You are here > Top: Forums: History & Genealogy: Selbman Movies of WWII era Miles City
History & Genealogy Forum Topic
You are viewing the Selbman Movies of WWII era Miles City topic in the History & Genealogy forum.
 Selbman Movies of WWII era Miles City, Donator David Schott, 3/13/2001 3:02:03 PM
 RE: Selbman Movies of WWII era Miles City, Bart Freese, 3/14/2001 7:04:08 PM
 RE: Selbman Movies of WWII era Miles CityDonator David Schott, 3/14/2001 7:44:29 PM
 RE: Selbman Movies of WWII era Miles City, Bart Freese, 3/15/2001 8:02:52 AM
 RE: Selbman Movies of WWII era Miles CityDonator David Schott, 3/15/2001 10:43:38 AM
 RE: Selbman Movies of WWII era Miles City, Bart Freese, 3/15/2001 4:23:22 PM
 RE: Selbman Movies of WWII era Miles CityDonator David Schott, 3/15/2001 4:53:34 PM
 RE: Selbman Movies of WWII era Miles CityAdmin MilesCity.com Webmaster, 3/15/2001 5:02:03 PM
 RE: Selbman Movies of WWII era Miles City, Bart Freese, 3/15/2001 7:31:53 PM
 RE: Selbman Movies of WWII era Miles City, Elaine Swanson, 3/15/2001 8:26:12 PM
 RE: Selbman Movies of WWII era Miles CityDonator David Schott, 3/15/2001 10:20:59 PM
 RE: Selbman Movies of WWII era Miles CityAdmin MilesCity.com Webmaster, 3/15/2001 11:20:23 PM
 RE: Selbman Movies of WWII era Miles CityAdmin MilesCity.com Webmaster, 3/16/2001 12:01:39 AM
 RE: Selbman Movies of WWII era Miles City, Bart Freese, 3/16/2001 6:19:54 AM
 RE: Selbman Movies of WWII era Miles CityAdmin MilesCity.com Webmaster, 3/16/2001 8:54:07 AM
 RE: Selbman Movies of WWII era Miles CityDonator Dave Roberts, 3/16/2001 9:11:10 AM
 RE: Selbman Movies of WWII era Miles City, Elaine Swanson, 3/16/2001 10:46:39 PM
 RE: Selbman Movies of WWII era Miles City, Elaine Swanson, 3/16/2001 10:50:13 PM
 RE: Selbman Movies of WWII era Miles CityAdmin MilesCity.com Webmaster, 3/17/2001 12:19:59 AM
 RE: Selbman Movies of WWII era Miles CityAdmin MilesCity.com Webmaster, 3/17/2001 12:27:32 AM
 RE: Selbman Movies of WWII era Miles City, Elaine Swanson, 3/17/2001 11:22:00 AM
 RE: Selbman Movies of WWII era Miles City, Bart Freese, 3/18/2001 6:19:27 AM
 RE: Selbman Movies of WWII era Miles CityDonator David Schott, 5/24/2011 2:43:30 PM
 RE: Selbman Movies of WWII era Miles City, Mandyrosy, 5/26/2011 8:28:31 AM
 RE: Selbman Movies of WWII era Miles City, Marla Prell, 5/26/2011 8:58:00 AM
 Subject: Selbman Movies of WWII era Miles City
Author: Donator David Schott  Posted: Tue Mar 13 3:02:03 PM MDT (UTC-6) 2001 From:
I saw this mentioned as an upcoming project on the Miles City Genealogical Society's Web page. Anyone know the status of this project?

Thanks,

- Dave
 Subject: RE: Selbman Movies of WWII era Miles City
Author: Bart Freese  Posted: Wed Mar 14 7:04:08 PM MDT (UTC-6) 2001 From:
I don't know where the project is at, but I do know the gal heading it up and I'll give her a phone call and let her know you and probably others are interested. Last I knew, they were trying to get some grant money (get in line!!!! And, no pushing) to transfer everything over from 8mm to video. By the way, anyone know where I could get some 16mm film transfered over to video for a reasonable (read cheap) price? I am trying to avoid the dreaded flicker problem that comes from different frames per second.
Author: Donator David Schott  Posted: Wed Mar 14 7:44:29 PM MDT (UTC-6) 2001 From:
Thanks, Bart. I am definitely interested in finding out more about the project. Have you seen any of these films? I am curious to know if they actually show the city and give an idea of how the town looked at the time.

