Eastern Montana Fair time...
founder
Posted by David Schott (+12613) 5 years ago
The Eastern Montana Fair starts this Thursday and runs through Sunday. Who's looking forward to it? What's your favorite part? Exhibits? Carnival? Rodeo? Tractor pull? Demolition derby? Live entertainment? The food? Seeing all the people?

When I was a kid I enjoyed the carnival the most and I think the hardest part was that it marked the end of summer and usually school started the very next day.

Miles City Chamber: Eastern Montana Fair
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+12016) 5 years ago
My favorite part of the fair is the Tea Party booth with all their comic props.

Although, since it is not an election year, the Tea Party may not have their table set up at the fair this year.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+8118) 5 years ago
One of my favorite Jerry Partridge memories is in regards to the fair, which happens to coincide with the end of football two-a-days...

"Fair's starting and Leonard's got a pig or two in it this year. Matt though, Matt's got himself a prize-winning Camel"

You probably had to be there.
Posted by HUBBZ (+74) 5 years ago
Haha thats great!! Leonard Roddell and Matt Oyen I presume. That man had a bunch of good ones.
supporter
Posted by cubby (+2320) 5 years ago
Tractor pull is going to be fun and always love the food!!
Really wish they would have had the ATV pull this year but maybe next year..
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+8118) 5 years ago
A different Matt actually - although I DO have a Matt Oyen story, since you asked so nicely..

So, Miles City is playing Whitefish in the playoffs @ whitefish in 94. It's second and goal in the second overtime, and Matt forgets the count and jumps offsides. I'm standing next to Dr. Rauh just beyond the endzone, and when the ref throws the flag, he turns to me and says "Goddamnit, if his dad would let him get laid once in a while, he wouldn't be so wound up".
supporter
Posted by cubby (+2320) 5 years ago
LOL, that's funny Bridger
supporter
Posted by Sandy Kiltie-Losing (+257) 5 years ago
DEAP will again be sponsoring the DEAP FREEZE, Frozen Tee-Shirt Race for kids 12 years old and under!
The DEAP FREEZE will be held at 3:00 on Friday, August 23rd, on the Midway Stage.
The first 25 kids age 12 and under that get lined up for the event will get free "DEAP Freeze" tee shirt, and Prizes will be awarded to the Winners of each race!
The kids are given tee shirts that are frozen into blocks and the first one to free the shirt and put it on wins. Kids race against similar age children and each age group is awarded a prize. The kids last year had a blast and the crowd had a great time cheering them on! You would be amazed at how creative the kids get trying to thaw out the tee shirts!
We look forward to seeing you at the Fair!
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+13743) 5 years ago
Overheard... "A fair without the Zipper or Ferris wheel is like a baseball game without hot dogs".
Posted by Tim Wagoner (+723) 5 years ago
I won't be going to that baseball game.
Posted by Forsyth Mike (+380) 5 years ago
Are you saying the carnival didn't have the Zipper or the Ferris wheel?

The same carnival comes to Forsyth and both of those rides were here.

Although I have to admit, I miss the old fashioned "Big Eli" type of wheel where you're sitting on a bench seat, rather than the hanging gondola type wheels that are popular today. On the newer wheels you're surrounded by too much machinery.
supporter
Posted by Amorette F. Allison (+1917) 5 years ago
The Ferris Wheel needed repairs. I'd rather not have a Ferris Wheel than one that needed 'certified welds." Don't know what happened to the Zipper but it may also have needed some maintenance. I am firm believer in regular maintenance of carnival rides.
Wasn't the end of the world, but then, I don't ride rides.
Posted by Forsyth Mike (+380) 5 years ago
The wheel must have gotten broken in Great Falls or Billings!

I remember one year they brought the Zipper here but never set it up, saying it needed some kind of parts.

Many of those machines are 20+ years old so occasional breakdowns are to be expected. They're so expensive (each ride = middle six figures) that you can't just go replace them every few years.

If you want to see some really classic rides, check out the Baker fair sometime. All the rides there were at least 50 - 60 years old!