July 4th Activities
Posted by VLC (+53) 8 years ago
Does anyone know what is planned for 4th of July activities? I did hear the celebration is taking place on the 3rd but don't know what is scheduled.It sure would be nice to have a current Chamber of Commerce website.
founder
supporter
Posted by Gene Larson (+282) 8 years ago
VLC:

You are correct, the 4th of July festivities, generally, will be on the 3rd this year, since the 4th falls on Sunday. I can only speak for the Parade and the corresponding events at Riverside Park. We're still in the process of organizing these venues, I'm on the Parade committee.

The Parade is also known as the "PEOPLE PARADE" because ANYONE can "march/walk/ride" in this parade through downtown after processing an entry form. It's also an opportunity for organizations and community clubs to spotlight their causes to the public. The forms and information will soon be available at GREAT GRAINS HEALTH FOODS, 21 South 9th Street, Miles City.

Our parade will lead into Riverside Park where an assortment of fun activities will take place, so check back here for more details.

The fireworks activity is a separate event from ours and might be on Sunday, someone else would know. But this information should get you started. Cheers!
supporter
Posted by Bob Netherton II (+1904) 8 years ago
Any fireworks?
Posted by Josh Rath (+2296) 8 years ago
Sidenote: If you have family or friends out of town, you can tune into MilesCam.com on the morning of the 3rd to watch the parade in HQ video with play-by-play from our very own Lee Akers.
Posted by mule train (+1055) 8 years ago
side note: Christmas will be celebrated on the 26th this year, so no one has to go to church 3 days in a row.

4th of July on the 3rd??????? Welcome to the end of days.
Mule Train, think of it this way. Who do you know in this town who is a churchgoer, will miss Sunday Service for a parade? Just about no one. Trust me on that. This is why it will be done on the 3rd. As far as I know, only the parade and park festivities are done on Saturday. The fireworks, I'm assuming, will be done on the 4th.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+8143) 8 years ago
They move everything in Boise as well when the 4th falls on a Sunday. The real fun is when Halloween is on a Sunday.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+9344) 8 years ago
Usually, the VFW is in charge of the fireworks.
Posted by Dave Golterman (+242) 8 years ago
Next year will be really fun when July 1st (Canada Day) is on Friday and Monday is the 4th of July. At least for those of us who live along the border...it's an excuse for a 4 day party LOL
founder
supporter
The 4th of July "PEOPLE PARADE" (being held on July 3rd, as mentioned before) is currently seeking entries from the general public, as well as community organizations. Parade organizers are urging EARLY registration for participants so we can bring you the largest Independence Day Parade yet! Parade structuring is a very complicated process and getting your entry forms in early will be a big help. Entry forms are now available at GREAT GRAINS HEALTH FOODS, 21 South 9th Street, Miles City. For more information, call Scott Elder at 234-5811. Or Mary Elizabeth Irion at 234-1900.

After the Parade, service organizations and community clubs may reach their fund-raising goals, collect donations for special projects or rally participants to join a cause by setting up booths or tables at Riverside Park. Any interested participants can call Mary Elizabeth Irion at 234-1900 or 853-1952.

And if anyone can bring non-perishable foods to Riverside Park on July 3rd, it would greatly help our community through the Custer County Food Bank. Thank you!
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+9203) 8 years ago
*bump*
founder
supporter
Hi Again, Folks!

It's less than a couple of weeks away when our THIRD OF JULY "PEOPLE PARADE" will take place! There'll be another summation of the events before then, but an important reminder is (you'll see!) to BRING YOUR LAWN CHAIRS for the Riverside Park festivities, as well as for the Parade! Thanks!
founder
supporter
closer....closer....CLOSER! The July 4th-on-the-3rd "PEOPLE PARADE"
is sneaking up FAST!! And WHAT an event it will be! According to Mary Elizabeth, there will be more than 50 new entries this year and she has come up with a GREAT IDEA FOR YOU AND THE KIDS! Perhaps you parents can even help incite the kids to join in A NEW EVENT THIS YEAR! It will be the "BEST OF SHOW BIKE" Contest. Unicycles, bicycles, tandems, ALL KINDS OF PEOPLE-POWERED bikes you can treat with sparklies, ribbons, buntings, doo-dads, maybe little baskets of flowers, etc. Use your imagination and HAVE FUN!

