SPONSORED 
You are here > Top: Forums: Local News, Politics & Issues: Summons for Federal Jury in Billings
Local News, Politics & Issues Forum Topic
You are viewing the Summons for Federal Jury in Billings topic in the Local News, Politics & Issues forum.
 Summons for Federal Jury in Billings, Donator Don Birkholz, 5/23/2012 9:39:09 PM
 RE: Summons for Federal Jury in BillingsDonator Kelly, 5/23/2012 9:41:29 PM
 RE: Summons for Federal Jury in Billings, hotshot92, 5/23/2012 9:43:17 PM
 RE: Summons for Federal Jury in BillingsDonator Jeri Dalbec, 5/23/2012 9:49:16 PM
 RE: Summons for Federal Jury in BillingsDonator Richard Bonine, Jr., 5/23/2012 9:54:42 PM
 RE: Summons for Federal Jury in Billings, Levi Forman, 5/24/2012 7:25:56 AM
 RE: Summons for Federal Jury in BillingsDonator Bridgier, 5/24/2012 9:24:46 AM
 RE: Summons for Federal Jury in Billings, Melita, 5/24/2012 9:50:36 AM
 RE: Summons for Federal Jury in Billings, Cindy Stalcup, 5/24/2012 10:00:49 AM
 RE: Summons for Federal Jury in BillingsDonator David Schott, 5/24/2012 10:07:13 AM
 RE: Summons for Federal Jury in BillingsDonator Frank Hardy, 5/24/2012 10:20:58 AM
 RE: Summons for Federal Jury in BillingsDonator Amorette Allison, 5/24/2012 12:55:27 PM
 RE: Summons for Federal Jury in Billings, Levi Forman, 5/24/2012 2:25:22 PM
 RE: Summons for Federal Jury in Billings, Mrs. M, 5/24/2012 3:06:56 PM
 RE: Summons for Federal Jury in BillingsDonator David Schott, 5/24/2012 3:26:48 PM
 RE: Summons for Federal Jury in Billings, Wendy Wilson, 5/24/2012 5:14:25 PM
 RE: Summons for Federal Jury in BillingsDonator David Schott, 5/24/2012 5:33:54 PM
 RE: Summons for Federal Jury in Billings, Levi Forman, 5/24/2012 5:46:24 PM
 RE: Summons for Federal Jury in Billings, lobograce, 5/27/2012 9:42:12 PM
 RE: Summons for Federal Jury in Billings, DAVE HERRING, 7/28/2012 10:56:48 AM
 RE: Summons for Federal Jury in BillingsDonator Richard Bonine, Jr., 7/28/2012 11:35:32 AM
 RE: Summons for Federal Jury in Billings, howdy, 7/28/2012 12:45:57 PM
 RE: Summons for Federal Jury in BillingsDonator Tom Masa, 7/28/2012 3:22:28 PM
 RE: Summons for Federal Jury in Billings, Wendy Wilson, 7/28/2012 10:21:17 PM
 Subject: Summons for Federal Jury in Billings
Author: Donator Don Birkholz  Posted: Wed May 23 9:39:09 PM MDT 2012 From: - WY
Yesterday I received a summons for possible federal jury service during the month of June in Billings. The letter indicated they would not tell me that I was to to appear for jury duty, but that is was my responsibility to call a phone number every friday after 5 pm to find out if I am needed for jury duty. Is the federal government getting so lazy they cannot inform people of jury duty and shifts the responsibility onto the individual citizen? I cannot remember what day it is or if I have taken my pills (this morning I forgot to brush my teeth). I imagine there are others in the same boat. I think it is the responsibility of the judicial system to inform those who need to appear for jury duty. Whose brilliant idea was this?
 Subject: RE: Summons for Federal Jury in Billings
Author: Donator Kelly  Posted: Wed May 23 9:41:29 PM MDT 2012 From: - MT
Whose brilliant idea was this?

