SPONSORED 
You are here > Top: Forums: Computers, Internet & Technology: anyone in MC repairs computers?
Computers, Internet & Technology Forum Topic
You are viewing the anyone in MC repairs computers? topic in the Computers, Internet & Technology forum.
 anyone in MC repairs computers?, mcs, 6/12/2011 11:17:29 PM
 RE: anyone in MC repairs computers?, Michael LaFayette, 6/12/2011 11:39:18 PM
 RE: anyone in MC repairs computers?, Josh Rath, 6/13/2011 12:56:45 AM
 RE: anyone in MC repairs computers?, Dianna M. Dyba, 6/13/2011 2:59:47 AM
 RE: anyone in MC repairs computers?Donator Richard Bonine, Jr., 6/13/2011 7:39:20 AM
 RE: anyone in MC repairs computers?, brittany_95, 6/13/2011 10:12:19 AM
 RE: anyone in MC repairs computers?, Chelsee, 6/13/2011 10:16:16 AM
 RE: anyone in MC repairs computers?, TK, 6/13/2011 10:17:44 AM
 RE: anyone in MC repairs computers?, howdy, 6/13/2011 10:20:24 AM
 RE: anyone in MC repairs computers?Donator Gunnar Emilsson, 6/13/2011 10:30:17 AM
 RE: anyone in MC repairs computers?, SeptyTwo, 6/13/2011 10:43:34 AM
 RE: anyone in MC repairs computers?, SeptyTwo, 6/13/2011 10:48:24 AM
 RE: anyone in MC repairs computers?, brittany_95, 6/13/2011 3:34:58 PM
 RE: anyone in MC repairs computers?, SeptyTwo, 6/13/2011 4:57:10 PM
 RE: anyone in MC repairs computers?, mcs, 6/13/2011 5:37:01 PM
 RE: anyone in MC repairs computers?, Homgrown, 6/13/2011 6:53:03 PM
 RE: anyone in MC repairs computers?, Levi Forman, 6/13/2011 9:12:32 PM
 RE: anyone in MC repairs computers?, mcs, 6/13/2011 10:27:41 PM
 RE: anyone in MC repairs computers?, Homgrown, 6/13/2011 10:35:20 PM
 RE: anyone in MC repairs computers?, mcs, 6/14/2011 1:11:10 AM
 RE: anyone in MC repairs computers?, Homgrown, 6/14/2011 3:02:39 PM
 RE: anyone in MC repairs computers?, Michael LaFayette, 6/14/2011 4:30:53 PM
 RE: anyone in MC repairs computers?, brittany_95, 6/15/2011 11:09:59 AM
 RE: anyone in MC repairs computers?, SeptyTwo, 6/15/2011 11:52:31 AM
 RE: anyone in MC repairs computers?, Homgrown, 6/15/2011 12:45:05 PM
 RE: anyone in MC repairs computers?, BD, 7/27/2011 4:47:39 PM
 RE: anyone in MC repairs computers?, zzzzzzzzz, 7/27/2011 5:06:57 PM
 RE: anyone in MC repairs computers?, bc8907, 7/30/2011 9:34:32 AM
 RE: anyone in MC repairs computers?, Levi Forman, 8/2/2011 9:11:28 PM
 Subject: anyone in MC repairs computers?
Author: mcs  Posted: Sun Jun 12 11:17:29 PM MDT 2011 From: - MT
is there anyone who repairs computers around MC?
 Subject: RE: anyone in MC repairs computers?
Author: Michael LaFayette  Posted: Sun Jun 12 11:39:18 PM MDT 2011 From: - MT
I am not sure about any shops, but I am a pretty good hand with computers. What seems to be the problem?
Author: Josh Rath  Posted: Mon Jun 13 12:56:45 AM MDT 2011 From: - MT
I do. With 7 years experience in Windows & Mac. Able to remove malware, spyware, viruses. Along with more services offered. Fast and efficient also, usually able to stop by and fix it within 24 hours of calling. Send me an email and I'll be happy to provide you with my phone number. joshrathis(AT)gmail.com
Author: Dianna M. Dyba  Posted: Mon Jun 13 2:59:47 AM MDT 2011 From: - MT
234-4787 cool
Author: Donator Richard Bonine, Jr.  Posted: Mon Jun 13 7:39:20 AM MDT 2011 From: - WY
With 7 years experience in Windows & Mac.

