Drain the swamp?
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+10077) 11 months ago
Every American should be disgusted by the House Republicans, holding a secret vote to abolish independent ethics oversight of their activities. Fortunately for us Americans, President-elect Trump sees through their malarkey.

The top ethics lawyers under Presidents George W. Bush and Barack Obama said in a joint statement that Congress was “setting itself up to be dogged by scandals and ethics issues for years” and was returning the House to “dark days.”

What's Congress's approval rating, like 9%? It ought to be lower.

https://www.yahoo.com/new...07034.html
permalink   ·  vote tally
+6
Posted by Mary Catherine Dunphy (+1541) 11 months ago
“Republicans claim they want to ‘drain the swamp,’ but the night before the new Congress gets sworn in, the House GOP has eliminated the only independent ethics oversight of their actions. Evidently, ethics are the first casualty of the new Republican Congress.

“The Office of Congressional Ethics is essential to an effective ethics process in the House, providing a vital element of transparency and accountability to the ethics process. The amendment Republicans approved tonight would functionally destroy this office.

“Congress must hold itself to the highest standards of conduct. Instead, the House Republicans Conference has acted to weaken ethics and silence would-be whistleblowers.”
by: Nancy Pelosi

http://www.democraticlead...oom/12172/
+3
+2
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+10077) 11 months ago
Heh....President-elect Trump's admonishments put those weasels back in their place. Score another victory for The Donald!
+5
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hannah Nash (+2358) 11 months ago
Honestly, give credit where it's due: kudos to president-elect Trump on making the right call for independent ethics oversight.

I hope this step is the first in rational, ethical choices moving forward.
+9
Just heard to good news! Me, too, Hannah!
+2
supporter
Posted by Jeri Dalbec (+2029) 11 months ago
It seems that he was only critical of the timing...not the ISSUE?
+2
founder
supporter
Posted by Tucker Bolton (+2842) 11 months ago
Should the orange man survive his presidency, will the presidential library be filled with tweets?
+5
founder
supporter
Posted by Earl Bennett (+371) 11 months ago
Reply to Tucker Bolton (#370085)
Prob at least his top 140, or multiple thereof.
+2
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+8850) 11 months ago
The new GOP administration has proved its contempt for ethics and intelligence. Welcome to the new USSR. The United Subject States of Russia.
+2
Posted by AFAB (-29) 11 months ago
Reply to Amorette Allison (#370165)
Amorette Allison wrote:
The new GOP administration has proved its contempt for ethics and intelligence. Welcome to the new USSR. The United Subject States of Russia.

Amorette
I think you should strongly consider moving to another country. You already said you were ashamed to live here, and with comments like this I will say I am ashamed that you do live here. Life's a bitch but at least we didn't elect one. Lmao
+2
founder
Posted by David Schott (+11291) 11 months ago
Reply to AFAB (#370169)
AFAB wrote:
Life's a bitch but at least we didn't elect one. Lmao

We didn't? He sure whines like a little bitch at the slightest hint of criticism.
+4
Reply to David Schott (#370170)
David Schott wrote:
AFAB wrote:
Life's a bitch but at least we didn't elect one. Lmao

We didn't? He sure whines like a little bitch at the slightest hint of criticism.

I bet if all you whine-bags got together they would give you a hell of a deal on plane tickets to another country.
+1
Posted by tom regan (+333) 11 months ago
AFAB, you seem to be confusing disgust with the little whiner special snowflake tweeter in chief, his cabinet of unqualified billionaires, and his alt-right neo Nazi white supremacist chief strategist with hate for our country. The opposite is true.

Those of us who disagree with president elect Comrade Trumputin will not be leaving this country. Much like the Tea Party Patriots and the far right who disagreed with everything President Obama did and stands for, we will stay and fight for what we believe. America is truly great, and has been for a long time.
+6
Reply to tom regan (#370188)
tom regan wrote:
AFAB, you seem to be confusing disgust with the little whiner special snowflake tweeter in chief, his cabinet of unqualified billionaires, and his alt-right neo Nazi white supremacist chief strategist with hate for our country. The opposite is true.

Those of us who disagree with president elect Comrade Trumputin will not be leaving this country. Much like the Tea Party Patriots and the far right who disagreed with everything President Obama did and stands for, we will stay and fight for what we believe. America is truly great, and has been for a long time.

