You are here > Top: Forums: General Discussion: no nurses
General Discussion Forum Topic
You are viewing the no nurses topic in the General Discussion forum.
 no nurses, keritertle, 8/16/2012 6:18:33 PM
 RE: no nurses, MeiMei, 8/16/2012 6:26:12 PM
 RE: no nursesDonator Amorette Allison, 8/16/2012 7:48:34 PM
 RE: no nurses, MeiMei, 8/16/2012 8:09:37 PM
 RE: no nurses, Kacey, 8/16/2012 9:13:53 PM
 RE: no nurses, Jeff Denton, 8/17/2012 7:54:07 AM
 RE: no nursesDonator Kelly, 8/17/2012 8:26:48 AM
 RE: no nursesDonator Jeri Dalbec, 8/17/2012 9:02:44 AM
 RE: no nursesDonator Amorette Allison, 8/17/2012 9:46:18 AM
 RE: no nurses, Wendy Wilson, 8/17/2012 2:34:55 PM
 RE: no nurses, Thomas Bankston, 8/17/2012 2:35:47 PM
 RE: no nursesDonator Amorette Allison, 8/17/2012 8:30:31 PM
 RE: no nurses, jody menyhart, 8/18/2012 10:39:15 AM
 RE: no nurses, hat_3275, 8/18/2012 12:21:34 PM
 RE: no nurses, Cindy Stalcup, 8/18/2012 1:08:44 PM
 RE: no nurses, Thomas Bankston, 8/18/2012 1:15:06 PM
 RE: no nurses, Thomas Bankston, 8/18/2012 1:19:57 PM
 RE: no nurses, Thomas Bankston, 8/18/2012 1:30:32 PM
 RE: no nurses, Mrs. M, 8/18/2012 3:18:21 PM
 RE: no nurses, ALVIN SWINDLER, 8/18/2012 6:55:57 PM
 RE: no nursesDonator Jeri Dalbec, 8/18/2012 8:40:22 PM
 RE: no nurses, Melita, 8/19/2012 12:30:05 AM
 RE: no nurses, Thomas Bankston, 8/19/2012 12:47:23 PM
 Subject: no nurses
Author: keritertle  Posted: Thu Aug 16 6:18:33 PM MDT 2012 From: - CA
Why doesn't some miles city schools have NO NURSES on site????
 Subject: RE: no nurses
Author: MeiMei  Posted: Thu Aug 16 6:26:12 PM MDT 2012 From: - MT
There were school nurses in some recent years but funding is difficult to keep.

Custer County Health Department is superb support to the schools and community. They are very accessible and helpful to schools.
Author: Donator Amorette Allison  Posted: Thu Aug 16 7:48:34 PM MDT 2012 From: - MT
We didn't have nurses in my childhood, which, mind you, was several centuries ago. I was unaware of there ever being a 'school nurse' on site, mostly because of cost and partly because the county health nurses were 'on call.' I do remember nurses around when we had mass vaccinations. Ugh.
Author: MeiMei  Posted: Thu Aug 16 8:09:37 PM MDT 2012 From: - MT
I know there was a time within the past 10-15 years there was a nurse at WMS on a limited basis- maybe 1 day every week or two weeks. Not sure but I think there was a grant written for this opportunity.
Do not know the details.
Author: Kacey  Posted: Thu Aug 16 9:13:53 PM MDT 2012 From: - MT
Money
Author: Jeff Denton  Posted: Fri Aug 17 7:54:07 AM MDT 2012 From: - MT
There weren't never no nurses in any skools I went to neither. And that was a lot more recently than Ammorette.
Author: Donator Kelly  Posted: Fri Aug 17 8:26:48 AM MDT 2012 From: - MT
Why doesn't some miles city schools have NO NURSES on site????