Is Robin Gerber of the S.E. Montana Research Library the person behind this? Speaking of Robin, I wonder if she ever makes it up to this Web site. I love reading the historical stories that she has done for the Miles City Star.

Bert Elwood (Miles City Personal Computing / www.mcpc.ws) mentioned once that his dad (Harold Elwood) had some film of the Miles City area that he took when he bought the land where Miles City Floral and Greenhouse used to be located on Tompy Street. That would have been at a time when that area of town looked significantly different. It would be fascinating to see.

- Dave
Author: Bart Freese  Posted: Thu Mar 15 8:02:52 AM MDT (UTC-6) 2001 From:
Yes, Robin and others are working on the film project. As for the site, funny you should ask. I saw her on Friday at MCC where she is the history teacher, and told her she should wander over to mc.com site and look into all the interesting topics being discussed. She said she had not seen the site lately and would do so. Now, I don't know how she'll feel about having her name in discussion (hey, it's for a good cause.) I'll call them today, if I remember and get back to you.
Author: Donator David Schott  Posted: Thu Mar 15 10:43:38 AM MDT (UTC-6) 2001 From:
>>Now, I don't know how she'll feel about having her name in discussion<<

Ha, ha. Between her and Amorette Allison and the wonderful contributions they make to the Miles City Star (and the community as a whole) it's like we have two local celebrities in our midst. : )
Author: Bart Freese  Posted: Thu Mar 15 4:23:22 PM MDT (UTC-6) 2001 From:
Ohhhhh puh-lease. I say this only because Amorette is my sister. In fact, I am the one that told her she needed to get over to this site since there were the history discussions going on -- and the fact that she needed a new USB scanner since she had gotten a new computer (Feb. contest.)

The movies -- Selbman Movies of WWII era Miles City. The films have been transfered to video at some production house in Billings where the final postproduction/duplication work is to be done. Everything is timecoded, and ready for cutting/pasting. Elaine Swanson, also M-C Star writer, is heading the project up. I told her to put her two cents in on this forum as well. She says they hope to have the work done by the summer of 2002. There are, however, 13,000 problems -- the price of production/copying/etc. The group is trying to secure grants to gather the money. I suggested video editing themselves using computer software, but they have their reasons for wanting a professional outfit do the work. Anyway, hopefully Elaine will chime in later. Hey, anyone wanting to make a donation to this worthy cause speak up.
Author: Donator David Schott  Posted: Thu Mar 15 4:53:34 PM MDT (UTC-6) 2001 From:
Ha, ha, you've got me rolling on the floor laughing. I suspect your sister and Robin hardly consider themselves celebrites. But, they have done some good things for the community.

I would definitely be interested in hearing what Elaine has to say and I might even be persuaded to pitch in a little toward the project.

- Dave
Author: Admin MilesCity.com Webmaster  Posted: Thu Mar 15 5:02:03 PM MDT (UTC-6) 2001 From:
About how much does the entire project cost?
Author: Bart Freese  Posted: Thu Mar 15 7:31:53 PM MDT (UTC-6) 2001 From:
I agree, the ladies do add a lot. I have greatly enjoyed last summer's Ghost Tour -- of which I was one of the ghosts. Works are in the process now for this summer.

As for the video project costs, Elaine said $13,000. Nothing comes cheap. If I had more time, and hard drive space (not to mention personal drive) I'd be tempted to do some editing work for them. What about server space? If someone came up with some interesting video, could mc.com host it? On our school's web site, I have some video, but it is not on our Midriver's site, rather it is hosted on the Apple computer's equipment. Apple has free 20 MBs of space; however, it has to be in the QuickTime format, which I realize has long since been replaced as the industry standard. Could video be saved as a general MPEG file and be accessible by Real, Windows Media, and QT players -- all hosted on mc.com??

