Where is Oniell, MT?
Posted by jcaine 3 years ago
Recently came across an old galvenized milk can that had a brass plate with the name Jack Mackenzie on it and Oniell, MT? I searched for Oniell, MT on Mapquest and nothing came up. Just curious if anybody knows a little history on the piece. It also has a blue and white tag on it that is from Purity Dariy Co-Glendive, MT.

Thanks
supporter
Posted by Don Birkholz 3 years ago
Would have to be a small town that no longer exists. Or simply a railroad stopping point along the route. There used to be a Mirn ((Murn?) Montana 5 miles east of Miles City
Posted by Monica LN 3 years ago
A town called Ulmer MT shows up on my GPS Just before the first hill out of town (EB). And there is obviously nothing there.... Curious.
Posted by Cindy Stalcup 3 years ago
Could it be Oneill? It was in Custer county South and East of Miles City.
supporter
Posted by Don Birkholz 3 years ago
Word I have is that Mackenzie was from Powderville.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. 3 years ago
My guess is that it was northwest of Fallon, MT on the north side of the Yellowstone. I looked at stagecoach maps and railroad maps and it isn't on any of them.
Posted by Cindy Stalcup 3 years ago
Perhaps someone at Dufners Dairy in Glendive knows local dairy history. The Purity Dairy became Dufners Dairy.
supporter
Posted by ike eichler 3 years ago
The O'Neill PO was started in 1925 on the Frank O'Neill ranch at the mouth of Trail Creek east side of the Powder River. It would have been on what is now known as the Smith ranch. He married Margaret McKenzie and she was the Postmistress. Believe the Hoovers later lived in the buildings.
Posted by Patrick Petroff 3 years ago
Ulmer is a railroad siding about 6 miles west of Miles City on the old Northern Pacific line owned by BNSF Railway now.
Posted by Monica LN 3 years ago
rereading my post I meant to describe in the west bound direction but thanks for letting me know! Interesting...
supporter
Posted by Bill Zook 3 years ago
Just an update for you, Ike. That ranch is now referred to as the Trail Creek Ranch and is owned by a Desseret group.
Posted by jcaine 3 years ago
You all have been a world of help. I thank you much.