Really? Are you old enough to legally drink beer? smile
Author: brittany_95  Posted: Mon Jun 13 10:12:19 AM MDT 2011 From:
I'm having the same problem.. Looking for someone to fix my Acer mini laptop.. Turns on just fine but will not charge.. Tried a new cord and still didn't charge.. I think it could be a problem in the charging unit but I'm not sure.. So if anyone has any ideas as to who could fix it email me please.. Thanks.
Author: Chelsee  Posted: Mon Jun 13 10:16:16 AM MDT 2011 From: - MT
Call Randy at Eye in the Sky. He does a great job! 234-5171
Author: TK  Posted: Mon Jun 13 10:17:44 AM MDT 2011 From: - MT
Brandon Holthus at Computer Solutions--if he doesn't answer leave a message.
234-5204 or 853-5204
Author: howdy  Posted: Mon Jun 13 10:20:24 AM MDT 2011 From: - MT
had a problem like that with my Dell lap top and it turned out to be the motherboard....
Author: Donator Gunnar Emilsson  Posted: Mon Jun 13 10:30:17 AM MDT 2011 From: - NY
Miles City Personal Computing will come over to your house at 10:00 p.m., and stay working on your PC until 8:00 a.m. the next morning.

That, my friends, is customer service. smile
Author: SeptyTwo  Posted: Mon Jun 13 10:43:34 AM MDT 2011 From: - MT
um.. it took them 10 hours to fix your computer?
Author: SeptyTwo  Posted: Mon Jun 13 10:48:24 AM MDT 2011 From: - MT
I'm having the same problem.. Looking for someone to fix my Acer mini laptop.. Turns on just fine but will not charge.. Tried a new cord and still didn't charge.. I think it could be a problem in the charging unit but I'm not sure.. So if anyone has any ideas as to who could fix it email me please.. Thanks.

How old is it? it could be a bad battery. Warranty still good?

My 2 and a half year old laptop's battery is going bad... I get maybe 30 minutes of battery time, but it runs fine plugged in. I think that if your computer is running fine plugged in, then the charger/power source is fine. A bad battery will just not charge, or not charge fully. Sometimes this is just normal for laptop batteries once they get old. As time goes on, they will gradually lose capacity.

Several free apps online to check battery capacity.

[This message has been edited by SeptyTwo (6/13/2011)]
Author: brittany_95  Posted: Mon Jun 13 3:34:58 PM MDT 2011 From:
Will call some people off this list soon.. Its 3 years old no warranty and it doesn't run fine plugged in that's the problem.. It won't be turned on because if the battery dies then its dead for good.. Or until I figure out what is the problem..
Author: SeptyTwo  Posted: Mon Jun 13 4:57:10 PM MDT 2011 From: - MT
yeah could be power plug.. or battery or both...

be careful NOT to spend too much on repairs or replacement battery...

those little netbooks or mini pc's are only about 250 at walmart... if your repair cost comes to half that PLUS parts... it isnt worth it... and there is plenty of ways to get your data off the old hard drive and put it onto the new computer..

just my opinion
Author: mcs  Posted: Mon Jun 13 5:37:01 PM MDT 2011 From: - MT
thanks everyone. the problem is with my laptop, which is only a year old, it will not turn on most of the time, then once every now and then it comes on and works just fine. it will stay on for a few days, then be off again
Author: Homgrown  Posted: Mon Jun 13 6:53:03 PM MDT 2011 From: - MT
mcs what is the model of your computer? wouldn't happen to be a hp dv something would it? And when the computer doesn't turn on does it post anything or does any led lights flicker or does it do nothing at all?

And Brittany it does just sound like a dc power jack that is soldered onto the motherboard or in your case no longer soldered or has cold solder joints. Not a hard fix if you know of someone who has the right tools and knowledge because the computer would have to be stripped down to just the motherboard and examined before knowing for sure. But before you do that look inside the dc jack (where you plug the power into the computer at) and there should be 2 copper "leg/flang" I'm not sure what you would call it but take a tac or needle and try to pry those legs down towards the middle of the jack if possible. They might not be making contact with the outside of the plug-in. Hope I explained that alright