I imagine it is the people who want to cut government to zero. It takes manpower to make those calls.
Author: hotshot92  Posted: Wed May 23 9:43:17 PM MDT 2012 From: - MT
Is it a scam maybe?
Author: Donator Jeri Dalbec  Posted: Wed May 23 9:49:16 PM MDT 2012 From: - MT
Don...you have a way with words. Just having a "chuckle". Joe has received a summons before and it seems it has always been this way as far as we know. I don't think he ever really had to go as it seems things were settled in advance:-)
Author: Donator Richard Bonine, Jr.  Posted: Wed May 23 9:54:42 PM MDT 2012 From: - WY
Don Birkholz wrote:
Yesterday I received a summons for possible federal jury service during the month of June in Billings. The letter indicated they would not tell me that I was to to appear for jury duty, but that is was my responsibility to call a phone number every friday after 5 pm to find out if I am needed for jury duty. Is the federal government getting so lazy they cannot inform people of jury duty and shifts the responsibility onto the individual citizen? I cannot remember what day it is or if I have taken my pills (this morning I forgot to brush my teeth). I imagine there are others in the same boat. I think it is the responsibility of the judicial system to inform those who need to appear for jury duty. Whose brilliant idea was this?

Really?? roll eyes (sarcastic)

I think you should thank them for the convenience of a phone number that you can call to determine whether you are needed or not. They could make you drive to Billings every Friday to find out. Count your blessings.
Author: Levi Forman  Posted: Thu May 24 7:25:56 AM MDT 2012 From:
I'd have to say that this is a bit too much outrage over having to make a phone call once a week. I do appreciate Kelly being able to inject his overarching world view into such a mundane day to day situation though.
Author: Donator Bridgier  Posted: Thu May 24 9:24:46 AM MDT 2012 From: - ID
Because everything's disconnected, and something silly like funding for government services surely wouldn't have an impact on government services that WE use.

roll eyes (sarcastic)
Author: Melita  Posted: Thu May 24 9:50:36 AM MDT 2012 From: - MT
I received one of those same summons a few years back. It was a very big deal not knowing until the night before wether I had to take off work, find money for gas, etc. Like they don't know wether there will be a trial or not until 5 p.m. the night before???
Author: Cindy Stalcup  Posted: Thu May 24 10:00:49 AM MDT 2012 From: - CO
I've been on the Federal jury pool list a couple of times. I prefer the notification method of calling in on Friday to check the recorded status announcement. The last opportunity to settle out of court is 5PM Friday to avoid Monday trial so that is earliest they know if there will be a trial. I appreciated having opportunity to cancel my hotel and plan the next week on Friday. It is a nice courtesy on their part and I think very efficient use of their resources. I have not had to serve. Thankfully, in all cases they came to an agreement without a trial.
Author: Donator David Schott  Posted: Thu May 24 10:07:13 AM MDT 2012 From: - WA
I believe it goes like this. You're a member of the jury "pool" for the entire month. If they need to seat a jury for a trial they randomly select some number of potential jurors from the pool. Those jurors are then screened in the courtroom setting until a group of jurors is selected for the trial.

When you call the night before it's how you find out if you're one of the lucky ones who has been randomly selected for a jury screening.

The alternative (which is used by King County Superior Court here in Washington state) is that the members of the jury pool show up at the court house and sit around in the jury pool room. You may or may not be called into a court for screening. You just sit there and wait around. If you get selected for screening but get rejected during the screening process you have to return to the jury pool room and be available for another trial.

Luckily you're only in the pool for 2 days after which you're free to go. If you do get seated on a jury you must stay for the duration of the trial.

If you ask me, calling the night before beats sitting around in a jury pool room all day.
Author: Donator Frank Hardy  Posted: Thu May 24 10:20:58 AM MDT 2012 From: - MN
Depends on whether or not you have to bring your own cue stick.

