Ice fishing
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+11908) 2 years ago
Don't know if there are any ice fishermen here, but this has to be the worst season I ever had. I even drove to Fort Peck, and fished with some of Miles City 's finest, and did terrible. I went the whole month of February without catching a fish. The worst was last Saturday, when I drove to Georgetown lake, and did not even get a bite! Prior to that, I have never been skunked at Georgetown.

I am so ready to start river fishing.
+1
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+8763) 2 years ago
You have ice there? wOw! There’s been none here to speak of so far this winter, certainly not enough to fish from on ice. Beluga and seals have been coming up the Naknek River all winter feeding on smelt (and from what I’ve observed quite a few Rainbow and Dolly Varden). I somehow suspect that the shortage of river and sea ice is attributable to the much denied, but noticeable climate change thing.
+1
supporter
Don't derail this thread with climate change talk, Hal. You obviously haven't been talking to the many knowledgeable scientists of Nevada.

There's ice around Helena, but it is too rotten to get out on. Hence my 100 mile drive to Georgetown. The ice was a solid 2 feet there. It usually doesn't break up until June.
+2
supporter
Posted by spacekace (+892) 2 years ago
They cancelled the Hell Creek ice fishing tournament this year due to lack of ice....and last weekend, I'll bet there were at least 20 boats out on the river in Miles City.
+1
Posted by Bob Netherton III (+2105) 2 years ago
My son and I fished a reservoir near St. Ignatious early in early Feb. (or late Jan). I immediately caught and released a very nice Westslope Cutthroat but that was it. There was only about 5 inches of ice. Things slowed there so we went to Ninepipes. The ice was a little rotten but we tried there(it was very shallow). A snowstorm moved in so we quit. That is the extent of my ice fishing this year.

I did hear there were large fat perch being caught at Lake Mary Ronan but didn't make it over there.

I haven't seen anyone on the East Bay on Flathead Lake.

Our weather in the Flathead area has been unsettled but too warm for safe ice fishing. Other on-ice events have been cancelled here.
+1
supporter
My best day was at Holter Lake. The perch bite there was awesome. Lots of 11 inch perch. After a great day in January, I headed back February 13, and the ice was too rotten to fish.
+1
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+8763) 2 years ago
I don’t fish much for trout* – maybe take one in the spring when we’re hungry for fresh fish and the salmon have yet to come in. But the Naknek River is good for big Rainbows. The Dolly Varden (Arctic char) can get some size on them as well. There are grayling too, but it’s rare to see one in the monster-sized range.

Naknek Bows
https://www.google.com/#q...0&tbm=isch

*Actually I don’t fish much for anything with a pole anymore. Putting the subsistence net out a couple times gives us our year’s supply of salmon. Once in awhile we do walk down to the neighborhood creek on a summer evening and see what is biting. Depending on the season the creek is good for bows and dollies, King and Silver salmon, and the occasional grayling.

I put together a fish spear two winters back, I had planned on giving a try at the creek last summer, but I busted up some ribs and that limited my activities a bit. Maybe this summer I’ll try spearing a Silver or two and see how it goes.

On another note, ducks and geese should be here in a month or so and the spring migratory hunt will kick off. I’m looking forward to putting the skiff in the water and rustling up a goose dinner or two.
+1