Picture needed - Old Elevator above underpass
Posted by Jeanne Dahlin Swick (+12) 12 years ago
I am researching a branch of my family who homesteaded near Miles City and also lived in the town at various times during the 1910-1930 era.

The family name is LYTLE.

David Levi Lytle had a grain elevator that stood directly next to the top of the underpass (south side) and across from CCHS......this was probably in the 1920's I'm guessing. His son, David Leroy Lytle was born in Miles City, as well as Edith Lytle, his daughter.

My great-grandmother was Julia M. Lytle, the mother of David Levi, and her daughter Lucy Lytle Sorenson also lived in town and out on the homestead near Hathaway at various times. Also, a John O. Lytle and Frank Lytle, sons of Julia, also lived in the area. This was mostly the 1920-1930's.....Julia died in Miles City in 1929.

I can remember the remains of the grain elevator structure being torn down (it was full of pigeons in its decline, I remember).....perhaps in the late 50's?? I believe the sign painted on the elevator said "D.L. LYTLE". I very much want to find a photograph of that elevator. I'd like to know if a photo exists yet.

I'd be grateful for any help.

Jeanne Dahlin Swick ('63)
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+13712) 12 years ago
Actully, I believe it was torn down in the late 70's. I think it was called the Bagley elevator?
founder
Posted by Ken Ziebarth (+316) 12 years ago
I have pictures of the elevator(s) next to the underpass. I'll dig them up and scan them later this weekend.
Ken Z
supporter
Posted by Dan Mowry (+1433) 12 years ago
I remember being in High School computer programming class when some other silos/elevators came down - 1984. Were these part of the same stretch of buildings?

[This message has been edited by Dan Mowry (edited 7/8/2006).]
Thanks all!! Ken, I'll await the pictures. I foggily remember that either you or your brother always had a camera......am I right?

My memory of the elevator basically ended with graduation in 1963.......I am ALMOST sure it was all down by then. Bagley is a name I do not recognize. I can remember the words "D. L. Lytle" being faded on the building when I was young and being told it had belonged to our family.

I have a lot of pictures I would like to get on this site eventually, as well as a bio of both my mother's and father's sides of our family. I am very interested in history--especially western--especially eastern Montana. I've written up a lot of stuff as it relates to my family and myself--all for my grandkids one day I hope. Am now working on an extensive genealogy project and getting back quite a ways. Lots of fun, but highly addictive stuff.

Jeanne Dahlin Swick
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+8615) 12 years ago
I looked at the Sanborn Fire Insurance Company maps and didn't find any elevators, mills, etc operating under the name Lytle. And that, of course, means nothing except that they don't appear on the maps

The only Sanborn's I could find that fell into the time period you're interested in are dated:
--August 1, 1928
--August 1928 - July 1948

In 1928, the elevator at the location you're interested in is referred to as the "Snell Brothers grain elevator." On the 1928-1948 map it goes under the name of the "International Elevator Company."

As an aside, The 1928-1948 map shows the Bagley Elevator on the west side of 7th, just north of the Milwaukee tracks. The 1928 Sanborn merely shows an unnamed grain & coal warehouse at that location.

See below for a description of what I found. I can't post urls for these maps as they're a password protected / pay for use thing. If you'd like the 1928, and 1928-1948 maps showing the elevators that were at the location you're interested in, contact me privately and I'll send you pdf files of those particular maps.

There's some information about Sanborn maps here for those who aren't familiar with them. Some public and college libraries have mico-form copies of these maps:
http://sanborn.umi.com/

South from Main & the Underpass to 10th Street on the west side of the NP tracks:

Snell Brothers grain elevator

Northern Pacific Railroad Wool & Seed warehouse
(Sanborn, August 1, 1928, sheet 22)
- - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - -

South from 10th to 8th on the west side of the NP tracks:

Midland Coal & Lumber Company's yard
Montana-Dakota Power Company complex
(Sanborn, August 1, 1928, sheet 7)
- - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - -

North of Main & the Underpass on the west side of the NP tracks:
Yellowstone Lumber Company's yard.
(Sanborn, August 1, 1928, sheet 18)
- - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - -

Southeast corner of 7th & Phillips - north of the Milwaukee tracks:

Miles City Milling & Elevator Company
Salyards & Alair grain elevator

There's an unnamed grain & coal warehouse complex directly across 7th (westside) from Salyards & Alair
(Miles City Aug. 1928, Sheet 9)

Immediately south of the tracks on the west side of 7th is the woolhouse - it's referred to as the "Whols. Gro. W.Ho.