[This message has been edited by Bart Freese (edited 3/15/2001).]
Author: Elaine Swanson  Posted: Thu Mar 15 8:26:12 PM MDT (UTC-6) 2001 From:
Hi! Henry Selbman was a mailman and loved to document Miles City. He filmed Miles City from 1934 to his death in 1956. He documented what he filmed and many of the notes are still with the films. There are about 10 hours of film, much of which is very good quality (image-wise), though brittle. Some of the footage isn't clear. The older films, for the most part, are better. My favorite footage is of a soapbox derby held on Airport Hill in 1936. Those kids go zooming down the hill so fast, I cannot believe they don't lose control and go flying into the Yellowstone River! There's a lot of footage of parades, which shows the buildings on Main Street. He filmed the community picking sugar beets during the labor shortage during WWII and loading the horse-drawn wagon to deliver the mail (these are two that are borderline usable, but hopeful the production company will know of a technique to sharpen it). There's kids in Holloween costumes in the 30s, and every step of the process of paving North Eighth Street is documented. Flooding in filmed and the main buildings in town. He filmed the courthouse, hospital and VA hospital under construction. There are some pretty fun scenes, and I think it gives a good feel of what it was like to be here then.

Currently we have raised $2,000 of the $13,000. The $2,000 paid for transferring the brittle film to a production-quality tape and a time-coded video copy we are using to decide what footage we want. We took a break to finish the Miles City Historical Map project, and now we are returning to finish the video. We are beginning to apply for grants again and are looking for sponsors for the film. As Bart said, we hope to have it completed in the summer of 2002. It probably will be a 30-minute video.
Author: Donator David Schott  Posted: Thu Mar 15 10:20:59 PM MDT (UTC-6) 2001 From:
Thanks for the information, Elaine. Those films sound fascinating. I'm delighted to know an effort is being made to preserve them and make portions available to the public.

What is the procedure if someone wants to contribute toward the cause? Is this a 501(c)/non-profit organization?

Thanks,

- Dave

BTW, the Miles City Historical Map is superb! It is really cool. I don't know if there are still copies available but if there are and if anyone on these forums is interested, I recommend it highly.
Author: Admin MilesCity.com Webmaster  Posted: Thu Mar 15 11:20:23 PM MDT (UTC-6) 2001 From:
Wow. $13,000 seems like a lot of money.

Seriously though, what does that cover? What type of product are you shooting for? Professional box artwork and scrolling credits? Narrative? Does that include the duplication costs? If so, what quantity?

I did a quick search and it seems to me that, given a master, you can get 1,000 VHS tapes created (with labels and shrink wrap) for about a buck and a half each.

Regards, Larry

[This message has been edited by Larry Antram (edited 3/17/2001).]
Author: Admin MilesCity.com Webmaster  Posted: Fri Mar 16 12:01:39 AM MDT (UTC-6) 2001 From:
the problem with doing digital video editing is that in order to do it right you have to have a good MPEG2 video capture board ($1600), a beefy computer that can handle the bandwidth, gobs and gobs of disk space (preferably in a RAID array), an SVHS video recorder ($600), and a copy of Adobe Premier (and someone who knows how to use it).

i have all of those things except a good video capture board. i have an okay MPEG2 board, but it doesn't really cut it for doing broadcast quality captures.

in regards to hosting video... my server does have Windows Media Services installed and it is capable of doing streaming video... but... the problem is that my connection to the net wouldn't be able to handle the load as i've only got a 768K connection (1/2 of a T1)...

good video requires 80K or 300K of bandwidth per stream... which brings up another problem, in that, essentially no one in Miles City has a connection that fast anyway.

i could probably host short MPEG clips on my FTP server though. it has a 10Mbps connection and i beleive about 20GB of free disk space on it. you would have to download the clip and play it after downloading it.

something to think about anyway.

regards, larry
Author: Bart Freese  Posted: Fri Mar 16 6:19:54 AM MDT (UTC-6) 2001 From:
>>which brings up another problem, in that, essentially no one in Miles City has a connection that fast anyway.