Each bicycle entry will be assigned a number to be placed on the bike. Then at the end of the parade there will be a BICYCLE CORRAL
near the heartbeat of activities in Riverside Park. Citizens in the park can then cast a ballot for their favorite adorned bike. Then a 1st, 2nd and 3rd-place prize will be given for the Peoples Choice Award.

This is just ONE of the many events taking place in connection with our "PEOPLE PARADE" and fun-filled happenings at Riverside Park AFTER the parade! TIME TO GET YOUR ENTRY IN RIGHT AWAY!!!! GET entries at GREAT GRAINS HEALTH FOODS, 21 South 9th Street, Miles City. Call 234-1900 for questions/information.

There are WAY too many events to mention here today, but check back here for more information to come! THANK YOU!
founder
supporter
Hello Again, Dear Friend(s)!

You may be wondering about the "PEOPLE PARADE" route, just to get an idea of what mode of transportation you could use for the exciting trip through town: Walking, if you are able, is not only a great way to exercise, but also to feel the power of "keeping the pace" for everyone! Why not have that TEENAGER of yours (or a neighbor's) pull YOU on a cart or in a wagon for a change? How about fixing up that old Cushman Scooter you haven't looked at for years? Isn't it time YOUR DOG walked YOU? WOWEE! The ideas are endless! AND this could be your great time in life to have PEOPLE CHEERING for YOU!! (What a super EGO trip)! Are you excited yet?

NOW: On Saturday, July 3rd, all participants will gather at the Ursuline Convent and everyone will begin lining up at 10:00am (it takes time to get people in their places), and the Parade will start moving at 11:00am. (Be sure to get there by 10:00am to start the process). The Parade will proceed up North Montana Street to Main Street and west on Main Street to Riverside Park.

I sincerely hope this preview will help you to decide to join the ONE EVENT each year that spotlights YOU in your very own "PEOPLE PARADE!"
Posted by Rob Reukauf (+97) 8 years ago
Hop in your car and head east 37 miles to Terry where they will be having their 62nd annual July 4 rodeo. It is a fun afternoon, and the kids can take in the park and a real cement swimming pool!
Really, it makes for a fun day with concessions and good entertainment.
founder
supporter
Posted by Tucker Bolton (+2955) 8 years ago
I will miss you all this year. Thank you committee for all of your hard work. I hope that this years parade will be the biggest and best yet. Think of me fondly, as I will miss helping and working with friends to celebrate community and volunteerism.

Oh! who is the Grand Marshall this year?

Marshall Tucker
founder
supporter
Hey, Tucker!

We want to thank you and Glenna for all you've done in helping to bring the "PEOPLE PARADE" into existence and powering it up to what it is today! We miss you greatly this year and will always treasure the huge amount of effort you both put in to making this an anticipated yearly event!!

At this point, all I can tell you is: The Grand Marshal this year is NOT going to be ME.....when I was grand marshal, all I could hear along the way was "HI, AMORETTE!" (Thankfully, she WAS riding with me). Of course, I wouldn't be in that status again, but if I WERE, you would see someone driving an empty limo and hear the spectators yell: "OH, that's LARSON")!! All seriousness aside, I'll let you know who the grand marshal(s) is/(are) as soon as I can.

