Miles City Postcard
founder
Posted by David Schott (+12820) 2 years ago
I was looking at this old postcard that is for sale on eBay. It appears that there is a "HELLO" sign on top of the building on the lower right (S. 5th and Main St., I believe). It would be interesting to know the story behind that sign.

Bird's-eye view downtown Miles City circa. 1912
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+8861) 2 years ago
The postmark on the card is 1912; maybe they were saying “hello” to aviators?
Posted by Bob Netherton III (+2141) 2 years ago
Maybe the Shriners were coming to town and the sign wan't finished.
founder
Perhaps it was from a sign on the front of the building that had been removed and set aside on the rooftop.
supporter
Posted by Big Dave (+433) 2 years ago
Appears to just be leaning against the wall, but it appears that some lumber or something is stacked in front of it. Could be that it had been elevated or was to be elevated in order to be seen from street level.
supporter
Posted by Don Birkholz (+996) 2 years ago
Where was it taken from? When was the water plant built?
supporter
Posted by Amorette F. Allison (+1916) 2 years ago
This was taken from the water tower and I suspect the sign was put up there for the occasion.
supporter
Posted by ike eichler (+1217) 2 years ago
Chances are the sign was part of the 1912 event and if post was stored on top the building, if pre was waiting to be placed on main street. Doubt the location and the water tower had any connection unless you subscribe to the UFO theory.
Posted by Tim Wagoner (+724) 2 years ago
Sent a picture of this to a friend and he commented on how the Milligan Hotel building one block down and on the left has 2 stories not three. This was taken before the 3rd story was built.
+1
founder
Along those lines, it appears there is a pyramid-shaped roof on the corner of the building where the 600 Cafe is today. Is that the 600 Cafe building? Was that corner roof removed at some point in time? Or is that a different building entirely?

If you read the note on the postcard, Mary Bohling is writing to her aunt and uncle in Lamont, Iowa. She notes that Miles City has had a lot of rain and everything looks nice and green. She also notes that the wet weather brings lots of mosquitoes.
+2
supporter
The 600 building used to have a cool corner entrance topped with a little tower that was topped with a pyramid.
+2
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Dave Roberts (+1158) 2 years ago
I already have one of these postcards and had barely given this one a glance until Dave Schott noted what was written on it.

A 100+ year old postcard sent by my then 15 year old great grandmother. What are the odds?

http://milescity.com/hist...aphies/231 Mary Bohling was born December 10, 1896 and died March 13, 1990 aged 93

I owe you a beer Dave
+2
founder
Wow, that's cool, Dave.

I lived two doors down from a Henry Bohling when I was growing up. He was an old guy by that time. I never knew Mrs. Bohling -- I am unsure of what her first name was. Henry had a daughter named Mary Bohling (her married name is Doggett) so I wondered if maybe the writer of this postcard was Henry's wife.

Do you know a Mary Doggett by chance?
+1
founder
supporter
sponsor
I don't, but likely have relatives who do.

The Bohling name and date of mailing were enough to make me curious, the recipient being an uncle named Kelsh (John Bohling's 2nd wife, mother to Mary & Margaret, was Ellen Jane Kelsh) made it worth bidding.

Thomas Kelsh 1863-1939, Lamont IA. brother to Ellen Jane Kelsh Bohling 1853-1904. Yeah, Ancestry.com is all over this one. It may not be up to historian standards (Hal?) but I'll buy this one.

