SPONSORED 
You are here > Top: Forums: History & Genealogy: BUFFALO HIDE MARKETS IN MILES CITY MONTANA
History & Genealogy Forum Topic
You are viewing the BUFFALO HIDE MARKETS IN MILES CITY MONTANA topic in the History & Genealogy forum.
 BUFFALO HIDE MARKETS IN MILES CITY MONTANA, Ellen Compton, 2/5/2013 5:10:31 PM
 RE: BUFFALO HIDE MARKETS IN MILES CITY MONTANA, Elizabeth Emilsson, 2/6/2013 7:07:59 AM
 RE: BUFFALO HIDE MARKETS IN MILES CITY MONTANA, philip ewalt, 2/6/2013 12:11:36 PM
 RE: BUFFALO HIDE MARKETS IN MILES CITY MONTANADonator Jeri Dalbec, 2/6/2013 1:47:01 PM
 RE: BUFFALO HIDE MARKETS IN MILES CITY MONTANA, Elizabeth Emilsson, 2/7/2013 2:11:29 PM
 Subject: BUFFALO HIDE MARKETS IN MILES CITY MONTANA
Author: Ellen Compton  Posted: Tue Feb 5 5:10:31 PM MST 2013 From: - OR
I just received an article about Albert Gotleib Schmalsle, brother to William Frederick chmalsle. The article said that Albert killed 600 buffalo and took their hides to a Miles City, Montana hide market. I would like to know if there are records of those hide markets. If so, is Albert and/or Williams names on those records? Thanks for your help.
Ellen K. Compton
 Subject: RE: BUFFALO HIDE MARKETS IN MILES CITY MONTANA
Author: Elizabeth Emilsson  Posted: Wed Feb 6 7:07:59 AM MST 2013 From: - CO
Check with the library for a book called the Frontier Years by Felton and Brown. This book features pictures by the early photographer, A. B. Hoffman. and has a lot of early Miles City History.
Author: philip ewalt  Posted: Wed Feb 6 12:11:36 PM MST 2013 From: - MT
Did you mean L.A. Huffman? I've never heard of A.B. Hoffman.
Author: Donator Jeri Dalbec  Posted: Wed Feb 6 1:47:01 PM MST 2013 From: - MT
I see that there is An Encyclopedia of Montana Buffalo Hunters & Skinners..Vol. 1 and more. There is a Vol. I at bookfinder.com

http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?a...20%2526%2520skinners

It is in the forty dollar range...but, that is the cheapest. There is a Montana Magazine with info at www.highbeam.com where you can scan the article about it for free. I wonder if a library might have a full set?? That can be checked at interlibrary loan through your library. Just some suggestions. Good luck.
Author: Elizabeth Emilsson  Posted: Thu Feb 7 2:11:29 PM MST 2013 From: - CO
Sorry that was L. A. Hoffman, (not A.B. Guthri, who was as a writer not a photogapher.)
Copyright © 1998-2014 MilesCity.com. All Rights Reserved. Do not copy without permission.
MilesCity.com :: Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Rules of Conduct :: Contact Info