Immediately south of the tracks on the east side of 7th is the Milwaukee freight depot.
(Sanborn, August 1, 1928, sheet 9)
- - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - -

1928-1948
The next set of Sanborn maps is dated August 1928 - July 1948, apparently they used 1928 as a base map and updated it as needed for the next two decades. So it's entirely possible that the names of business could changed during that time and those changes would not be shown on the maps.

South from Main & the Underpass to 10th Street on the west side of the NP tracks:

International Elevator Company
Snell Brothers seed mill - apparently located in the NP warehouse complex.
Northern Pacific Railroad Wool & Seed warehouse
(Sanborn, 1928-1948, sheet 22)
- - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - -

South from 11th to 10th on the west side of the NP tracks:

Northern Pacific Railroad freight shed
Larkin Seed Company
Midland Coal & Lumber Company's yard
Montana-Dakota Power Company complex
(Sanborn, 1928-1948, sheet 7)
- - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - -

Southeast corner of 7th & Phillips - north of the Milwaukee tracks:

Occidental Elevator Company
Montana Flour Mills Company

Bagley Elevator Company is across 7th from Montana Mills at the intersection of 7th and the Milwaukee tracks.
Miles City Oil company is immediately to the north of Bagley's at the intersection of River & 7th.

(Sanborn, 1928-1948, sheet 7)
- - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - -
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+13712) 12 years ago
Now that you mention it, Bagley was just north of the tracks on 7th. My bad.
The Lytle elevator pre-dated 1928.......it would have been in place about 1910. When the homesteader's dried up.......I'm sure the elevator did as well. The words "D. L. Lytle" were printed in faded letters as I recall. Thank you very much for taking the time to look up all the fire maps!! I will remember your offer--I had no idea those were even available.

We had a firebug in our family as well......a great uncle, who (along with his brothers) owned-operated a good number of elevators in WI, ND, MN and MT, went to prison in Minnesota for setting fire to one of them that was floundering in the Depression Era......spent a bit of time in MN's Stillwater Prison for that little escapade. Desperate men do desperate things, I guess.

Jeanne
founder
supporter
sponsor
Here's what shows up at the intersection of Main Street and the Northern Pacific tracks in July of 1916. (Sanborn, Miles City July 1916, Sheet 19)

It shows the Snell Brothers Elevator at that location. The notation reads:
SNELL BROS. GRAIN ELEV'R
BUILT IN 1908. CAPY. 30,000 BU.
CRIB CONSTN. POWER: ELEC.
1 CLEANER. 1 FEED GRINDER. 15 HP MO.

And again, none this means that your family didn't own (or lease or otherwise operate) the elevator - Sanborn Maps are typically pretty darned accurate. However, they weren't updated on annual basis - and because they were prepared for insurance / fire insurance purposes, they sometimes only show ownership of a given property not the lessee.

Anyway, I took a "screen shot" of that portion of the 1916 Sanborn - it's the image named Snell_1916 in the folder called Maps - here:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/n3and3r97/

for some reason I can't this to turn into an active link, guess you'll have to copy and paste it into your browser
- - - - - - - - -

Richard, I looked at the 1948 Sanborn and didn't see a construction date for Bagley's elevator. But it wasn't there in the earlier 1928 map, so it had to be put up between then and 1948. There's screenshot of in the folder mentioned above - the file is Bagley_1948.

Do you know / remember when it was demolished - or did it burn down?

I remember an elevator fire on 7th & the Milwaukee tracks when I was a kid - maybe the very early 60s. But I was thinking it was where the Occidental Elevator is located in the Bagley_1948 screenshot. Does anyone else remember this and know the date - or is my (tired old) mind playing tricks on me again.
You're a bundle of info. Hal! I guess it would have been possible that they leased an already-built elevator......All very interesting....I had never considered that before. The more family research I do, the more informative it becomes.