Why is that? What keeps AT&T Broadband Cable from bringing in broadband Internet? Why can't we get DSL phone connections? Inquiring, complaining minds (like me) want to know.
Author: Admin MilesCity.com Webmaster  Posted: Fri Mar 16 8:54:07 AM MDT (UTC-6) 2001 From:
I wonder the same thing. Perhaps somone should start a letter writing campaign to get the attention of the phone and cable companies. Seems like they are dragging their feet in smaller markets.
Author: Donator Dave Roberts  Posted: Fri Mar 16 9:11:10 AM MDT (UTC-6) 2001 From:
I don't have a machine that could host something that size, but I *might* have an idea how to get a pipeline.

MidRivers has been donating DSL lines of various bandwidths to the hospitals here (Billings and outposts) for telemedicine networks.

Full motion, live action, face to face conferencing from Ekalaka/Baker/Jordan/etc to Doctors in Billings is about as bandwidth hungry an application as I can think of, and they're in the process of getting "clue" about firewalls to make it happen right now.

Anybody got connections with MidRivers people?
Author: Elaine Swanson  Posted: Fri Mar 16 10:46:39 PM MDT (UTC-6) 2001 From:
I've seen many videos produced "cheaply" and we decided that if we were going to do this project, we wanted it to be one that Miles City would be proud of. I don't understand all the technical side of production, but do know that even if I had all the equipment, and I am a professional photographer of 16 years (still photography), I still don't have any experience putting a video together. We wanted someone who knew how long scenes should be, what effects enhance and not detract from the project, and all the other ins and outs. The company we are using is Production West of Billings. They have won numerous awards for their outstanding productions. I've talked with other people who have hired them for projects (documentaries, public relation pieces) and they were extremely happy with their work -- well worth the cost. I've seen their work and was greatly impressed and they have been extremely helpful. We will submit the video to PBS (in Montana)to see if they are interested in airing it. We feel the exposure will give our project an enormous boost.

The price includes the copying of the original films to tape and video, time in the editting studios (five days), producing the videos for sale, the art for the cover, the video case, pretty much the complete project.

Other people familiar with similar projects did not feel the price was out of line.

Yes, we are a 501(C)(3) non-profit organization. Robin takes care of this aspect more than I do, but I suppose if someone makes a donation, we give them our non-profit identification number.

Anyone interested in making a donation can send it to: Miles City Genealogical Society
P.O. Box 711
Miles City, MT 59301
Author: Elaine Swanson  Posted: Fri Mar 16 10:50:13 PM MDT (UTC-6) 2001 From:
Yes, we are still selling the Miles City maps. They are $21 (including the tube and shipping).

Anyone interested in these can also write:
Miles City Genealogical Society
P.O. Box 711
Miles City, MT 59301
Author: Admin MilesCity.com Webmaster  Posted: Sat Mar 17 12:19:59 AM MDT (UTC-6) 2001 From:
Hi Elaine,
What you are doing is awesome. I'm really excited to see the finished result. It sounds like you are really taking the effort to do a great job, and I'm sure many people will appreciate the final result.

You are much more familar with all of the details and as such I'm sure the price is well worth it. I was just speaking off the cuff, and I tend to be a smart alec sometimes, so you have to ignore me occasionally. wink

I intend to make a donation towards your efforts after I get my taxes done and would encourage others to do so as well.

I have one of your Miles City maps and it is great.

When I get a chance, I'll see what I can do to try and help promote Miles City's non-profit organizations (and their products) more here.

Regards, Larry
Author: Admin MilesCity.com Webmaster  Posted: Sat Mar 17 12:27:32 AM MDT (UTC-6) 2001 From:
One suggestion that I might add, is that I wonder if you might be able to make available the whole 10 hours in unedited format for those who would wish to view it?

