russia seem oddly similar. Our democracy was in jeopardy back in the Nixon era, and this matter is of great concern to our national security experts -- enough to warrant a hearing by the U.S. House Select Committee on Intelligence and an FBI investigation into our current president's ties to Russia. One of the points mentioned at today's hearing is that Trump is not critical of our adversary Putin, yet Trump is critical of many, many other things. That concerns me and it should concern you.

Sorry, but I don't call an FBI investigation Trump bashing. Oh, and by the way, this message has been posted in the National/World News & Issues Forum. Many people are interested in this matter. If you are not interested, you don't have to read it.
+7
There seems to be a problem connecting to the video of the hearing I posted earlier.

Try this link:

+3
Posted by Phil Shifley (+100) 6 days ago
Shu is right Trump bashing and environmental rhetoric. As far as the proceedings today, the headline is BS, it makes it sound like there are ties. They are investigating "if there are any ties" and there has been no indication that there are or were any. Previous Obama admin security people say there was never any indication of such a thing, but I guess you don't hear that because it's not something that you want to hear.
+5
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+12882) 5 days ago
Dear Factoid Mary:

Shu is spot-on. You are making us all "Mellon-coly".

-Chuck Grasslly stated today that Comey told him the FBI isn't even investigating Trump. You're being sucked into a non-issue.

- Voters vote based on their VALUES, NOT facts. Thus, everything you are doing is a waste of fukcing time, yours and everyone else's.(If you'd read the book I suggested you'd know this by now).

- Until progressives understand the point above and start connecting with peoples VALUES, they will continue to LOSE.

-Making this site less enjoyable for others is hurting the progressive cause.

I get you don't like Trump. I don't either. But he is the President and we are stuck with him for the foreseeable future.

PLEASE, cease and desist!

[Edited by Richard Bonine, Jr. (3/20/2017 10:29:34 PM)]
+5
Posted by Sage Keen (+46) 5 days ago
Maybe the answer is for the webmaster to add another category box below the sites on the front page. All the political bashing can be posted there. Let the idiots duke it out and let more intelligent gentle people converse on the forum.
+3
supporter
Posted by cubby (+1932) 5 days ago
I agree with Sage and everyone else on this matter. I really enjoy reading this site but on the front page while looking to the left column it is always cluttered with hate posts from Mary. It is really getting old.
+5
Posted by Rob Reukauf (+82) 5 days ago
For Mary, Amorette, and the rest of the progressive malcontents out there, I would just like to say one thing-HILLARY LOST!! Give it a break for cripes sake.
+3
Posted by Andy Hanson (+90) 5 days ago
I agree with Mary. This is an investigation into possible treason. I think you all will agree this is serious. Russia interfering in our election is a huge issue if the Trump folks colluded with them it is treason. Mary keep it up.
+7
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+8406) 5 days ago
No one is holding a gun to anyone's head forcing them to read Mary Catherine's threads.

Since so many of you Fox News-watching hayseeds seem to be a bit slow, let me make it easy for you.

If a thread has the word "Trump" in it, there is a 99% chance that Mary Catherine started it. So don't click on it.

I for one applaud Mary Catherine's dogged determination to educate the masses. The fact that we live in a time where the President of the United States of America is free to lie to the country because his minions has been brainwashed by Fox News is troubling yet fascinating to me.
+8
Posted by Mary Catherine Dunphy (+534) 5 days ago
That is exactly right! This is an investigation into possible treason and as U.S. citizens, both Democrat and Republican, we should be concerned. Very concerned! And, if you don't understand that, I feel sorry for you. In the meantime, I will continue posting as I follow the investigation into Russian meddling into the 2016 U.S. presidential election.

Judicial Watch is a conservative, non-partisan watchdog group composed of lawyers. Even they are concerned about Trump’s ties to Russia. In case anyone has forgotten, Russia is not our friend. They currently have nuclear missiles pointed in our direction. So, the fact that President Trump does not criticize Putin and has ties to Russia is of concern to a great many citizens here in the United States, both Democrat and Republican. Also, the fact that it appears that Putin had a clear favorite in the U.S. presidential election should make people ask why? Why did Putin favor Trump?

