You are here > Top: Forums: National/World News & Issues: The United States & Roman Empire
National/World News & Issues Forum Topic
You are viewing the The United States & Roman Empire topic in the National/World News & Issues forum.
 The United States & Roman Empire, Donator Kelly, 6/16/2012 8:15:43 PM
 RE: The United States & Roman EmpireDonator Jeri Dalbec, 6/16/2012 9:04:17 PM
 RE: The United States & Roman EmpireDonator Gunnar Emilsson, 6/16/2012 9:43:58 PM
 RE: The United States & Roman Empire, Bob Netherton II, 6/16/2012 11:34:11 PM
 RE: The United States & Roman Empire, howdy, 6/17/2012 8:17:34 AM
 RE: The United States & Roman Empire, Buck Showalter, 6/17/2012 8:20:13 AM
 RE: The United States & Roman Empire, Jeff Denton, 6/17/2012 10:48:06 AM
 RE: The United States & Roman EmpireDonator Richard Bonine, Jr., 6/17/2012 11:12:01 AM
 RE: The United States & Roman Empire, BDrew, 6/17/2012 1:32:48 PM
 RE: The United States & Roman Empire, Bob Netherton II, 6/18/2012 11:36:33 PM
 Subject: The United States & Roman Empire
Author: Donator Kelly  Posted: Sat Jun 16 8:15:43 PM MDT 2012 From: - MT
The following is a letter to the editor that is to be published tomorrow morning in The Billings Gazette. I thought I'd post it here to get the bashing started early...

Spanish poet and philosopher George Santayana said, "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." With that in mind, I can't help but think how The United States is becoming like the Roman Empire.

The money is flowing to the top. Like Ancient Rome, the power is becoming concentrated among rich businessmen. Rome didn't become an empire without slaves. How do we create a slave class in the United States? First we take away their right to form groups to protect their interests (break unions). We give them the "right to work" for less. Second, we break public education by underfunding it. Then, we move to privatize it, so that as private entities, we can teach what we want to teach, which may not be the truth (anti-science). When people are uneducated, it often leads to desperate life circumstances.

When people are desperate, what do they do? All too often, they turn to drugs. The failed American drug war ensures a steady supply of slave bodies for privately run prisons. Forty-five percent of the U.S. prison population is serving time for non-violent drug offenses, with the taxpayers footing the bill for all of it. As long as there is a demand, there will always be a supply. Many choose to join the military. This ensures a steady supply of bodies to the military industrial complex. Like Rome, we seem to be in a perpetual state of war.

Although some say they want small government and want the government out of our private lives, it must be big enough to control a woman's uterus. Like Rome, we are trying to have breeder slaves (CI-108).

The Roman Empire eventually crumbled. Contributing to this was the fact that they let their vast infrastructure, which made the empire glorious, fall to disrepair. Sound familiar? Please don't let The United States become like the Roman Empire. Vote accordingly.

Kelly
 Subject: RE: The United States & Roman Empire
Author: Donator Jeri Dalbec  Posted: Sat Jun 16 9:04:17 PM MDT 2012 From: - MT
Well said, Kelly. It is definitely good to know what you are doing when you go to the Polls this year. Be very careful to NOT vote against yourself or possibly your friends and family.
Author: Donator Gunnar Emilsson  Posted: Sat Jun 16 9:43:58 PM MDT 2012 From: - MT
After the Roman Republic transferred into the Roman Empire, the empire still had a 300 year run afterwards.

I figure by voting Republican, we will transform the United States from the republic to empire form of government in the next few years (although oligarchy would be a more appropriate term).

Which suggest the U.S. exists on to 2312 or thereabouts.

I guess I am okay with that.
Author: Bob Netherton II  Posted: Sat Jun 16 11:34:11 PM MDT 2012 From: - MT
As long as you're the one holding the whip.
Author: howdy  Posted: Sun Jun 17 8:17:34 AM MDT 2012 From: - MT
Perhaps we should think about our heirs and their offspring before we vote and how they might feel??
Author: Buck Showalter  Posted: Sun Jun 17 8:20:13 AM MDT 2012 From: - MT
That's a terrible idea.
Author: Jeff Denton  Posted: Sun Jun 17 10:48:06 AM MDT 2012 From: - MT
We are trying a new method of having some positive influence on the future of the world. It's called parenting. We work very hard at it. It's our first priority and it takes a lot of time and effort. Thank you Montessori School for your help, we could not have done it without your loving, caring, character-building program.
Author: Donator Richard Bonine, Jr.  Posted: Sun Jun 17 11:12:01 AM MDT 2012 From: - WY
It is my belief that we do not inherit the earth from our ancestors... rather, we borrow it from our children.
Author: BDrew  Posted: Sun Jun 17 1:32:48 PM MDT 2012 From: - MT
"Which suggest the U.S. exists on to 2312 or thereabouts."

That is based off of the assumption that Rome existed for 236 years previously (236 years is what America's lifespan has been thus far.) The Roman Republic lasted around 500 years until around Julius or Octavian...whichever one you want to call the first 'emperor.'

If we are the new Rome, then we are the new Rome on speed. We have about 140 years left if we go by comparing our quick rise and probable fall.

2152 is my wager. stick tongue out
Author: Bob Netherton II  Posted: Mon Jun 18 11:36:33 PM MDT 2012 From: - MT
The Mayan Calendar thing trumps this entire discussion,in my opinion.
Copyright © 1998-2014 MilesCity.com. All Rights Reserved. Do not copy without permission.
MilesCity.com :: Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Rules of Conduct :: Donate | Contact Info