You could charge significantly more for it as you would sell fewer copies, but your costs could be fairly low. Simply make a copy. No fancy boxes needed for the few folks interested in that.

I know that, if possible, I would like to have a copy of the whole 10 hours (no matter how boring portions might be) for my personal library, and would be willing to make a significant contribution for that privledge -- which in turn might hopefully help fund the production of the 30 minute version. I spoke with someone else who also indicated they would be interested as well.

Anyway, something to think about.

Regards, Larry

[This message has been edited by Larry Antram (edited 3/19/2001).]
Author: Elaine Swanson  Posted: Sat Mar 17 11:22:00 AM MDT (UTC-6) 2001 From:
Thanks Larry. There are portions that are not too interesting, but then there are others, like much parade footage that are long, but from different positions, so you see the old buildings well. Not sure how we will edit those. Let me look into the possibility of providing an uneditted version.
Author: Bart Freese  Posted: Sun Mar 18 6:19:27 AM MDT (UTC-6) 2001 From:
Just want to add a thanks to Elaine, Robin, and the others for taking the time to do this -- projects, organizing the library in the Ursuline Convent, and staffing so the library can actually be open. It all takes a lot of work which ends up happening due to a labor of love. It's nice to see people have a "passion" for something that is not geared at making money for themselves -- not that I don't like the green stuff myself, mind you, even on the non-St. Patty Days. If you've never been to the library, it is a very functional and pleasant space. For those of you who might want to see pictures of the Convent (and dern fine ones, too) go to the Sacred Heart Parish School web site, click on General Information, and then click on History (shameless plug, and during Lent). Two outside shots follow another link by clicking on the areiral (Larry, when are you hooking up that spell checker?) -- ahhhh, photo from way up high picture.

[This message has been edited by Bart Freese (edited 3/18/2001).]
Author: Donator David Schott  Posted: Tue May 24 2:43:30 PM MDT (UTC-6) 2011 From: - WA
Good news, this project is finished! I received a copy of the "Miles City Moments" DVD in the mail yesterday and watched it last night. Very cool footage of Miles City including shots of the construction of the circa. ~1950 Holy Rosary Hospital, V.A. Hospital, the Custer County Court House, soapbox derby races down airport hill and across the old Seventh Street Bridge, street construction and paving projects, trains, planes, boating on Cook Lake, parades on Main Street, the old power plant on Bridge St, and so on. It was fun to see.

I'm told that the DVD is currently available at Riggs Camera and Gifts and the Buy Montana store.

Big thank you to Elaine Forman for seeing this project to completion. I'm sad that Robin Gerber didn't live to see the finished DVD. I'm sure she would be thrilled by how it turned out.

- Dave
Author: Mandyrosy  Posted: Thu May 26 8:28:31 AM MDT (UTC-6) 2011 From: - MT
Elaine (now Forman) is planning on doing several Speaker's Bureau presentations to show and talk about the film next month. Keep your eyes open! smile
Author: Marla Prell  Posted: Thu May 26 8:58:00 AM MDT (UTC-6) 2011 From: - MT
This is Elaine Forman (not Marla as it indicates).
Dave and many others believed in this project and made donations that made it possible. Thank you all!!!
I really enjoyed working on it because I love movies from this time period (1934-56) and it was fun to see what life was like in Miles City. Henry Selbman wasn't a professional photographer so the footage isn't perfect, but it's a nice glimpse of that time period.
Now it is available at Miles City Area Chamber of Commerce, Star Office Supplies, Riggs, BuyMT.com, Unique Creations, and the Custer County Art and Heritage Center. They are $20. If anyone wants one mailed to them there is a $3 shipping & packaging charge. They can send a check to me: Elaine Forman, 4507 Leighton Blvd., Miles City, MT 59301. Make the check out to the Miles City Genealogical Society. Any questions? Contact me at starcity(AT)midrivers.com.

[This message has been edited by Marla Prell (5/26/2011)]
Copyright © 1998-2014 MilesCity.com. All Rights Reserved. Do not copy without permission.
MilesCity.com :: Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Rules of Conduct :: Donate | Contact Info