Read what Judicial Watch wrote about Putin:
http://www.judicialwatch....s-poisons/

President Trump and President Putin have something in common -- both do not like journalists. However, journalists are being killed in Putin’s Russia.

“Over the past decade the Russian authorities have been repeatedly urged by Western governments and international media bodies to do more to investigate the deaths of journalists. The Paris-based Reporters Without Borders frequently criticized Russia for what it described as a failure to investigate these murders. The organization further claimed that many of the murdered journalists had been critical of Russian President Vladimir Putin. Between March 2000 and July 2007, Reporters Without Borders claimed 21 journalists were murdered in Russia because of their work.”

Read more at:
https://en.wikipedia.org..._in_Russia

This is a story about a Russian activist who recently poisoned for the second time in 2 years. He survived again – but barely.

http://www.usatoday.com/s.../97437612/

So, why does Trump never criticize Putin? He criticizes almost everyone else?
+2
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+8406) 5 days ago
+2
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+12882) 5 days ago
Reply to Gunnar Emilsson (#371290)
Gunnar Emilsson wrote:
No one is holding a gun to anyone's head forcing them to read Mary Catherine's threads.

Since so many of you Fox News-watching hayseeds seem to be a bit slow, let me make it easy for you.

If a thread has the word "Trump" in it, there is a 99% chance that Mary Catherine started it. So don't click on it.

I for one applaud Mary Catherine's dogged determination to educate the masses. The fact that we live in a time where the President of the United States of America is free to lie to the country because his minions has been brainwashed by Fox News is troubling yet fascinating to me.

B U L L S H I T! PEOPLE DON'T VOTE BASED ON FACTS!!!! THEY VOTE BASED ON VALUES. FACTOID MARY ISN'T HELPING OR EDUCATING THE MASSES. SHE IS ACTUALLY HURTING PROGRESSIVE CAUSES WITH HER RE-POSTING OF ALL MANNER OF TRUMP-BASED DRIVEL. SHE REFUSES TO TAKE THE TIME TO FRAME ISSUES TO PRESENT A PROGRESSIVE POINT OF VIEW! NONE OF IT PROCREATEING MATTERS. HER POSTING IS NOTHING MORE THAN A WASTE OF CLOUD-SPACE! FRANKLY, I RESENT HER FOR HER FACTOID POSTING.

AND IT ALSO PISSES ME OFF THAT MR. EMILSSON SPENT 18 MONTHS SUPPORTING TRUMP AND EGGING PEOPLE ON THIS SITE TO VOTE FOR THE STUPID BASTARD IN THE WHITE HOUSE AND NOW HE IS SINGING A DIFFERENT TUNE; ONE THAT FITS WHATEVER HIS GAG OF THE DAY IS. ITS BULLPOOP

(THE PROCREATEING WEBMASTER NEEDS TO GET RID OF THE DAMN LANGUAGE FILTER. IF I TYPED "B U L L S H I T" I SURE AS SHOOT'N DIDN'T MEAN "BULLPOOP". GET OVER YOURSELF YOU PRETENTIOUS FOOL).

WHAT THE FBI IS INVESTIGATING IS WHETHER THERE IS A CONNECTION BETWEEN RUSSIA AND THE TRUMP CAMPAIGN. SHOULD THEY FIND ANYTHING, (THEY WON'T) IT'S A LIBERAL WET DREAM TO THINK THIS WILL SOMEHOW BE TRUMPS UNDOING. IT WON'T! THEY WILL HAVE TO PROVE TRUMP KNEW AND WAS INVOLVED. THAT WON'T HAPPEN. THERE ISN'T GOING TO BE ANY FUKCING TREASON CHARGES. IT'S A WILD GOOSE CHASE TO DISTRACT YOU FROM OTHER FORMS OF PRIVATIZATION AND THEFT OF PUBLIC RESOURCES AND MAKE OUR FOR-PROFIT MEDIA EVEN RICHER.

