Maud Mitchell Tarr- Rodeo Star
Posted by carol carroll (+3) 4 years ago
Would like to prove and connect Maud Tarr Rodeo Star. born 1887 Pumpkin Creek, Custer, MT. Was she the daughter of Geo. & Eva Maude Fields Mitchell? There dau. Maud Estela Mitchell married John Tarr 1902 Miles City, they divorced shortly after 1910. 1916 Maud Tarr won the Women's All Around Championship at Cheyenne WY. Is this the same women?
Carol
Posted by vys (+3) 4 years ago
yes, your information on Maude Mitchell Tarr is correct. I am her niece. I will share information on her with you if you will get back to me.
Posted by Renee Brown (+14) 3 years ago
I am her grand daughter. Does anyone have an information regarding her being American Indian. My whole life I have known her to be full blooded Northern Cheyenne Indian, however, birth certificates and census information is not supporting this.

Renee
Posted by Cindy Stalcup (+584) 3 years ago
I did a fast look for Maud.
She was not Northern Cheyenne.
Her father George Mitchell was killed 1909 in an "ongoing range dispute".
Maud had at least two husbands.
1 John M Tarr, daughter Estella Dene Tarr b1903
2 Thomas Franklin Henderson, rodeo performer/contractor of Tom Henderson Wild West Show.
Census in 1920 they lived on farm by Craig, CO-Moffatt County.
They divorced by 1930 census (different wife) he was back in Texas.
Posted by vys (+3) 3 years ago
I wish you all would get your stories straight. Maud had NO Indian blood in her and yes she was married 3 times. First to John Tarr which she divorced, then to Larry O'Keefe, they were married 26 yrs. when he died, then she was married Charlie Divine for two yrs. when he died.
21 October 1921 Deming Headlight (newspaper) Deming, New Mexico.
"Lady Champ will ride bad horses at rodeo.
Maud Tarr, one of the best known riders in the United States, accompanied by her husband Tom Henderson....Tarr home was originally in Montana..."
She was also listed as Tom Henderson's wife on his WWI draft registration. Sept 1918 in Moffat Co, CO.

Maud Tarr married in 1924 Sept 23 to John Lawrence O'Keefe in Cape Girardeau, Missouri by Justice of Peace.
This was before he was in jail in 1930.
He was New York resident, she of Elko, Nevada. He was printer/ pressman and sometimes they owned restaurants.
They had son Charles Matthew O'Keefe, born 7March 1929.
They lived in Miles City in 1935 and 1940 and returned to Joplin, Missouri by 1947.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6152) 3 years ago
Sounds like Maud got around.
Well...she was only 15 at her first marriage.
From what I have been able to find in newspapers and books, she was quite the bronc stomper. She is not in the Cowgirl Hall of Fame at Fort Worth, but I think she should be.
Posted by vys (+3) 3 years ago
AND again, get your stories straight before you post stuff that is NOT true.
I posted what I believe to be supported by documentation. What is not straight?
supporter
Unfortunately, family lore is often fraught with inaccuracies. Stories get changed as they are passed down from one generation to the next and by the time someone bothers to look them up a very different picture might emerge. People also lie about themselves or omit important information that affects their personal histories.

There's no point getting upset about it. That's the way people are and it makes genealogical research all that much more interesting.
Posted by carol carroll (+3) 3 years ago
Maud Tarr was one of the best women rodeo riders. No need to say, she sure got around, and married at age 15. That was common back in her youth. Women are still working toward equality, they sure weren't equal in 1900, a mans world. Would someone say of a man, he sure got around, and what age he married. I don't think so. Women weren't even allowed to compete in rodeo until around 1905.
supporter
You're right. I wouldn't say "She got around" if Maud was a man. I'd say, "He got around."
founder
Posted by David Schott (+12366) 3 years ago
"Women weren't even allowed to compete in rodeo until around 1905."

Sounds like Maud was perfectly suited for breaking through this barrier.
founder
supporter
Posted by Tom Masa (+1647) 3 years ago
Round round, get around
I get around yeah
I'm gettin' bugged driving up and down the same old strip
I gotta find a new place where the kids are hip

Beach Boys 1964
I am Maud's grand daughter. She lived with us when I was a child and died when I was nine years old. She was a very stoic women who did not talk about her past. My father did not talk about his childhood very much either. He passed away 25 years ago. I am trying to find out more about my grand mother. I grew up believing she was full-blooded Cheyenne. I am is the process of doing a DNA to resolve this issue. I know she married my grand father (who I never knew) in 1924. She was still on the rodeo circuit until at least 1925.

Until just a few weeks ago, I did not know that Tarr was a married name and not a maiden name. Judging her about "getting around" is really ridiculous. She has been dead for over forty years. I would just like to know more about her. If anyone has any information I would appreciate you sharing it with me. However, If you want to pass judgments on her then move on.

We have lots of old photos of her rodeo days, a few medals, and a poster from her days in the Wild West Shows. Unfortunately, her house burned down and most of her memorabilia from her rodeo days were lost.

If you have something constructive to say. Please add.

Thank you.
Marriage, performed by Presbyterian minister Edward McCullough Calvin
Witnesses Mathilda Peterson & Mrs. Edward Calvin.

5July1902 Custer Co, Miles City
John M Tarr age 27 son of James Tarr & Mary McAllister, not previously married, white, born Queen City, Missouri
to
Estella Maud Mitchell age 15 daug of Geo L Mitchell & Eva Fields, white, born Selway, Custer Co, MT.
---

In 1900 the Mitchell family lived in Custer County, Selway. George 48 & Eva 28 had 6 children-Maud, James R, George R, Mary L, Birdie O, Ella M. By 1910 Harry, Abe, twins George & Earl added.

