You are here > Top: Forums: National/World News & Issues: Greatest Generation's Spawn
National/World News & Issues Forum Topic
You are viewing the Greatest Generation's Spawn topic in the National/World News & Issues forum.
 Greatest Generation's Spawn, Donator Hal Neumann, 9/9/2011 8:50:12 AM
 RE: Greatest Generation's SpawnDonator Bridgier, 9/9/2011 10:26:59 AM
 RE: Greatest Generation's Spawn, Rick Kuchynka, 9/9/2011 6:47:17 PM
 RE: Greatest Generation's SpawnDonator Bridgier, 9/9/2011 8:09:09 PM
 RE: Greatest Generation's Spawn, Rick Kuchynka, 9/10/2011 7:43:55 AM
 RE: Greatest Generation's SpawnDonator Bridgier, 9/10/2011 8:26:39 AM
 RE: Greatest Generation's SpawnDonator Gunnar Emilsson, 9/10/2011 9:22:06 AM
 RE: Greatest Generation's SpawnRestricted Cheryl Pieters, 9/10/2011 9:52:30 AM
 RE: Greatest Generation's Spawn, Rick Kuchynka, 9/10/2011 10:07:42 AM
 RE: Greatest Generation's Spawn, howdy, 9/10/2011 10:47:18 AM
 RE: Greatest Generation's Spawn, Rick Kuchynka, 9/10/2011 11:10:37 AM
 RE: Greatest Generation's Spawn, Bob L., 9/10/2011 11:14:36 AM
 RE: Greatest Generation's Spawn, Rick Kuchynka, 9/10/2011 11:22:49 AM
 RE: Greatest Generation's SpawnDonator Richard Bonine, Jr., 9/10/2011 11:45:28 AM
 RE: Greatest Generation's Spawn, Rick Kuchynka, 9/10/2011 11:56:37 AM
 RE: Greatest Generation's Spawn, Buck Showalter, 9/10/2011 8:35:19 PM
 RE: Greatest Generation's SpawnDonator Gunnar Emilsson, 9/10/2011 8:44:28 PM
 RE: Greatest Generation's Spawn, Rick Kuchynka, 9/10/2011 9:15:34 PM
 RE: Greatest Generation's SpawnDonator Richard Bonine, Jr., 9/10/2011 9:51:54 PM
 RE: Greatest Generation's Spawn, Buck Showalter, 9/10/2011 10:54:31 PM
 RE: Greatest Generation's Spawn, Rick Kuchynka, 9/10/2011 11:35:18 PM
 RE: Greatest Generation's Spawn, Bob L., 9/11/2011 6:17:13 AM
 RE: Greatest Generation's Spawn, Rick Kuchynka, 9/11/2011 11:49:27 AM
 RE: Greatest Generation's SpawnDonator Bridgier, 9/12/2011 10:10:29 AM
 Subject: Greatest Generation's Spawn
Author: Donator Hal Neumann  Posted: Fri Sep 9 8:50:12 AM MDT 2011 From:
 Subject: RE: Greatest Generation's Spawn
Author: Donator Bridgier  Posted: Fri Sep 9 10:26:59 AM MDT 2011 From: - ID
While I agree with the general premise of the article title, I also have to agree with the commenters to this piece - the devil's in the details, and when the first policy change the authors suggest are those suggested by some members of the Simpson-Bowles Commission (aka: the Catfood Commission), the rest of the article is fairly easy to predict.

They call for "sacrifice" without really telling you who should be sacrificing, but all their policy suggestions (means testing, etc) put the burden of sacrifice on the people who've been sacrificing already - the American middle class. Moralistic statements about overextending on home ownership are just the cherry on the top. As though it was homeowners who created the Liar's Loan and the Adjustable Rate Mortgage.

Robert Reich's article (which you linked to earlier) is much better.
Author: Rick Kuchynka  Posted: Fri Sep 9 6:47:17 PM MDT 2011 From: - MT
Bridgier will not rest until it is impossible for people to make bad decisions.

Then when he's done, he will call it 'freedom'
Author: Donator Bridgier  Posted: Fri Sep 9 8:09:09 PM MDT 2011 From: - ID
Your parser's broken or something. You should look at getting that fixed.

But you're right... I think both sides having equal access to information in a financial transaction is "freedom", and I think that Adam Smith would agree.

