You are here > Top: Forums: Classified Ads: door lock problem
Classified Ads Forum Topic
You are viewing the door lock problem topic in the Classified Ads forum.
 door lock problem, Mrs. M, 7/5/2012 12:50:12 PM
 RE: door lock problemRestricted SD, 7/5/2012 5:46:23 PM
 RE: door lock problem, Mrs. M, 7/5/2012 7:22:13 PM
 RE: door lock problem, jah, 7/6/2012 9:47:04 PM
 RE: door lock problem, Its Me, 7/7/2012 7:12:17 AM
 RE: door lock problem, jah, 7/7/2012 7:50:19 PM
 RE: door lock problem, Mrs. M, 7/8/2012 3:33:27 PM
 Subject: door lock problem
Author: Mrs. M  Posted: Thu Jul 5 12:50:12 PM MDT (UTC-6) 2012 From: - MT
I put a new lock on back porch with the intention of having it keyed to match the house locks so carpenter threw the keys away. Now I find, I need the key to get the cylinder out to rekey, hmmm. Another new lock would cost less then a locksmith so that it what I did. However, it would be nice to save the lock for future use. It is a Schlage lock. Any ideas or talent out there? 234-5495
 Subject: RE: door lock problem
Author: Restricted SD  Posted: Thu Jul 5 5:46:23 PM MDT (UTC-6) 2012 From: - MT
Hire a different carpenter next time?
Author: Mrs. M  Posted: Thu Jul 5 7:22:13 PM MDT (UTC-6) 2012 From: - MT
Good one, but he is too good,and too good a friend! We all make mistakes, and I agreed. This was to keep me from mixing up keys...duh. Never to old to learn for sure!!
Author: jah  Posted: Fri Jul 6 9:47:04 PM MDT (UTC-6) 2012 From:
The local locksmith, Holmlund Lock and Key can help you.
Author: Its Me  Posted: Sat Jul 7 7:12:17 AM MDT (UTC-6) 2012 From: - MT
A more helpful response to your question would go something like this:

I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your locks. As you have stated, it does require an old key inorder to get the cylinder out for rekeying. Having a locksmith does often times cost more than new locks cost themselves. However, this might be your only option in order to be able to reuse your old locks.

If you google "rekey door locks", there are kits you can buy that will allow you to rekey a lock. You will have to buy the kit for the right lock and you will have to be able to turn the knob 90 degrees inorder for the cylinder to come out.

You can google "How to make a Bump Key". If you are able to get one created, then you are likely to be able to remove and rekey your locks.

The process isn't easy, but there are youtube videos on both subjects.

Good luck on the project if you decide to take it on. I do hope this does help you out.

[This message has been edited by Its Me (7/7/2012)]
Author: jah  Posted: Sat Jul 7 7:50:19 PM MDT (UTC-6) 2012 From:
by the time you buy these kits you could have had the locksmith fix it and you probably wont have to buy a new lock.
Author: Mrs. M  Posted: Sun Jul 8 3:33:27 PM MDT (UTC-6) 2012 From: - MT
You have inspired me! Sounds like fun to learn something new. Thanks!
Copyright © 1998-2014 MilesCity.com. All Rights Reserved. Do not copy without permission.
MilesCity.com :: Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Rules of Conduct :: Donate | Contact Info