AND YES, DAVID, I KNOW MY CAPLOCKS IS ON AND THAT IS CONSIDERED SHOUTING. I AM SHOUTING. THIS SITE NEEDS SOME GESTALT THERAPY! DEAL WITH IT!

LATER

[Edited by Richard Bonine, Jr. (3/21/2017 1:05:48 PM)]
+2
Posted by Bob Netherton III (+1003) 5 days ago
I'm with Mary. Totally. If you don't like her posts, don't read them. There may be no quid pro quo going on BUT IT SURE AS HELL LOOKS LIKE IT! Tillerson is about to skip a NATO forum so he can go pick up another "Friendship Medal" from Putin.

At the very very least, Trump should release his tax records. All of them.
+5
Posted by DJ4 (+147) 5 days ago
I think it's funny. People are complaining about bring up the Russian charge's, against Trump's team. But, they don't mention the ridiculous wire tap accusation, that Trump made. Trump supporters have not realized that they poop in their own nest!!! I know many that have health insurance, because of the ACA (working 33 hours, that will lose their benefits) and they voted for well you guess it LMAO!
+3
Posted by Smiley (+845) 4 days ago
I'm just curious where the intelligent discourse is on these issues. It's insane how much an FBI investigation into a sitting president's campaign is being downplayed when just a few months ago Hillary being investigated was a nuclear bomb to American politics. I get that conservative Trump people are comfortable being hypocrites, but do y'all not see how blatent it's become? It's actually sad. 

First of all, to the person who said it was just an investigation and they don't have anything- they clearly have enough to investigate. Hillary was under investigation too, ya know. And guess what? They didn't find anything criminal but they did find that she was negligent.. Is there anyway for Trump supporters to look at this critically and in a non-partisan way? Trump's campaign already has sooo many sketchy ties to the Kremlin (Tillerson, Manafort, god the list is too big)

Second, this is to the person who said Hillary lost and to get over it. Shockingly, we can be critical of a President without being bitter about a loss. I have stated to others many times that I would prefer Pence, Cruz, Rand Paul, literally any other conservative you can probably name. Because while I disagree with nearly every.single.stance on issues, they are at least intelligent individuals that won't get us blown the procreate to outer space with a god damn tweet. 

You can admit our sitting president is a liar. He is. He is a liar and if Hillary or Obama or any other dem lied THAT much and THAT brazenly in office, you all would have taken your proud displays of the second amendment and took over the White House. But you and I both know that isn't the case. I'm not saying dems are pillars of Goddamn truth, but never has any politician or sitting president been so actively dishonest, and that goes for both sides of the aisle. It's a new level. 

Be integritous people, think critically, push for a better conservative president. As poopty as that is for my personal views, we need a mentally stable person in the White House

[Edited by Smiley (3/22/2017 7:47:55 AM)]

[Edited by Smiley (3/22/2017 7:49:08 AM)]
+4
Posted by nativemc (+215) 4 days ago
First of all, let me be clear. I did not like either candidate in this recent election. I made my choice of what I thought to be the lesser of two evils. I read a lot, studied their pasts and weighed the differences. I did not just watch the news. Since the election, many lies have been told and many issues exaggerated. The problem I see at this point is that the current president is very unstable and can not take criticism from any side. Please do not just listen to FOX, CNN or any of the other news outlets. Please listen to all sides, read all news and form an opinion. Do not follow party lines blindly. I hope our representatives in Washington will also do the same as I have asked.
+5
Posted by Mary Catherine Dunphy (+534) 4 days ago
Well, folks, for those of you following this story, the plot just thickened today.

It has been reported in U.S. News and World Reports that:

"Paul Manafort, former campaign chairman for Donald Trump's successful 2016 presidential run, is under new scrutiny for his activities while working for a Russian-backed ex-president of Ukraine, as Trump faces renewed questions about ties between his campaign and the Kremlin." . . .