[This message has been edited by Bridgier (9/9/2011)]
Author: Rick Kuchynka  Posted: Sat Sep 10 7:43:55 AM MDT 2011 From:
Yeah- I'm sure a quick "lying on your application to get more than you can afford is bad, mmmkay" or "Hey, adjustable rates change sometimes" would've fixed everything.
Author: Donator Bridgier  Posted: Sat Sep 10 8:26:39 AM MDT 2011 From: - ID
Rick, I really don't understand you. And I'm not trying to zing you or whatever - I really don't understand how you come to a philosophy which comforts the rich and the powerful, simply because they ARE rich and powerful, while turning your back on people who are simply trying to get by. And let's not even begin to discus your attitudes towards torture.

I'm not trying to be a dick about this or anything, but I simply don't see how you can honestly reconcile your religious beliefs and your political philosophy.
Author: Donator Gunnar Emilsson  Posted: Sat Sep 10 9:22:06 AM MDT 2011 From:
The only way I can understand Rick, was when I reached the conclusion several years ago, that he really doesn't believe anything that he posts. He is paid by the Republican Party to post this stuff.
Author: Restricted Cheryl Pieters  Posted: Sat Sep 10 9:52:30 AM MDT 2011 From: - CA
.....or at the very least, brainwashed by the Republican Party to post this stuff.
Author: Rick Kuchynka  Posted: Sat Sep 10 10:07:42 AM MDT 2011 From: - MT
I really don't understand how you come to a philosophy which comforts the rich and the powerful, simply because they ARE rich and powerful, while turning your back on people who are simply trying to get by.

I think the problem, Bridgier, is that we (and by we I mean almost everyone here) talk past each other to the point that we're not really trying to understand the person talking. The quote above isn't a description anyone's true belief. It's a caricature. That's not to say I don't do the same to you and your Unicornian Utopia brigade smile but I think it's important not to read personal things into political beliefs.

I fundamentally don't understand your political beliefs. I'm not sure why, other than some vague sense that I just don't think the same way you do. But for the most part, I'm ok with that. I probably won't stop thinking the way I do. I won't stop wondering why you think the way you do. But because I know I don't understand your politics, it would be pointless for me to try to reconcile them with your religious beliefs, even if I understood those any better.

It's probably more pointless to try to nutshell something that I've tried to say a thousand ways a thousand times. Tyranny can have good intentions.
Author: howdy  Posted: Sat Sep 10 10:47:18 AM MDT 2011 From: - MT
Per Bill Maher, "at some point, the left have moved toward the center and the right have taken a short bus to crazy town..."

Exactly right Bill, IMO...

Also from a liberal to a conservative: "If the good Lord thought money was everything, he would have given it to a better class of people"...

[This message has been edited by howdy (9/10/2011)]
Author: Rick Kuchynka  Posted: Sat Sep 10 11:10:37 AM MDT 2011 From: - MT
That's ok, Howdy. I feel like once I've gotten someone to appeal to the authority of Bill Maher, I must've accomplished something. smile
Author: Bob L.  Posted: Sat Sep 10 11:14:36 AM MDT 2011 From: - ND
Douche
Author: Rick Kuchynka  Posted: Sat Sep 10 11:22:49 AM MDT 2011 From: - MT
Exactly. smile
Author: Donator Richard Bonine, Jr.  Posted: Sat Sep 10 11:45:28 AM MDT 2011 From: - WY
I fundamentally don't understand your political beliefs. I'm not sure why, other than some vague sense that I just don't think the same way you do. But for the most part, I'm ok with that.

IMO, the fact that you (we) apparently won't try to understand others is:

A. very sad and disheartening;

B. accounts for 95% of the "political communication" problems in this country. We should not demand our leaders behave in a way that we ourselves are not willing to behave. Goodness happens when we make an effort to understand those with whom we disagree.

If we don't exert the minimal effort to try and understand others, we are like Buzz Lightyear; an empty plastic shell that has expandable wings to make himself bigger than he really is; a few buttons that can be pushed for some phrases that sound cool and first but become tiresome after a while; and thinks he can fly to infinity and beyond, when in reality he is simply a child's plaything.

[This message has been edited by Richard Bonine, Jr. (9/10/2011)]
Author: Rick Kuchynka  Posted: Sat Sep 10 11:56:37 AM MDT 2011 From:
The fact that you cut that quote off where you did leads me to think that you're not really listening either.