(Now what is that 'TLING' I'll keep hearing at the end of the parade???)
founder
supporter
Not just everyone can get all of the participants lined up and still have the talent to play triangle with the "Bart Freeze marching band"

tling
founder
supporter
Sadly, our band director is having back problems and the band will not march. (That old metal Sousaphone is HEAVY!) The unicycle leader also broke his foot so that part of the circus is cancelled, too. It is a sad day in Mudville.
Posted by Kacey (+3146) 8 years ago
What is sad is that ONE person can stop a band from marching...I'm sure there are others who could put together a band of sorts. And the unicycles could still ride without the leader. They're very talented.
founder
supporter
Kacey,

One person was the band until I started playing lead triangle. We were on the verge of releasing our first album when I got a dickey ticker and had to leave. Now it seems that our entire brass section (Bart)is suffering back problems. When we are both released from rehab, IF, we can resolve our creative differences, we plan on starting rumors of a reunion tour. We are grateful to our fans and all of their support while we were touring. Kids, don't do drugs.

"Cowbell Baby, we need more of it"
founder
supporter
COWBELL? Say, maybe we should have a COW in the parade....SHE wouldn't mind carrying a cowbell! Oh! Wait a minute! I'm going to be at the REAR-END of the parade and I don't STEP that high! Forget it.
founder
supporter
Gene, Say hello to the breakfast club for me.

Participants, get those registration forms in to Great Grains ASAP. It is a huge help to the organizers.

Parade attendee's, Don't miss all of the activities in Riverside Park, following the parade. Cal Schock makes a mean burger.
Posted by dudemeister (+96) 8 years ago
I just read on the Star site & it said the fireworks will be Saturday night @ the park. Can someone confirm this for me?
founder
supporter
FIREWORKS UPDATE: According to Randy King, the VFW fireworks will take place, as it always has, on July 4th at dusk by the Oasis Swimming Pool. That will be on Sunday, not Saturday as earlier reported.
founder
Posted by Bart Freese (+936) 8 years ago
If Tucker will pack the Sousaphone, I'd play the triangle.

Now which one of the little smiley faces is for "pain"? Oh, I'll go with !
founder
supporter
Tucker:

We miss you at the "breakfast club," which seems to have dwindled to TWO of us these days, with a very occasional third person. Hopefully one day you will surprise us with your worldly existence and great tales of the free-wheeling spirit that you are! YAHOO!!

And as the ever-Parade-connected Tucker has mentioned, get those PARADE ENTRY FORMS filled and returned RIGHT AWAY! At GREAT GRAINS HEALTH FOODS, 21 South 9th street, Miles City. Time's awastin'!
Posted by Kacey (+3146) 8 years ago
So what the Star printed is wrong about when the fireworks display will be held? It will be on the 4th, not the 3rd?
founder
supporter
Yes, the fireworks are on the fourth. I talked to the guy in charge at the VFW and he had no idea where the information came from that put them on the third.

VFW FIREWORKS ARE ON THE FOURTH!!!
Reminder. If you have family out of state, or in surrounding towns, and they cannot make it... Send them to MilesCam.com at 10AM on the 3rd for a Near-HD live video broadcast With announcer Lee Akers.
founder
supporter
Along with Josh's live-camcast of the Parade, other great events are happening around town. Most notably are the family-oriented happenings at Riverside Park as the PEOPLE PARADE culminates into fun and patriotic enjoyment for all! A great overview of events is available, via Mary Elizabeth Iron, in last night's Miles City Star, the best information you can find!

Bob and Betty Ann Barthelmess will be our Grand Marshals this year, our RANGE RIDERS MUSEUM "heroes!" Because of their dedication, we have the most distinctive western historic museum in the world, none other like it in quality and purpose. So please come to the Parade and surprise them with the biggest ovation you can give!!

It's still not too late to get your entries in, but the time is running out. PLEASE get them in right away. Again, they're available for pickup and return at GREAT GRAINS - 21 South 9th Street - Miles City. Phone 234-5811. Thank You!
founder
supporter
Yup, here I am Again....Excited about all that is in store for our Independence Day celebrations! Local activities are awesome this year on July 3rd with the better-than-ever PEOPLE PARADE and the flowing activity of merriment in Riverside Park, including the opportunity of acknowledging the many volunteers who support the individual needs of our community. A time when giving and receiving are cloaked in great entertainment. YOUR time!!