[Edited by Dave Roberts (4/25/2016 5:31:08 AM)]

[Edited by Dave Roberts (4/25/2016 6:06:10 AM)]
Posted by Oddjob (+153) 2 years ago
Reply to David Schott (#366206)
I'm not 100% sure of this but I believe that Henry Bohling, at some point, worked for the CM&StP. Seems to me that I read that somewhere but I don't recall what he did. He was retired by the time I first met him. I do know that he was the Secretary of BPOE 537 for many years.
founder
I think he was also very involved with the Eastern Montana Fair.
founder
supporter
sponsor
I'll have to ask Jane and MaryLynn
+1
Posted by Jane Shores (+15) 2 years ago
Henry was my great uncle. He was very civic minded. Mary Bohling Zuelke was his sister and my grandmother. Henry had daughter Mary Bohling Doggett and lives around White Sulphur Springs. There is also a son John who lives in Texas.
+4
founder
Posted by Ken Ziebarth (+319) 2 years ago
What a great old photograph!
From the shadow on the Olive porch it seems to be early afternoon. But there is no 'trafic' and only a few wanderers.
What was 'The Old Stand(?)' on the closest corner.
The Eagles building is there, but not the Auditorium next to it that became the Park Theater and not the Elks or the Post Office.
There is a sign on the wall with the awnings at the back of the 8th and Main building, any ideas?
Might the structures in the very upper left be the Milwaukee roundhouse and coaling tower? Thats about the right place.
The hospital is in the top center.
Ken Z
+1
founder
"At the Old Stand. The TRIBUNE observes in the Miles Cily papers that Capt. John W. Smith and James Coleman are again associated in business at The Old Stand in Miles City. All old time Bismarckers will remember Capt. John Smith, the jovial, big-hearted pioneer, and the Palace Sample Room he used to run in Miles City long before the railroad reached that point. Mr. Smith has been to the Coeur d'Alene mines, has been to the National Park and a score of other places, but has finally come back to his first love — Miles City — where, it is stated, he has opened up in that degree of elegance characteristic of Mr. Smith, and his amiable companion Mr. Coleman. The Old Stand, corner of Main and Park streets, in its palmy days turned thous­ands of the shining dollars into the pockets of Mr. Smith, and now that he is back again the TBIBUNE and all other Dakota friends will lose no opportunity in influencing history to repeat itself.

newspapers.com: Bismarck Weekly Tribune - October 24, 1884
Posted by Oddjob (+153) 2 years ago
I think what they are trying to say here is that its a bar.
+1
founder
Reply to Oddjob (#366255)
Ha ha, isn't that hilarious. Talk about tap dancing around the subject. Maybe it was a brothel.

Amorette has commented about the Victorian-era style of writing. Googling that I found this person's description to be pretty appropriate:

astrum wrote:
Here it goes: To me, it seems that modern writing is more direct, matter-of-fact, and concise. Whereas, writing from the 1800s/early 1900s seems more circuitous, sentimental, and introspective; it also tends to be wordier though not necessarily in a bad way. I've also noticed greater variety in sentence structure and diction in writing from that time period. While there are exceptions, this seems like the general trend.

Source.
+1
founder
supporter
sponsor
There are a few more letters than "HELLO" stored on the 600's roof.

[Edited by Dave Roberts (4/28/2016 10:26:41 PM)]
+1
Posted by Tim Wagoner (+724) 2 years ago
Only one problem with your post, that building is not the 600 Cafe Building. It is across from the Olive Hotel. It Belongs to Miles Milligan. It used to contain the flower shop, computer store, computer repair and currently has Whipps Welawiben Custom Framing & Collectable Art.
+1
supporter
There were two bars at opposite ends of the "downtown" section of Main Street owned by the same person, "The Old Stand" and "The New Stand."
+2
founder
It's cool that in Dave's blown-up version of the photo you can read "NONPAREIL RYE" on the sign below "THE OLD STAND".
founder
supporter
sponsor
Tim is right, I'm off by a block, although nonpareil rye likely could've made for interesting morning coffee breaks
founder
Posted by David Schott (+12820) 16 days ago
Gary Coffrin sent me this picture of an old Miles City postcard (mailed in 1910) that shows that "HELLO" sign mounted on the front of the building at 508 Main St. He thought possibly it was part of the decorations for the 1909 Montana State Elks Convention.

500 Block Main St., Miles City
permalink   ·  vote tally
+4
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+9203) 15 days ago
Reply to David Schott (#377333)
So that's where the HELLO letters came from. Cool find! 😎
permalink   ·  vote tally
+1