I also said that I wouldn't "stop wondering" why you think the way you do. I'm just not sure I'll ever understand because it is so different than my way of thinking.
Author: Buck Showalter  Posted: Sat Sep 10 8:35:19 PM MDT 2011 From: - MT
Richard doesn't let a radio pundit do his thinking, that's "different."

[This message has been edited by Buck Showalter (9/10/2011)]
Author: Donator Gunnar Emilsson  Posted: Sat Sep 10 8:44:28 PM MDT 2011 From:
It's probably more pointless to try to nutshell something that I've tried to say a thousand ways a thousand times. Tyranny can have good intentions.

What, pray tell. have you tried to say a thousand ways a thousand times?

I believe I speak on behalf of EVERYONE here at mc.com, that outside of your dumbass strawman crapola (which we understand your pathetic mimicking of the FOX News Network), we have NO IDEA what you are trying to say.

You are simply a Republican Troll, plain and simple. You have nothing to say. Period.

Address this, Evil One. Why won't the Republican Party support raising taxes just to pay for the wars that Bush started?

Answer in advance: (Oh, upon on my dear departed aunt in the West Palm Springs graveyard's grave, we first have to cut all government spending before we could even start to pay for the wars we started, why look at this piece of poop graph from the weekly standard, blah, blah, blah....why am I such a tool...blah, blah, blah)
Author: Rick Kuchynka  Posted: Sat Sep 10 9:15:34 PM MDT 2011 From: - MT
Richard doesn't let a radio pundit do his thinking, that's "different."

Misty water colored memories, of the way we were...

http://milescity.com/forums/posts/view/13752/

Sounds like you're more in the radio pundit loop than I am.

Who listens to talk radio anymore? Honestly. smile
Author: Donator Richard Bonine, Jr.  Posted: Sat Sep 10 9:51:54 PM MDT 2011 From: - WY
Who listens to talk radio anymore? Honestly.

I do... NPR. It is amazing how much more information they provide. They also more fair and balanced than anyone else out there.
Author: Buck Showalter  Posted: Sat Sep 10 10:54:31 PM MDT 2011 From: - MT
Wow. Deluded.
Author: Rick Kuchynka  Posted: Sat Sep 10 11:35:18 PM MDT 2011 From: - MT
Geez, you guys sure are testy lately. I was having a hard time figuring out what the deal was, and then I remembered

Author: Bob L.  Posted: Sun Sep 11 6:17:13 AM MDT 2011 From: - ND
As usual, Rickenhawk is wrong.

According to Gallup, it's

Obama 45
Generic Republican 39

http://www.gallup.com/poll/election.aspx

Nice try, bitch. laughing out loud
Author: Rick Kuchynka  Posted: Sun Sep 11 11:49:27 AM MDT 2011 From: - MT
Easy there, Bruce. No need for name calling.

I am surprised Gallup's numbers changed that much. Definitely seems to be an outlier though.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4440129...litics/#.TmZ9huyHhBk

Obama hits all-time lows, according to NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll
Author: Donator Bridgier  Posted: Mon Sep 12 10:10:29 AM MDT 2011 From: - ID
talk past each other to the point that we're not really trying to understand the person talking.

You're absolutely right Rick - I don't understand why people (particularly self-identifying Christian people) think that FYIGMism makes them moral exemplars.

You haven't been particularly helpful in shedding light upon why I should give the wealthy the benefit of the doubt, while at the same time assuming that everyone in my social class or below is a cheatyface bastard who's going to game the system if given the smallest chance.

And perhaps the obverse is true - perhaps I haven't been very good at communicating how I look at the world - that life is hard, even if you make all the right choices, and that I've got no patience for people who want to make it even harder for others to simply get by, just so they can make an extra point or two on their investments, that orthopraxis trumps orthodoxy, that empathy should trump citizenship, etc, etc, etc.

But people are actually suffering Rick, suffering because the economic theories and orthodoxies that have been promoted and pushed over the last thirty years have destroyed them, no matter if they've made good choices or bad. You appear to treat this all like a game, and it's not.
Copyright © 1998-2014 MilesCity.com. All Rights Reserved. Do not copy without permission.
MilesCity.com :: Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Rules of Conduct :: Donate | Contact Info