Hunting season
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+12184) one year ago
Seems a little slow here, so I thought I would start a thread for the hunters. How was your hunting season?

The warm weather in western Montana was not very conducive to elk hunting. I only went out a couple of times. I know some hunters who are still at it, having the new shoulder season permits. I didn't get one of those.

I did have some luck on the drawings this year, drawing two 700 district antelope tags, and a ewe bighorn sheep tag in the Missouri Breaks. All three were filled, and my freezer is full. Here is a pic of the sheep:

The sheep meat is very tasty. I made Swedish stew out of a chunk of round a week or so ago. and it came out awesome. As it is a good time of year for making stew, here is a recipe for kalops, Swedish stew, that you can make with any chunk of venison, or beef, if you aren't a hunter.

http://www.food.com/recip...tew-425646
+4
supporter
Posted by cubby (+2335) one year ago
Man I'm kind of jealous seeing you drew a ewe tag, how many years of putting in did it take you? As for my hunting season, went very well, one mule deer doe, one whitetail doe and a very nice 5x4 whitetail buck. Couldn't really ask for more then that.
+1
supporter
Ewe tags aren't terribly hard to draw. I have drawn three over the last 20 years or so, after wasting my youth applying for ram permits. First one I ever got, though.
+1
supporter
Posted by ike eichler (+1217) one year ago
Although due to vision problems have not hunted for a number of years, But for close to 30 years faithfully put in for a sheep, goat and moose tag with no success.
supporter
Posted by cubby (+2335) one year ago
I might have to change my thoughts on the ram also and go for a ewe, I'm not getting any younger here.
supporter
It took me 22 years before I drew a cow moose permit, which I filled in 2007. Another delicious animal.

I am hoping to draw one more cow moose tag before I become too old to hunt.

I have been applying for goat tags for over 30 years as well, without ever drawing one. I hope, with the preference point system, to draw one soon before I become too old to go goat hunting. I can see the end on the horizon.