"In August, when Manafort was the chairman of then-GOP nominee Trump's campaign, Ukrainian anti-corruption officials revealed the discovery of a so-called "black ledger" that included Manafort as the recipient of 22 payments totalling $12.7 million in under-the-table cash payments between 2007 and 2012."

Read more at:
https://www.usnews.com/ne...ne-in-2009

"Every day now, it seems, we are learning more about ties between Donald Trump and Russia," said Rep. Steny Hoyer of Maryland, the House minority whip, reiterating Democrats' calls for the investigations into Trump's alleged Russia connections to be handled independently from Congress. "The new information today about Paul Manafort, former Trump campaign manager, only thickens the 'big, gray cloud' hanging over the Trump Administration, as Republican House Intelligence Committee Devin Nunes described it on Monday. It is a cloud spawned from Russia's efforts to undermine our democracy and made darker and more foreboding by some Republicans' attempts to minimize or distract from this deeply concerning affair."

Massachusetts Rep. Jim McGovern suggested Manafort had violated federal law in failing to register as a foreign agent with the Department of Justice.

"That would be a felony," he tweeted. "Every day the mountain of Trump/Russia ties gets bigger."

Read more at:
https://www.usnews.com/ne...connection

Read even more at:

https://www.nytimes.com/2....html?_r=0
+1
+1
+1
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+12882) 3 days ago
The truth is we still don't know what Nixon knew or when he knew it. The teflon properties of Agent Orange are much more sophisticated than tricky dicky. Getting anything to stick to Trump isn't going to happen. There are many other issues more worthy of our time and attention than this story. This story does nothing to help progressives win in 2018. We need to keep our eye on the ball.
Posted by Mary Catherine Dunphy (+534) 3 days ago
"There's a Smell of Treason in the Air" by Nicholas Kristof in today's New York Times (03/23/17) is worth reading.

It starts off:

"The greatest political scandal in American history was not Aaron Burr’s shooting of Alexander Hamilton, and perhaps wasn’t even Watergate. Rather it may have been Richard Nixon’s secret efforts in 1968 to sabotage a U.S. diplomatic effort to end the Vietnam War.

Nixon’s initiative, long rumored but confirmed only a few months ago, was meant to improve his election chances that year. After Nixon won, the war dragged on and cost thousands of additional American and Vietnamese lives; it’s hard to see his behavior as anything but treason.

Now the F.B.I. confirms that we have had an investigation underway for eight months into whether another presidential campaign colluded with a foreign power so as to win an election. To me, that, too, would amount to treason."

Read more at:

https://www.nytimes.com/2...e-air.html

I think the purpose of the FBI investigation of Russian interference in the U.S. presidential election is to find out what exactly happened, who knew what when, who and what was involved, and try to prevent it from happening again in future U.S. elections. That is why I believe the FBI investigation is necessary. It seems to me, history is repeating itself.
+1
Here's today's (03-23-17) bad news coming from Kiev, Ukraine -- a murder of a former Russian lawmaker who liked life under President Putin to Nazi Germany. I think I understand why Trump never criticizes Putin!

"Bloomberg) -- A former Russian lawmaker who fled Moscow for Ukraine and likened life under President Vladimir Putin to Nazi Germany was shot dead in Kiev.

Denis Voronenkov, 45, was killed Thursday at 11:40 a.m. near the Premier Palace hotel in the center of Ukraine’s capital, local police said. His bodyguard, who was injured in the shooting, wounded the assailant and both are under guard in the hospital, police said. Ukraine blamed the killing on Russia, linking it to testimony by Voronenkov against Viktor Yanukovych, the Kremlin-backed Ukrainian leader who was ousted three years ago in street protests."

Read more at:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/...ailsignout
There was another attempted murder this week. This one happened in Moscow, Russia. This one is even more interesting because it involves a Russian lawyer involved in a case, USA v. Prevezon, which was being prosecuted by the U.S. Attorney, Preet Bharara, who Trump fired last week. The case was on the verge of going to trial in New York City just before Trump fired the prosecutor, U.S. attorney Preet Bharara.

