You are here > Top: Forums: History & Genealogy: Cowboys and Indians
History & Genealogy Forum Topic
You are viewing the Cowboys and Indians topic in the History & Genealogy forum.
 Cowboys and Indians, C. A. Kirkpatrick, 8/3/2011 9:43:16 PM
 RE: Cowboys and IndiansDonator Richard Bonine, Jr., 8/3/2011 9:56:54 PM
 RE: Cowboys and Indians, Levi Forman, 8/4/2011 7:16:00 AM
 RE: Cowboys and IndiansDonator Gunnar Emilsson, 8/4/2011 9:13:11 AM
 RE: Cowboys and IndiansDonator Jeanne M Bole, 8/4/2011 1:06:17 PM
 RE: Cowboys and Indians, D. Matzen, 8/4/2011 10:00:05 PM
 RE: Cowboys and Indians, Steve Craddock, 8/4/2011 10:39:03 PM
 RE: Cowboys and IndiansDonator Bridgier, 8/4/2011 10:58:03 PM
 RE: Cowboys and Indians, Levi Forman, 8/5/2011 6:44:00 AM
 RE: Cowboys and IndiansDonator Bridgier, 8/5/2011 6:55:02 AM
 Subject: Cowboys and Indians
Author: C. A. Kirkpatrick  Posted: Wed Aug 3 9:43:16 PM MDT (UTC-6) 2011 From: - AZ
Hi you all. I thought you might enjoy these pictures.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured/2011/02/23/from-the-archive-frontier-life-in-the-west/2713/

Miss my hometown and enjoy reading all the posts.
 Subject: RE: Cowboys and Indians
Author: Donator Richard Bonine, Jr.  Posted: Wed Aug 3 9:56:54 PM MDT (UTC-6) 2011 From: - WY
http://blogs.denverpost.com/capture...fe-in-the-west/2713/

Cool photos, thanks for sharing. beer
Author: Levi Forman  Posted: Thu Aug 4 7:16:00 AM MDT (UTC-6) 2011 From: - CA
Those are great. Check out the 6-pack abs on the Indians in the 7th picture. I didn't know those actually happened naturally.

The commenters are worse than MC.com.
Author: Donator Gunnar Emilsson  Posted: Thu Aug 4 9:13:11 AM MDT (UTC-6) 2011 From:
Boy, you got that right, Levi. The commentors are enormous idiots.
Author: Donator Jeanne M Bole  Posted: Thu Aug 4 1:06:17 PM MDT (UTC-6) 2011 From: - CO
Thanks so much for sharing great pictures.
Author: D. Matzen  Posted: Thu Aug 4 10:00:05 PM MDT (UTC-6) 2011 From: - MT
Awesome pictures!
Author: Steve Craddock  Posted: Thu Aug 4 10:39:03 PM MDT (UTC-6) 2011 From: - AZ
The photos on this website are incredibly interesting. Big question: How did all those people in their fancy dresses and suits stay so clean? I can't seem to manage that feat even with paved roads and air conditioned cars....

And that timber mill -- how did they keep those logs stacked so high? I can't even manage to stack a cord of wood without a collapse or two....

A common misconception (advanced by John Ford/John Wayne westerns) that is debunked by the photos: The settlers rarely used horses to pull their various wagons (which themselves were rarely the famed Conestogas because the price tag was beyond the reach of most common folks of the day). Oxen were the Chevies and Hondas of the great emigration west.

OK, now that my Cliff Claven moment is out of the way, I can echo Levi's comment about the 6-packs. I thought that was a phenomenon born of the Bowmaster Age - I'm surprised to see it was so common in the Bow and Arrow Age as well.
Author: Donator Bridgier  Posted: Thu Aug 4 10:58:03 PM MDT (UTC-6) 2011 From: - OR
It's hard to get fat when you spend four+ months of the year on the high plains in a teepee. The amount of calories that people used to burn to simply secure the calories for the next day is really amazing.
Author: Levi Forman  Posted: Fri Aug 5 6:44:00 AM MDT (UTC-6) 2011 From:
I was surprised at how nicely dressed everyone was as well. I'm trying to reconcile that with my house which was built in the 40s and has 2 3-foot wide closets for the whole house. They wore a lot of clothes but they must not have changed them very often.
Author: Donator Bridgier  Posted: Fri Aug 5 6:55:02 AM MDT (UTC-6) 2011 From: - OR
It's hard to get fat when you spend four+ months of the year of winter on the high plains in a teepee.

That's what I was trying to say.
Copyright © 1998-2014 MilesCity.com. All Rights Reserved. Do not copy without permission.
MilesCity.com :: Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Rules of Conduct :: Donate | Contact Info