Did it rain at your house last night?
supporter
Posted by MRH (+1303) 5 years ago
It sure did at ours. I've not checked the rain gauge, but it appears we got more than the 0.65" recorded at the airport. We got 0.88" in the gauge.

[This message has been edited by MRH (6/14/2013)]
supporter
Posted by Big Dave (+434) 5 years ago
About .9 at our house. It was coming sideways, so I don't think my rain gauge caught all it should have.
supporter
Posted by Amorette F. Allison (+1917) 5 years ago
Official is .99 but as Dave said, it was blowing sideways. I was just glad we caught the edge of the storm. I hate to think what it was like directly under it!
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Frank Hardy (+1417) 5 years ago
I don't know, I wasn't there.

I just want to see it show that I'm in MT today.

FH

Oh no! It doesn't show it!

[This message has been edited by Frank Hardy (6/14/2013)]
supporter
Official is .99

Amorette, what do you consider official?
Posted by BigDryBug (+64) 5 years ago
We had .85 in our gauge this AM. .90 tuesday night. Dave
supporter
Posted by Amorette F. Allison (+1917) 5 years ago
I go the NOAA site and try to add up the hourly amounts or sometimes the daily amounts, depending on what NOAA posts. The site listed .40 yesterday in one place and .59 today (early this morning, I assume) in another. There is no easy place to find precipitation totals, especially since the storms tend to involve the date change at midnight. What I really hate is the page where you can track the weather going into the future but not going backwards. How can you have precipitation totals that haven't happened yet but no totals for yesterday?
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+13769) 5 years ago
Not to hijack a thread, But do I understand that Frank Hardy is in Miles City?
I seem to recall him wanting to have a beer with me. Today might be his lucky day as I am in the neighborhood. Message me and we can work out the details of how to get together. I should be available about 5pm. I'll buy the first round.
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Frank Hardy (+1417) 5 years ago
Richard,

I was there! I really was! My daughter had on her Hawaiian House t-shirt and we made the rounds in Miles yesterday. Alas, this AM she woke up sick and I decided I better get her home. We're at the ND MN state line heading back to Minneapolis. But, you owe me a beer and I will collect!

Cheers!
FH
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+13769) 5 years ago
We should see if we can make it rain near beer.

We now return to your regularly scheduled program...
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Dave Roberts (+1167) 5 years ago
NOAA says 1.10"

You have to jump through hoops. Start here:

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/...data-qclcd

Click the "Quality Controlled Local Climatological Data (QCLCD)" link.

Select "Montana" and click "continue"

Scroll down to "***MILES CITY:..." select it and click "continue"

This list is monthly totals starting with the current month, so select "2013 06..." and click "continue"

Just leave the next selection on "E" and "Daily..HTML" and click "submit"

Column 16 is precipitation total.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+9346) 5 years ago
They don't like to make it easy, do they?
supporter
I was curious, because I just use the summary page:

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/m...m=72&raw=0

There I look at the 72 hour total listed on the graph. I do it frequently enough that I just use the difference between events to determine the precipitation from any event. We also have a rain gauge at home.

Based upon that method, the airport received 1.1" on 12 June, but only 0.65" on 14 June.

[This message has been edited by MRH (6/15/2013)]
Posted by Mathew Schmitz (+284) 5 years ago
I look outside and say "Damn - It musta rained out here. Looks like a bunch too"
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+8909) 5 years ago
With the Bering Sea just 15 miles to the west of our house and the North Pacific 90 miles to the east, the weather can get pretty tricky here. To keep tabs on what's going on, we set up a state of the art weather monitoring station set up in our backyard.