“The reason that [the Prevezon case] is so important,” Browder told BuzzFeed News, “is this is the first major case going to trial involving money laundering from the crimes that led to the death of Sergei Magnitsky.”

The lawyer is Nikolai Gorokhov. His spokesman, William Browder — who was an alleged victim in the money-laundering scheme — says he was “thrown from the fourth floor of his apartment building.” Russian media, often controlled by the state, says he “fell while he and workers were trying to lift a Jacuzzi into his apartment.”

Read more details at:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/....ajjYpjwqo
+1
Posted by Mary Catherine Dunphy (+534) 2 days ago
One of the Trump campaign associates under scrutiny as part of the FBI investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election is Roger Stone, who was a principal with the lobbying firm, Black, Manafort, Stone and Kelly. (Manafort as in Paul Manafort who was Trump's former campaign manager and is also under FBI investigation.)

For those of us who remember the dirty tricks of the various Nixon campaigns, it should come as no surprise to learn that Roger Stone was one of Nixon’s dirty tricksters. Stone even has a tattoo of Nixon between his shoulder blades. During the Nixon administration, Stone worked in the Office of Economic Opportunity. After Nixon resigned, he worked for Bob Dole but was fired after columnist, Jack Anderson, identified Stone as a dirty trickster. In his Wikipedia page, Roger Stone brags about his first dirty trick which happened when he was a first grade elementary school student. During the Nixon campaign Stone was quoted as saying “ By night, I’m trafficking in the black arts. “ In 2007, author Matt Labash described Stone as a “lord of mischief” and the “boastful black prince of Republican sleaze.”

I think even the ghost of Richard Nixon would be appalled by Roger Stone’s role in the Trump campaign which is being investigated by the FBI. Why? Because Richard Nixon at least understood that Russia was our enemy/adversary. I’m thinking that even Nixon would not like Russian interference in a U.S. presidential election. But Tricky Dick never ceased to amaze and shock, so who really knows.

Read more at:

https://en.wikipedia.org/...oger_Stone
+1
I would like to dedicate this song, "The Future" by the late Leonard Cohen in memory of the Russian lawmaker who was killed this week in Ukraine after he compared Putin to Hitler; and, also to the Russian lawyer who is in the hospital after being thrown from the fourth floor of a building in Moscow. Wake up, America!

I would like to dedicate this song, "Democracy" (written by the late Leonard Cohen and sung by Judy Collins) to all those courageous people living in repressive regimes around the world who are working hard to achieve democratic governments and human rights. Many are being killed (and not just in Russia!) I also dedicate this song to all the courageous journalists, politicians, lawyers, government officials, human rights workers, and all the other U.S. citizens who are working hard trying to maintain our democracy and a democratic form of government in the United States.

And, finally, I'd like to dedicate this song to Vladimir Putin!

Posted by gunsngold (-2333) 2 days ago
I bet one of these girls, is nick named "rainbow snacth". She probably named herself, and is a wishful thinker.

I met a Russian at the courthouse the other day, lets boycott courthouses.
A couple of years ago, "Frontline" did an investigative report about Putin's rise to power in Russia. It's a cautionary tale.

Putin is at it again! This time it's the upcoming French presidential election. His favored candidate this time is the far-right candidate, Marine Le Pen. Putin met with her in Moscow yesterday. Wake up, France! Wake up, America!

Read more at:

http://www.usatoday.com/s.../99617564/

Posted by gunsngold (-2333) 10 hours ago
trump just OK'ed new sanctions on 9 Russian companies banning sales of their weapons to Syria. Don't sound like he is in Russia's corner to me.

This is Brics Vs Nato.

You can not have two competing currencies at large while trying to move from a petro based currency system to a resource based economy, especially when the resources are not in your hands. sorry libs, you wont get your NWO until after WW3.