It seems to me, they need English teachers more than nurses.
Author: Donator Jeri Dalbec  Posted: Fri Aug 17 9:02:44 AM MDT 2012 From: - MT
We did have a school nurse in Cut Bank in the 40's and even a small room with a cot where you could go and lie down if you didn't feel well. A place they stuck you while waiting for your Mom to come and pick you up and get you home and heal you very fast....so, she could haul you back to school!!! Usually didn't take long:-)

The room was also used for the Home Ec teacher to teach you how to make a bed with hospital corners.
Author: Donator Amorette Allison  Posted: Fri Aug 17 9:46:18 AM MDT 2012 From: - MT
+1 Kelly
Author: Wendy Wilson  Posted: Fri Aug 17 2:34:55 PM MDT 2012 From: - UT
I can't remember any school nurses during my incarceration in the 60's and 70's. My aunt was a school nurse for decades in New England but they had money for 15 kids per class as well.
Author: Thomas Bankston  Posted: Fri Aug 17 2:35:47 PM MDT 2012 From: - NE
A nurse on site is part of the public school landscape in communities that rely heavily on the governmnet's funding for survival. Police walking the halls for the student's and teacher's safety is essential as well. Also don't forget the alternative school's funding to locate students with behavioral and learning problems to assist them in their obtaining social security benefits for life.
Author: Donator Amorette Allison  Posted: Fri Aug 17 8:30:31 PM MDT 2012 From: - MT
Wow. That is one weird statement, Banksie. Last I looked, our public schools relied on government funding. Yup. Here is my property tax statement.

As for the disabled being on SSI, would you rather they beg in the streets or die?
Author: jody menyhart  Posted: Sat Aug 18 10:39:15 AM MDT 2012 From: - MT
In 2001 the Custer County Health Dept. received Prevention dollars with support from the Juvenile Justice Department. The decision was made to use funds for a school nurse program. Washington Middle School found a storeroom that was converted into an office and a nurse was at the school 5 half days per week. In 2002 the nurse was awarded "Montana School Nurse of the Year". With the success of that program, more grant funding was received and by 2003 9 grants had been awarded to sustain and grow the school nurse presence in all schools. Three grade schools had 1 1/2 days each, WMS, 5 half days and CCDHS received 2 afternoons. It was a very successful with a focus on education and prevention. The difficulty was sustaining the funding with other Health Department obligations.
Author: hat_3275  Posted: Sat Aug 18 12:21:34 PM MDT 2012 From: - MT
"A nurse on site is part of the public school landscape in communities that rely heavily on the governmnet's funding for survival. Police walking the halls for the student's and teacher's safety is essential as well. Also don't forget the alternative school's funding to locate students with behavioral and learning problems to assist them in their obtaining social security benefits for life."