George was killed 8 Sept 1909.
Eva remarried single man George W Ott 1923. Their children-Josephine & Vera.

---Fields- Maud's mother
Eva Fields was daughter of James A Fields & Ella. She was born in Pennsylvania, her father born in Scotland, mother in Germany. According to 1880 Fort Dodge, Iowa census, where she resided with RR engineer husband James A Fields. They had 4 children- James, Eva, Maud, & Thaddeus.
By 1885 Eva was married to James H Mason lived in Minneapolis. She died 31 March 1926 Seattle at age 78.
James Fields also remarried in 1920 lived in Putnam, Florida at age 77.

James A Fields was civil war veteran, union, 2nd Iowa infantry Co A, private.
----

Mitchells-
Maud's father was George L Mitchell born in 1860 Iowa. He was son of Abraham Mitchell born Maryland abt 1822 & Elizabeth born Ohio abt 1833. They were in 1870 Polk Co, Iowa census where Abraham was a farmer.
---
Cindy thank you for the info. My father and grandmother lived in Montana for a period of time when my father was a child. He use to tell stories of how he could not go into the stores because he was Indian. He would go to the back door and they would send out what he needed. He also could not attend the public schools so he went to a Catholic school.

Since my grandmother does not have a birth certificate, but rather an affidavit of birth, that is worded very vaguely, and signed by her mother Eva, I wonder if Maud somehow came to live with the Mitchells at a young age, but was not really their natural daughter? I just can't believe everything I was told was not true.
Renee,
That is a mystery.
If you would like me to take a look, tell me the details. Be certain not to post info about anyone living Or if you wish send me a private email, just click on my name.
Posted by guy mitchell (+12) 3 years ago
OK PEOPLE - Maud/Maude was the first born to George and Eva Mitchell on Big Pumpkin Creek, Montana. She was married at least 3 times, Tarr, Okeefe and Devine but my research shows a 4th marriage to Tom Henderson (her second). Tom and Prairie Rose Henderson were presumed to be married so they could travel together without being looked down on ( the early teens)but in actuality were never married. It was an arrangement to rodeo. Maud and Tom were married and traveled together with Prarie Rose Henderson, something that Maude distained.
Maud was my great aunt.
My Grandfather was Earl Mitchell, one of a set of twins that were born after his father, George Mitchell was killed during the 1909 Pumpkin Creek fall roundup. Grandad's twin George, died in 1926 at the age of 16. Grandad and George worked all summer long slipping hay to earn enough money to go south to warmer weather. George became sick near Lodgegrass, MT and was sent back to Miles City on the train, George died in Miles City. I still have the saddle, an Al Furstnow, Miles City. MT saddle.
There are a lot of direct George and Eva descendants in eastern Montana and Northern Wyoming and we would be more than happy to answer questions.

thank you,

Guy Mitchell
Posted by Lorin Dixson (+593) 3 years ago
Guy Mitchell I am wondering if your grandfather Earl Mitchell is the same Earl Mitchell I knew. I believe his wife's name was Emma. He knew my grandfather Sol Nichols from the old days in Custer and Prairie county . When I knew him he was in White Sulpher Springs,running the association summer range.I know that he or Em had a had a daughter that lived in Arizona that they visited when they sent the association stock back in the fall. I have a few stories to share if he is the same Earl Mitchell

[This message has been edited by Lorin Dixson (9/27/2014)]
Posted by guy mitchell (+12) 3 years ago
Yes, same Earl Mitchell. Grandma was Imogene, know as Emmy. Grandma and Grandpa had 4 boys, no girls and enjoyed going south to Arizona and Florida during the winters. They sure spoke highly of the summers they spent at White Sulfur at the cow camp. Grandpa lived until 1989 (79 years) and Grandma,2012,(99 years).
Posted by Lorin Dixson (+593) 3 years ago
Once I went out to Earl and Em's camp, and Earl was showing me the horses. He said see that black horse? I said he is a good looking horse. Earl said yes he is one fine horse, but I'm afraid I am going to have to send him back,I'm not getting along with him too well. I said what's the problem Earl? he replied well here a couple days ago I saddled him and stepped on and he pitched his head and went to bucking I did alright for awhile then he bucked me off and the problem is I was doing my very best, and I don't think he was.
Earl and Em were in town that fall for the labor day rodeo a bunch of us were gathered around shootin the breeze, and Earl said I'll sure be glad when they come take those yearlings home, someone asked why is that Earl? Earl said there getting so big, Em is having a hard time tailin em down. The guy said you mean you make Em tail steers? Earl said yes she can't rope so she has to tail em down when I rope them. I am pretty sure that was that was Earl and Em's last summer coming to WSS. I really enjoyed spending time with them when I could. Oh one other thing I would like to mention Earl professed to hate dogs, if I remember the story right he said a sheepherder had killed his dad. Well I had a little dog that went every where with me. when I first got to know them he wouldn't let the dog near him or in their trailer when I was up at camp. One afternoon I went off on foot somewhere I can't remember why I was afoot but my little dog got hot or bored and went back to camp,when I returned Earl was asleep in a lawn chair and the dog was in his lap. From that day on Earl allowed that dog in the trailer and seemed to like him just fine. I think I heard Em moved to Roundup after Earl died.