The truth about fake news
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+13238) 7 months ago
I'm observing a lot of angst and outrage by my progressive friends and news outlets over Trump's characterization of the media. The general reaction of most of the progressive media is the claims of "fake news" and general mistrust of the media is something "new" and this behavior originates with Trump.

This is a faulty belief. Nothing could be further from the truth.

For nearly 30 years, agents of chaos, such as Rush Limbaugh, have been indoctrinating their "parishioners" with this same distrust of the media. When Limbaugh came on the air in 1988, he was positioned in the marketplace as an alternative source of information. Limbaugh was the one who coined the term "mainstream media". He did this to differentiate himself. Limbaugh and company (Hannity, Savage, Jones) have been preaching the "fake news" mantra for years. We have at least one generation of voters who have no idea what news was like before this time.

Add to this toxic stew, the fact that American Christianity also preaches a message of filtering "all information through the gravel screen of scripture". American Christians are taught to see how the news lines up with the Bible. If there is a disparity, always chose what "gods word" says over what secular sources are saying.

So Trump's saying "fake news, fake news, fake news" does not originate with him. Trump isn't espousing some new belief. Tump assumed the office of the President because those who voted for him ALREADY BELIEVED THE NEWS IS "FAKE". Trump is simply articulating something THEY AREADY believe. He is the long awaited voice who can finally take executive/legislative action on all of the issues Limbaugh and company have been whining about for the last 30 years.

Thus, when the Whitehouse take action like barring certain news agencies from attending a briefing, the Trump supporters are going to approve and rejoice because they've been listening to noisy sources who have told them for most of their lives that CNN, etc. are not to be trusted.

Meanwhile, progressive are all wrapped up in a "this is an attack on the 1st amendment" frame. While this is true, it doesn't properly frame the issue for proper reporting. What should be reported?

All of the news organizations banned from attending the news conference also happened to be those organizations who reported on Trumps ties to Russia. Sounds like a clear crime motive. This, and only this, is how the current administrations actions should be characterized.

Progressives need to understand the enormity of the problem they have in communicating with the American voter. Having grown up on the conservative side of the isle and then switching sides, I believe most progressives underestimate or are completely oblivious to the invasive and entrenched nature of the conservative belief system. Our superficial reactions aren't enough to overcome the problem.

Progressives need to clearly understand they are THE NEXT candidate species on the endangered species list. Unless we start thinking and acting systematically and strategically, we will go the way of the dinosaurs and snail darter. When conservatives speak of "downsizing" and "privatization" it is the progressive brand of Americanism they have in mind to downsize, privatize and eliminate. I have heard Rush Limbaugh say numerous times, he was going to "stay on the air until America agreed with him". Seems like he is on the way to reaching his goal. (Please forgive my pessimistic view, but we need to be honest.)

It's passed time we get our poop in a group and not only resist, but begin changing the hearts an minds of our neighbors. We have a lot of work to do.
permalink   ·  vote tally
+4
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+8146) 7 months ago
Richard, you might find this of interest, or you might not ; -)

“The True History of Fake News”
Robert Darnton
THE NEW YORK REVIEW OF BOOKS
February 13, 2017
http://www.nybooks.com/da...fake-news/
+3
Posted by Oddjob (+112) 7 months ago
“Believe only half of what you see and nothing that you hear.”

--Dubiously attributed to several persons--

I don't care who you follow or listen to; if you don't heed that warning, you are an idiot.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+9689) 4 months ago
+1