You know what?!!! You do NOT have a clue!!!!! I have a learning disability and was in some resource room classes when I was in school. I went on to College (funded by my parents who by the way pay taxes) I have never recieved ANY SSI/SSDI. I have work full-time and have always paid my own way!! Educate yourself before you make misguided comments like that!!!
Author: Cindy Stalcup  Posted: Sat Aug 18 1:08:44 PM MDT 2012 From:
I like that some districts pay the tuition costs of school employees who take EMT and even CPR classes. That way the chances are better that a emergency trained person is available before the ambulance arrives at the school or is present when away on field trips, sports trips, etc.
Author: Thomas Bankston  Posted: Sat Aug 18 1:15:06 PM MDT 2012 From:
Public schools are government. Not saying that. THis is a different part of the country. You do not have a clue. Disabled is one thing. Placing kids on SSI to increase funding for the school is another. What do I do for Social Security when it is time for me to receive it when mine was given to someone who never paid in a dime?
Author: Thomas Bankston  Posted: Sat Aug 18 1:19:57 PM MDT 2012 From:
There are so many ways out there for people to scam the government that most working people do not know about. I know it sounds crazy but I have been seeing it with my own eyes in my own home state for 50 years. The average person has no idea.
Author: Thomas Bankston  Posted: Sat Aug 18 1:30:32 PM MDT 2012 From:
Also I meant communities relying heavily on federal government for survival. I come from one this way. No industry, no jobs and government handouts around every corner. No reason to get out and kill something and drag it home when a handout is available. Like it or not people will settle for whatever they can get in most cases. On the school issue, people call em "crazy checks" and parents encourage their kids to misbehave and act "crazy" to bring more money into the household. Like I said it is a different part of the country and if you haven't seen the cancer spreading over a lifetime like I have it is almost impossible to comprehend.
Author: Mrs. M  Posted: Sat Aug 18 3:18:21 PM MDT 2012 From: - MT
The nurse was worth her weight on gold for the middle school. Those children have lots of issues dealing with adolescent that she handled so expertly and the amount of kids going home ill declined precipitiously! Wonderful for all the school, but especially the junior high.
Author: ALVIN SWINDLER  Posted: Sat Aug 18 6:55:57 PM MDT 2012 From: - CA
What does talking about SSI have to do with talking about the original question as to why there are no school nurses in miles city....every other town or city in Montana has someone on staff that has som e sort of medical training...but not here...I for one wish they would. I have three children that have medical problems. Such as my youngest who has a severe. Peanut allergy is very asmatic and is slightly autistic...I for one would feel alot better about the schools here if they had someone trained on staff....I know that there are many great teachers here who's job is to educate our young. But the schools here also need to provide for there personal well-being as well while they are in there care. Also I know that my family is not the only one that has kids that require additional care. Yes...I know most of you will say because of the funding is why there is no nurse....so far since I was a child in school they have done away with most music programs...some extra classes and yes even the school nurse all in the name of funding. So please come up with an original excuse as to answer the original question.

[This message has been edited by ALVIN SWINDLER (8/18/2012)]
Author: Donator Jeri Dalbec  Posted: Sat Aug 18 8:40:22 PM MDT 2012 From: - MT
We have a little guy who is autistic and have found that his teachers are very skilled in recognizing when he is not feeling well. He also has a peanut allergy which they watch very closely. Our main thing, more than having a nurse available, is to have them contact us if they think he is not well. We can be there in four or five minutes. I always think that the people who live with a special needs person probably know more what to do than anyone.

I am only commenting in regard to our situation and am not sure what your expectations are of a School Nurse???? I sometimes feel that since things are so litigious, they may be limited in what they could do if they were present, other than to call us like the teacher does. Just sayin'!
Author: Melita  Posted: Sun Aug 19 12:30:05 AM MDT 2012 From: - MT
YES YES YES, Kelly! Enough said! It also makes me irritated when people post things for the world to read and either make spelling or obvious grammar mistakes! I'm sorry, it makes them look well, uneducated to say the least!? Anyway, as for school nurses, it is hard enough to find nurses to fill the positions at hospitals, much less being paid less for a job at the school. My mom and both sisters are nurses and I'm sure NONE of them would wish to work at a school, just saying smile
Author: Thomas Bankston  Posted: Sun Aug 19 12:47:23 PM MDT 2012 From: - NE
It is ashamed we are not all English teachers.But if you don't like non-spellers and lack of proper grammer, I'd suggest you stay away from public schools in my area! School nurses are great. My point, and I realize now that here as well as at home, there are those who get their so-called panties in a wad when one mentions public schools. At home one is labeled as "against the children" or "racist" for daring to critize public school funding, budgets, success and so on. Where I am coming from is watching them turn into businesses that are more conceerned in getting the next grant available than education. I have heard there are excellent schools here I have heard. I'm very proud that is the case. It is not the case everywhere and, as with so much else in life, if you haven't experienced the other side of the coin, you don't know what if looks like. Sorry I've upset some with my opinions but glad to stimulate the conversation. Remember...diversity is supposed to be good...
Copyright © 1998-2014 MilesCity.com. All Rights Reserved. Do not copy without permission.
MilesCity.com :: Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Rules of Conduct :: Contact Info