[This message has been edited by Homgrown (6/13/2011)]
Author: Levi Forman  Posted: Mon Jun 13 9:12:32 PM MDT 2011 From:
You should call the manufacturer. If it's only a year old it could still be under warranty and if it's not you still might be able to send it in for repairs. I don't know how much a local computer guy will be able to do for you on a laptop, especially if it's an issue with the power switch. As was said previously, computers are pretty disposable these days, you don't want to put a lot of cash into repairing one.
Author: mcs  Posted: Mon Jun 13 10:27:41 PM MDT 2011 From: - MT
it is completely dead when it happens, no lights, no nothing and will not charge.
Author: Homgrown  Posted: Mon Jun 13 10:35:20 PM MDT 2011 From: - MT
MCS Do you by chance know what brand of computer it is e.g. dell, acer, hewlett packard... and what the model number is? Should say somewhere on the case.
Author: mcs  Posted: Tue Jun 14 1:11:10 AM MDT 2011 From: - MT
oh sorry, I forgot to mention it's an emachines E725

[This message has been edited by mcs (6/14/2011)]
Author: Homgrown  Posted: Tue Jun 14 3:02:39 PM MDT 2011 From: - MT
Try and reset your computer by removing the power plug-in and battery completely and holding down the power button for 30 to 60 seconds. This will sometimes drain any "left over" voltage left in any capacitors resulting in a reset and sometimes the CMOS battery might have to be removed which will take a little more work to get to on most computer. Try that a plug just the power from the wall into the computer and see if that works.... usually not a solution but its worth the little time it takes to try.

If that doesn't work do you know where your RAM is at? Usually on the bottom side of the computer with 1 or 2 screws in it. Remove the plastic "shield" and take out all but one stick of ram. if it still doesn't turn on. Take out that one stick still remaining in there and try the another one that had been taking out on the first try.

Let me know how it goes.
Author: Michael LaFayette  Posted: Tue Jun 14 4:30:53 PM MDT 2011 From: - MT
mcs- it could possibly be, but unlikely cause its a fairly new machine, bad cpu goop.. I know on older machines the goop that goes on the CPU under the heatsink tends to dry out, and your cpu will tend to overhead, causing random shut offs. Also same thing with the video card. It could be a number of problems, but being about a year old, I would call and see if you are covered by warranty. Like a few others said, be careful on repair costs, computers these days are getting really cheap, and its not worth spending a few hundred $$ in most cases to repair one. If it is your only option finically though, then it is the path to go. I am sure between all of us here, we can help you figure out your problem. I won't charge to take a look at your computers, as I am already indebited to miles city for all their support for me.
Good luck and keep us posted smile
Michael
Author: brittany_95  Posted: Wed Jun 15 11:09:59 AM MDT 2011 From:
Just thought I'd let you guys know, I called Randy yesterday and he called back this morning and told us that it's not worth fixing, you'd spend more than its worth so I think I'm just going to go get a new one. Thanks for everyone's help.
Author: SeptyTwo  Posted: Wed Jun 15 11:52:31 AM MDT 2011 From: - MT
if you are gonna throw it away, don't.. Ill take itsmile

And.. I might be able to get your old data off the old hard drive also

septydave(AT)gmail.com

[This message has been edited by SeptyTwo (6/15/2011)]
Author: Homgrown  Posted: Wed Jun 15 12:45:05 PM MDT 2011 From: - MT
I'll buy your broken computer and fix it myself... I live in Billings or else I wouldn't have a problem fixing it in MC. $25 and I could have someone drop the money off and pick the computer up and you can keep your old hard drive so you don't loose any data.
Email me at mrkelm87(AT)gmail.com
Author: BD  Posted: Wed Jul 27 4:47:39 PM MDT 2011 From: - MT
I will look at your computer if you would like, I have a degree in Electronic and have worked the last 10 years putting them together and working on programs and there systems give me a call if you want to at 853-1048 I charge according to time, parts and labor. I will work at your home or pick up the computer and work on it at mine. Give me a call if you just want me to take a look at it. My name is Eric.
Author: zzzzzzzzz  Posted: Wed Jul 27 5:06:57 PM MDT 2011 From: - MT
do you know anyone who takes old computers off your hands?
Author: bc8907  Posted: Sat Jul 30 9:34:32 AM MDT 2011 From: - MT
I'm continually working on random pc projects, so I'd be more than happy to take any computers or parts off your hands.
Author: Levi Forman  Posted: Tue Aug 2 9:11:28 PM MDT 2011 From:
It's probably too late to help the original poster and you may need a student ID for it to work, but here's a link for a an HP Core I5 laptop with a bluray drive and 6 gigs of ram AND an XBOX 360 for $612. Pretty smokin' deal there if you've got a kid headed to college this fall.

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/56268

[This message has been edited by Levi Forman (8/2/2011)]
Copyright © 1998-2014 MilesCity.com. All Rights Reserved. Do not copy without permission.
MilesCity.com :: Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Rules of Conduct :: Contact Info