BUFFALO HIDE MARKETS IN MILES CITY MONTANA
Posted by Ellen Compton one year ago
I just received an article about Albert Gotleib Schmalsle, brother to William Frederick chmalsle. The article said that Albert killed 600 buffalo and took their hides to a Miles City, Montana hide market. I would like to know if there are records of those hide markets. If so, is Albert and/or Williams names on those records? Thanks for your help.
Ellen K. Compton
Posted by Elizabeth Emilsson one year ago
Check with the library for a book called the Frontier Years by Felton and Brown. This book features pictures by the early photographer, A. B. Hoffman. and has a lot of early Miles City History.
Posted by philip ewalt one year ago
Did you mean L.A. Huffman? I've never heard of A.B. Hoffman.
supporter
Posted by Jeri Dalbec one year ago
I see that there is An Encyclopedia of Montana Buffalo Hunters & Skinners..Vol. 1 and more. There is a Vol. I at bookfinder.com

http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?a...20%2526%2520skinners

It is in the forty dollar range...but, that is the cheapest. There is a Montana Magazine with info at www.highbeam.com where you can scan the article about it for free. I wonder if a library might have a full set?? That can be checked at interlibrary loan through your library. Just some suggestions. Good luck.
Posted by Elizabeth Emilsson one year ago
Sorry that was L. A. Hoffman, (not A.B. Guthri, who was as a writer not a photogapher.)