Joseph Scott
Posted by FlatCreek (+7) one month ago
I'm trying to find information on Joseph Scott. He established the SH ranch on the Tongue River. He was an associate of Frank Robertson. He was the 2nd President of the Montana Stock growers association. He was allegedly a widely known cattleman that has sort of been lost to history.
Posted by Cindy Stalcup (+576) one month ago
Joseph Scott
s/o John Scott / Jane Steele

He was the youngest of 10 children. In the parish church there stands this entry, No. 143 "Joseph, son of John and Jane Scott, Drumclamph, was born September 12, 1843, and baptized October 2, 1843. Registered October 5, 1843, by me Edward M. Banks. He was engaged in stock raising and made a number of trips to England to import horses and cattle for the ranches he was interested in. His first trip was in 1879 after he had been in America 16 years. In June 1898 on a return trip he stopped at North Adams, MA where he met Miss Annette Bartlett through a letter or introduction of friends, 3 years afterwards she became his wife. Going directly to Berkeley, CA where they made their home for 6 months then returned to Spokane, WA. His work frequently called him away from home, but during his absence however pressing the demands, the daily letter to his wife was never omitted. During the summer of 1906 his business called him east and upon is return him his health became seriously effected and his Doctor advised he take a voyage of the Mediterranean. On the 18th of Dec they left from Spokane for New York and set sail aboard the SS Caronia for Naples. Upon his death bed he spoke - "God is going to take me to Heaven. I Am Not Afraid to Die" On the 24th of Mar 1906 with his wife at his side, the sweet spirit of Mr. Scott was called home to Heaven. On the 3rd of April a memorial service was held in and English cemetery. Arriving at Spokane a memorial service was held the 2nd of May at All Saints Cathedral and Fairmount cemetery. Services conducted by the dean of the cathedral the Very Rev. Alfred Lockwood, assisted by Rev. Henry A. James.

married 27 May 1901 Trinity Church Chicago
Miss Annette Bartlett
------------------------------------
ref: History of the city of Spokane and Spokane Co., WA Vol II by N. W. Durham 1912

He lived in Miles City for 1900 census. I found 2 different passport apps & a photo
permalink   ·  vote tally
+2
Posted by FlatCreek (+7) 21 days ago
Thanks for the obituary information. The fact he was "engaged in stock raising" doesn't give a lot background on his ranching empire. I was hoping to get information on his time in Miles City, his ranching interests or info on the Northern Cattle Company. I have seen tidbits where he helped create the Montana Stock Growers Association and was the Second President. I have seen him listed alongside cattle barons like Conrad Kohrs and Granville Stuart, but now he has been forgotten to history. I have found on this site Joe Farnum was a book keeper for the Northern Cattle Company managed by Joe Scott. John Burgess worked for the Northern Cattle Company and Joe Scott was the Manager. Who was this Joe Scott, I think he was an interesting character, but hard to find details on.

[Edited by FlatCreek (3/7/2017 5:09:13 PM)]

[Edited by FlatCreek (3/7/2017 5:14:36 PM)]
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+7579) 21 days ago
There’s not a lot, but I think there’s a bit of information about the man in:
Helen Carey Jones. CUSTER COUNTY AREA HISTORY: AS WE RECALL: A CENTENNIAL HISTORY OF CUSTER COUNTY, MONTANA, 1889-1989 (1990).
Available in the history section of milescity .com – here’s the link:
http://cdn.milescity.com/...(1990).pdf
Posted by FlatCreek (+7) 19 days ago
That is kind of interesting conflicting history. The history from the Spokane history book which I'm familiar with has him born in England. The Custer History book has him born in Virginia. I tend to believe the fact he was born in England. The rest of the story in the Custer book sounds right he established the SH ranch on the tongue river in 1879. Their second ranch was near Birney and was sold to Captain Joseph T Brown. It must have been quite a time he moved into Montana with 20,000 head of cattle in 1879. Does anyone know an H. R. King of Miles City, Joe Scott is reported to have married his wife's half sister.

[Edited by FlatCreek (3/9/2017 9:00:35 PM)]
supporter
Posted by Jeri Dalbec (+1752) 18 days ago
Just looking in Dr. Lorman Hoopes book, "This Last West" and there is a bit about the NORTHERN CATTLE CO. that reads: (Yj 2/6/86) as of 1/8/86, successor, "Scott and Co." (Cattle Co.) co.p.o MC; Joseph Scott, mgr., p.o. MC; William H. Cotant, foreman; p.o. MC; range TR, PR and Little PR, Custer Co., M.T.

That is exactly the way it reads in the book. There is quite a bit about Joseph Scott..'44: born Tyronne Co., North Ireland; Page 313 if you have access to the book. It does mention that he was appointed as a delegate of NSGA, to first annual meeting, National Cattle and Horse Growers Association of United States....'85.
Posted by FlatCreek (+7) 14 days ago
Dr. Hoopes book is very informative. One interesting thing about Dr. Hoopes book is that it doesn't mention anything of the Montana Stock Growers Association. The Custer county history book says he was the Montana Stock Growers president for 8 years. The most interesting thing I have found is a quote from his obituary in the Billings Gazette. "Wherever cattle are raised in the far west, wether it be in California, Oregon, Nevada, Montana, Wyoming or any other great grazing states, "Joe" Scott was known." That is a pretty impressive byline for someone that now I can only find snippets of information on.