Well we were stuck with uncle Barry for 8 years so it's only right that you guys have to suffer a bit. The only thing is that I bet you a Ben Franklin that we will be financially better off than we were with your Obama or your sore loser of a candidate. Happy Whining for the next 4 years.
+1
founder
Reply to AFAB (#370191)
I thought we already went through the "Are you better off today than you were 8 years ago?" thing and only one person admitted to being worse off and it was due to their own fault.

"AFAB", tell us more about your life's failures over the past 8 years that have put you in such dire straits.
+2
Reply to David Schott (#370192)
David Schott wrote:
I thought we already went through the "Are you better off today than you were 8 years ago?" thing and only one person admitted to being worse off and it was due to their own fault.

"AFAB", tell us more about your life's failures over the past 8 years that have put you in such dire straits.

David
If I wanted you to know my life story I'd be on Facebook.
+1
founder
Reply to AFAB (#370194)
Sucks to be you, "AFAB".
+1
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+7624) 11 months ago
I hope AFAB isn't either a truck driver or a coal miner, because it would make me sad to think that my tax dollars will be funding his unemployment checks.
Reply to Bridgier (#370200)
Bridgier wrote:
I hope AFAB isn't either a truck driver or a coal miner, because it would make me sad to think that my tax dollars will be funding his unemployment checks.

Bridgier
You can rest assured that I am not on unemployment. I have never been or will ever be standing in line with my hand out. That is the problem with people these days. Why go work when uncle Barry will take care of me and even give me a cell phone.
I have never been out of work in my life.
+2
Posted by nativemc (+297) 11 months ago
AFAB, I know this is a minor point but I think you should check all your facts before posting. The information I am posting comes from the Drudge report. Please feel free to do the research on it.

"There is one problem with the Obama Phone: It doesn’t exist.

Since 2009, there has been an urban myth that Obama created a program to provide free phones to low-income Americans at taxpayer expense. There is, in fact, a government program that will provide low-income people with a free or low cost cell phone. It was started in 2008 under George W. Bush.

The idea of providing low-income individuals with subsidized phone service was originated in the Reagan administration following the break-up of AT&T; in 1984. (It was expanded and formalized by the Telecommunications Act of 1996.) The program is paid for by telecommunications companies through an independent non-profit, not through tax revenue."
+4
founder
Reply to nativemc (#370204)
Rest assured, "nativemc", that isn't the only thing "AFAB" is misinformed about.
+1
I know David but that part about the free phones just really bothers me. It is just the falsehoods that are posted so blatant and people just post things they hear and don't bother to do any research. That tired old phrase "people are saying".
+3
founder
Reply to nativemc (#370206)
I know what you mean, "nativemc". "AFAB", perhaps you could back your "Obamaphone" claim with some facts or be man enough to admit that you were wrong.
+3
Reply to nativemc (#370206)
nativemc wrote:
I know David but that part about the free phones just really bothers me. It is just the falsehoods that are posted so blatant and people just post things they hear and don't bother to do any research. That tired old phrase "people are saying".

Native
That is the beauty of media. If you have nothing better to do than search the internet all day to find all of that crap you are able to find whatever you want for either side of an argument. I do not have any documents to back up the phone but I was told by a welfare recipient that he got a free phone. Maybe he did maybe he didn't. I am too proud to take handouts so I just keep working.
+1
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+8546) 11 months ago
Reply to AFAB (#370202)
Here, let me fix that for you ...

AFAB wrote:
You can rest assured that I am not on unemployment. I have never been or will ever be standing in line with my hand out. That is the problem with people these days. Why go work when uncle Barry will take care of me and even give me a cell phone. I have never been out of work in my life.

The rest of that, well... okay, if you say so.

After all, you are only anonymously posting using a fake moniker. But, hey.
+2
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+8546) 11 months ago
Reply to AFAB (#370202)
AFAB wrote:
If you have nothing better to do than search the internet all day to find all of that crap you are able to find whatever you want for either side of an argument.

Also, if you had just typed "obama phone" into Google or Bing, it would have immediately brought up a list of links to places like this:

factcheck.org wrote:
Q: Has the Obama administration started a program to use "taxpayer money" to give free cell phones to welfare recipients?

A: No. Low-income households have been eligible for discounted telephone service for more than a decade. But the program is funded by telecom companies, not by taxes, and the president has nothing to do with it.

http://www.factcheck.org/...ama-phone/

Really not that hard.
+2
Thank You webmaster. As for me sitting on the computer all day researching, I noticed AFAB has the time to post all day.
+1