You are here > Top: Forums: Movies, Music & Entertainment: VOLUME! VOLUME! VOLUME!
Movies, Music & Entertainment Forum Topic
You are viewing the VOLUME! VOLUME! VOLUME! topic in the Movies, Music & Entertainment forum.
 VOLUME! VOLUME! VOLUME!, Donator MRH, 5/22/2011 6:19:09 PM
 RE: VOLUME! VOLUME! VOLUME!, howdy, 5/22/2011 7:03:43 PM
 RE: VOLUME! VOLUME! VOLUME!, Wendy Wilson, 5/22/2011 10:06:36 PM
 RE: VOLUME! VOLUME! VOLUME!, Bob Netherton II, 5/22/2011 10:29:45 PM
 RE: VOLUME! VOLUME! VOLUME!Donator Richard Bonine, Jr., 5/23/2011 6:02:46 AM
 RE: VOLUME! VOLUME! VOLUME!, Steve Sullivan, 5/23/2011 8:09:06 AM
 RE: VOLUME! VOLUME! VOLUME!Donator MRH, 5/23/2011 12:22:44 PM
 RE: VOLUME! VOLUME! VOLUME!, Lee Jackson, 5/23/2011 12:56:30 PM
 RE: VOLUME! VOLUME! VOLUME!, Forsyth Mike, 5/23/2011 1:57:57 PM
 Subject: VOLUME! VOLUME! VOLUME!
Author: Donator MRH  Posted: Sun May 22 6:19:09 PM MDT (UTC-6) 2011 From: - MT
Did you hear that? Just a 'shout out' from an 'old' duffer to see if any of you folks are bothered by the 'high' volume at some venues. We had to leave a Pam Tillis concert in Forsyth a few years back, because our ears could only take so much. We've esentially quit going to concerts. Thank goodness I enjoy going to Open Mic and the Bluegrass Festival, and the volume is fine at both events. We tried to go to Cowboy Church this morning, but we left after a few minutes, and our ears were still ringing later in the day. WHAT GIVES, ARE YOU PEOPLE DEAF?
 Subject: RE: VOLUME! VOLUME! VOLUME!
Author: howdy  Posted: Sun May 22 7:03:43 PM MDT (UTC-6) 2011 From: - MT
LOL, the younger generation seems to enjoy the louder sounds, I think, altho not sure...but for sure my generation (I am 66) really don't like it...Perhaps after years of elevated sounds, there is a big hearing loss in the younger ones...My grandson sure loves things very loud (even his tail pipe on his car)
Author: Wendy Wilson  Posted: Sun May 22 10:06:36 PM MDT (UTC-6) 2011 From: - UT
Just wear earplugs. It helps a lot.
Author: Bob Netherton II  Posted: Sun May 22 10:29:45 PM MDT (UTC-6) 2011 From: - NY
When I was a kid, a concert was expected to sting your ears and leave a residual buzz. Anything less was a disappointment.
Author: Donator Richard Bonine, Jr.  Posted: Mon May 23 6:02:46 AM MDT (UTC-6) 2011 From: - WY
We tried to go to Cowboy Church this morning, but we left after a few minutes, and our ears were still ringing later in the day.

Just wear earplugs. It helps a lot.

Good advice if you are going to say a Deaf Leopard concert. But, there is something just wrong about having to wear ear plugs to church. eek!
Author: Steve Sullivan  Posted: Mon May 23 8:09:06 AM MDT (UTC-6) 2011 From: - ID
Always take earplugs to any show you attend. That way you are prepared. You may not always have to use them, but at least you can if you need to.

The big problem with shows that have an FOH (front of house) engineer is that many of them, over time, have become desensitized to the volume. I used to be an FOH engineer in a well known venue and the rest of the help after a while kept complaining to me to "turn it down." I hadn't realized that in just a couple of months of rock shows it didn't seem very loud to me any more. I thought the equipment was going bad. I kept turning it up to what I perceived as the same level before.

Then I took a short vacation. When I got back from a few weeks off I noticed that all of my old levels on the mixer sounded way too loud. WTH? I then started using ear plugs and my head aches went away too. Occasionally I would pull out the plugs during a show so that I could set volumes and make some other adjustments. For the most part the sound was much better after I became aware of what had been happening to my hearing.

Artists often hire FOH guys that have years of experience. This usually means that their hearing is often compromised. If you go to a show that is WAY too loud, find the FOH and ask them if they have a SPL meter. Then ask them to tell you what the level is. Many times they are unaware that it's too loud. Don't blame the folks on stage. It's all in the power of one person whether it sounds good or not.
Author: Donator MRH  Posted: Mon May 23 12:22:44 PM MDT (UTC-6) 2011 From: - MT
Thanks Steve for a wonderful description of the problem. I knew volume and balance were controlled by the one person, but had not thought of the hearing loss. Thankfully the folks at Open Mic and the Bluegrass Festival do a Great job.

Richard, I LOL at your comment, and we felt the same about Cowboy Church.

Be the way, we are both hard of hearing and were not wearing our hearing aids.

We'll just keep our concerts to a minimum and use the money to buy CDs and old LPs.
Author: Lee Jackson  Posted: Mon May 23 12:56:30 PM MDT (UTC-6) 2011 From: - MT
I remeber attending a Pam Tillis concert several (y)ears back at Cheyenne Frontier Days. It was by far the loudest concert I have ever attended which included Van Halen, Rush, and AC/DC in my younger days. It ruined the concert for me.

BTW: Thanks for the kudos on the open mic and Bluegrass Festival sound. Don Stewart works real hard at the open mics and Jim Howe has provided sound for the Bluegrass Festival for a number of years.

[This message has been edited by Lee Jackson (5/23/2011)]
Author: Forsyth Mike  Posted: Mon May 23 1:57:57 PM MDT (UTC-6) 2011 From: - MT
Volume tolerance is pretty relative to different people. I like loud music myself, but many people don't. A person can tolerate a lot more volume if the sound is clean than if it's distorted.

My wife and I went to the Elton John concert at Billings a few weeks ago and the sound there was great, I thought. But a Doobie Brothers concert a few years ago, at the Shrine Auditorium in Billings (which I expected to sound great) was overdriven to the point of distraction and it ruined the show for us.

[This message has been edited by Forsyth Mike (5/23/2011)]
Copyright © 1998-2014 MilesCity.com. All Rights Reserved. Do not copy without permission.
MilesCity.com :: Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Rules of Conduct :: Donate | Contact Info