FH
Author: Donator Amorette Allison  Posted: Thu May 24 12:55:27 PM MDT 2012 From: - MT
This is what happens when you get called for federal jury duty. I thought it was a great system. I called on Friday night and found out I was free and did a little happy dance. Do you want them to know in advance if a case is going to court? That's tricky. I was once on a seated jury when we were sent home because they settled minutes before.

Just be glad you weren't called to Great Falls. Distance to travel is not considered a valid excuse.
Author: Levi Forman  Posted: Thu May 24 2:25:22 PM MDT 2012 From: - CA
Because everything's disconnected, and something silly like funding for government services surely wouldn't have an impact on government services that WE use.l

I'm sure if it wasn't for the dern republicans, our jury summons would be delivered by singing garbage men. It just makes good sense.
Author: Mrs. M  Posted: Thu May 24 3:06:56 PM MDT 2012 From: - MT
I think it used to be you were notified of a specific trial and then had to call in to see if it was vacated. Then you didn't worry until you were notified again. You were on the list for a year. Now, you are on the active list for one month, no specific trial assigned, and you have to call in each Friday, or anytime during the weekend, to determine if there is a trial and if you have been selected for the pool. I just got off duty and breathed a sigh of relief. I seldom remembered to call on Friday as I too in retired and don't pay attention to days. However, I was on with a local RN and I wasn't called but she was. She forgot to check in so is awaiting whatever they will do about her absence. It's difficult for working people who are juggling many things to remember to do that four or five times a month. I prefered the old way. (I don't know if I will be called again for another month until my year is up or not.) One nice thing is you hear who from your vicinity also has to appear so you could car pool.
Author: Donator David Schott  Posted: Thu May 24 3:26:48 PM MDT 2012 From: - WA
How many people do you know who have been found in contempt of court for failing to respond to a jury summons?
Author: Wendy Wilson  Posted: Thu May 24 5:14:25 PM MDT 2012 From: - MT
None. Although I think once or twice Judge Jewell sent officers to the absentee's home.
Author: Donator David Schott  Posted: Thu May 24 5:33:54 PM MDT 2012 From: - WA
Author: Levi Forman  Posted: Thu May 24 5:46:24 PM MDT 2012 From:
I don't know why people work so hard to avoid jury duty. Personally I found it very interesting and the big trial I was a jury member is one of the more memorable events of my life. It's a hassle but it's really one of the more important duties we have as citizens and most people don't have to do it more than once every 5-10 years, especially in Montana.
Author: lobograce  Posted: Sun May 27 9:42:12 PM MDT 2012 From: - MT
I had this for the month of May....write yourself a note... most of the weeks they did not have anything going on...
Author: DAVE HERRING  Posted: Sat Jul 28 10:56:48 AM MDT 2012 From: - MT
BOTTOM LINE, IT IS YOUR CONSTITUTIONAL DUTY AS A CITIZEN TO SERVE WHEN CALLED. THE WAY THE SYSTEM IS SET UP IS NO DIFFERENT THAN THE REST OF THE ENTIRE NATION. PEOPLE NEED TO BE RESPONSIBLE ENOUGH TO REMEMBER TO CALL ON FRIDAY.
Author: Donator Richard Bonine, Jr.  Posted: Sat Jul 28 11:35:32 AM MDT 2012 From: - WY
I'm guessing that Dave's middle name is "hardof". Thus, the cap-lock. smile
Author: howdy  Posted: Sat Jul 28 12:45:57 PM MDT 2012 From: - MT
Yeah nothing like being yelled at by someone LOL
Author: Donator Tom Masa  Posted: Sat Jul 28 3:22:28 PM MDT 2012 From: - ND
huh? What'd you say?

[This message has been edited by Tom Masa (7/28/2012)]
Author: Wendy Wilson  Posted: Sat Jul 28 10:21:17 PM MDT 2012 From: - UT
I suspect Dave's just a very passionate guy.
Copyright © 1998-2014 MilesCity.com. All Rights Reserved. Do not copy without permission.
MilesCity.com :: Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Rules of Conduct :: Contact Info