founder
Posted by David Schott (+11322) 9 months ago
Chuck Berry, October 18, 1926 - March 18, 2017 (Age 90)

permalink   ·  vote tally
+2
Posted by Cheryl Gaer-Barlow (+380) 9 months ago
Oh.. Thank you for posting this. It was a nice tribute to him and his music.
+3
founder
supporter
Posted by Tom Masa (+1501) 9 months ago
The great Chuck Berry had passed on. Age 90. When in high school,I first heard Maybellene and Memphis, I was wowed. Then when I saw him on TV playing his guitar and doing the duck walk. I became a big fan. I saw him in concert in LA in the late 60's. He was great. There were so many hit songs.
Maybellene,Wee Wee Hours,Thirty Days,Brown Eyed Handsome Man,Roll Over Beethoven,Rock and Roll Music,Sweet Little Sixteen,Reelin' and Rockin,Johnny B. Goode,Carol,Memphis,Sweet Little Rock & Roller,Back in the U.S.A.,Nadine,You Never Can Tell,Promised Land,No Particular Place to Go,My Ding-A-Ling.
Rock N Roll Heaven just got a shot of adrenalin. Guess what music will be playing in my home and car the next few days?
Chuck Berry was Rock N Roll. RIP Chuck Berry
+5
founder
Posted by David Schott (+11322) 9 months ago
So many great songs is right, Tom. Here's one I like that you didn't mention:

Here's a great version of "Back in the U.S.A." with Linda Ronstadt and Keith Richards. This must've been for Chuck's 60th birthday.

+1
Posted by Oddjob (+129) 9 months ago
RIP, Chuck Berry.

Chuck Berry's greatest legacy is that he motivated millions to learn how to play the guitar, which in turn created hundreds of other legacies of Rock. Berry was an integral part of a movement in Rock and R & B music that continues unabated.

[Edited by Oddjob (3/19/2017 8:00:40 AM)]
+4
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+10127) 9 months ago
I cranked up Chuck's Anthology collection yesterday while I was brewing a New England IPA. Good stuff.

One of Chuck' greatest legacy's was how so many great albums of the 60s and 70s featured a standout cut that was either a Chuck Berry tune, or a Chuck Berry knockoff. Take one of my favorite albums, 1969's Rolling Stones live album Get Yer Ya-Yas Out. Great live versions of Stones songs, but the best are the two Chuck Berry covers. I particularly like Little Queenie on that record.

Speaking of Little Queenie, this version rocks.

+2
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+8282) 8 months ago
“That night in 1974 when Chuck Berry played Anchorage”
--Mr. Whitekeys
Alaska Dispatch News
March 25, 2015
https://www.adn.com/alask...anchorage/
+3
founder
Posted by David Schott (+11322) 8 months ago
Reply to Hal Neumann (#371393)
Great story, Hal. Thanks for sharing it!
+2
founder
supporter
Posted by Tom Masa (+1501) 8 months ago
I was listening to Chuck Berry this afternoon. His new album will be out in June. But they have released the first single from it. "Big Boys" Vintage Chuck Berry rockin' out! Download it from Itunes!!
+1