Thanks for all of the good info/sites you list.........Until this past week, I haven't looked at this MC site for some time. Nice to see a lot of familiar names as well.

Jeanne ('63)
founder
supporter
sponsor
>>You're a bundle of info. Hal!

sometimes it's a curse . . .
Posted by Gary Coffrin (+81) 3 months ago
I’m certain that this will be the ONLY time I will be able to add historical data to supplement Hal Neumann’s always excellent research. An earlier Sanborn Map of 1910 shows this info:
D.L. LYTLE'S ELEVATOR (not elevators)
CAP'Y. 30.000 BU.
POWER: ELEC. CRIB CONSTR'N
1-CLEANER. 1-FEED GRINDER. 15 HP. MOT.

The location was near the wool warehouse at the Northern Pacific Tracks. The N.P. underpass had not yet been built. The Snell Brothers involvement with the grain elevator and the wool warehouse apparently came after D.L. Lytle’s ownership of a grain elevator. When I lived at 1600 Main (1957-72), there were two Occident grain elevators near the underpass.
permalink   ·  vote tally
+3
Posted by TheDude (+87) 3 months ago
The Bagley Grain Elevator was torn down approximately in 2010.If you Google map it,it is there in 2009 and gone in 2011.
founder
supporter
Posted by Earl Bennett (+459) 3 months ago
Reply to Gary Coffrin (#375560)
WOW Gary, excellent response to an 11 yr old post...
+1
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+8615) 3 months ago
Good one Gary.

Here’s an announcement from January 1909 that Lytle intends to put up an elevator in Miles. And, it seems that our friend DL may have owned elevators in North Dakota around the same time. A search of google books comes up with several entries for him. Still no picture though ; -)

THE AMERICAN ELEVATOR AND GRAIN TRADE
1911, v.30: No.4
https://archive.org/detai...1053470224
The Lytle Elevator Co., Miles City, N. D., which recently filed articles of incorporation, has completed its organization. The incorporators are D. L. Lytle, F. J. Lytle, and A. H. Lytle. The com- pany is capitalized for $75,000, $50,000 of which is paid in, and the remainder will be offered on the local market. The company owns elevators at Miles City, Huntley and Columbus, N. D., with a total capacity of 140,000 bushels.

David Levi Lytle
Find a Grave
https://www.findagrave.co...levi-lytle

[Edited by Hal Neumann (3/27/2018 1:20:42 PM)]
Posted by cowdog (+122) 3 months ago
That elevator was still standing in the early 70's. It believe it was the Montana Elevator Co. painted on it by then. However, it had been closed a long time. It was torn down shortly after that.
founder
Posted by David Schott (+12300) 3 months ago
My recollection is that there were two grain elevators next to the underpass and at least one of them said "Occident" on it. It seems like one of them caught on fire and burned down and the other was demolished. My guess is they went away sometime around 1980.

The underpass opened in 1932. Apparently the City of Miles City leaned on the Northern Pacific Railway to build a grade-separated crossing and, I think, passed an ordinance requiring NP to do so.

Two businesses located on Main Street at that location -- the Yellowstone Lumber Company (Lay-Rite Carpet building) and the grain elevators were opposed to the construction of the underpass because they felt it would negatively impact access to their business without giving them any compensation for it. It seems like those two businesses filed briefings with the court taking the side of the NP Railway in their opposition to building a subway on Main Street. I think the City of Miles City might have lost its case and appealed the case on the grounds that those two businesses shouldn't have been allowed to file their letters in the court case. I believe the Montana Supreme Court sided with the lower court in allowing those letters to be admitted.

It would be interesting to know the whole story about how the "subway" came to be and who ultimately paid for it. It would also be interesting to know how they built the subway without disrupting train traffic.
founder

Flickr: ka7iln: UNDERPASS_MILES CITY MT

Photo (C) ka7iln @ Flickr.com
+1
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+8615) 3 months ago
Good photo David. Thanks.
founder
As I think about it, I believe they were in the process of tearing down these grain elevators when one of them burned down.