Then on July 4th, the spectacular fireworks displayed by the VFW at dusk near the swimming pool at Riverside Park. (Your donation to this activity would be greatly appreciated to this costly project).

This is the time of year when our whole community gets together to take part in the joy of FREEDOM! The greatest opportunity to show our individual talents and support to each other....most of all, the support for those who are KEEPING us free.

Since we need to be reminded of things, about every five minutes in this day and age, here are a few to snap the synapse:

Kids! Adults! Get those BICYCLES all spiffed-up for the Parade "Best-of Show" Bike Contest with 1st, 2nd, and 3rd-place awards. And NO-ONE LOSES! Every participant gets something.

Bring your LAWN CHAIRS for the park, for a more comfortable day, especially the kind of seat with more than one leg!

Please, if you can, bring nonperishsable food for the Food Bank.
Reynold's Market is providing carts for the donated food.

GET YOUR ENTRIES IN!!

Thanks for "listening!"
supporter
Posted by cori schock (+185) 8 years ago
First Baptist Church, with the help of the CCDHS Band is gearing up for the free BBQ in the park tomorrow. Hamburgers, Hot Dogs, Brats, Pepsi Products, Tea and Lemonade. Donations are greatly appreciated, but not required. All donations will be split between the VFW for their fireworks display and the Band for their trip to San Diego. Come have lunch after the parade!!!!
founder
supporter
GREAT NEWS, CORI! You and the group have been out there in the park doing the same thing for YEARS, even before the PEOPLE PARADE came along! THAT'S dedication and love for the community, folks. And we always look forward to seeing Cal flip the burgers!

Only one of the many great fundraisers, in our 4th of July Riverside Park festivities, who are asking so little and giving so MUCH back to our community. Please support as many as you can tomorrow, there will be a variety of booths and tables and the opportunity to give to your favorite cause.

Think of the families and individuals who depend solely on our local Food Bank as the only means of nourishment in their lives. If each of us at the park bring only one can or package of nonperishable food, we'd be helping the Food Bank greatly!

STILL TIME to get your PEOPLE PARADE entry in....LAST DAY! THE opportunity to walk up the middle of the street without getting clobbered by a cattle truck or cell phone driver.....go for it! And WOW, the fun of sashaying up the street and to Riverside Park to a multitude of entertainment is just beyond words. HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY WEEKEND TO YOU AND YOURS from all of us on the Parade/Events Committee.

BE SAFE!
founder
Posted by Bart Freese (+936) 8 years ago
Gene, Gene, Gene.

Well, we've spent the afternoon working on "our" entry. It does okay sitting motionless on the gym floor, but movement may be another story. This baby is being pulled by a bike, so I'm calling it a bike entry. Actually, two bikes. Bring bandaides. I've turned in my entry form with virtually no information on it, since I had no idea what to say about. Bottom line, we'll be there at the end of parade with you, mister. Now, do you want Tucker's triangle?

bart
founder
supporter
Bart, Bart, Bart!

I'll be carrying a three-wheeled "whirlygig" and a camera....no room for a triangle THIS time, but I'll keep it in mind for NEXT year! ( Could a three-wheeled "whirlygig" be considered a TRI-CYCLE)?

[This message has been edited by Gene Larson (7/2/2010)]
Posted by MG (+104) 8 years ago
Well the good Lord and good luck was on our side today. Couldn't ask for better weather than we had. Good food, good fun and good company.
My thanks to all who were involved in putting all of this together as well as everyone who came out to take it all in. I truly enjoyed every minute of the day.

Wish you were here Tucker.
Posted by CK (+850) 8 years ago
I agree MG, It was a fabulous day! My 2 young daughters and I loved every minute of the day too. Thanks to everyone who organized it, donated, and made it possible. What a great way to spend the day together!
Posted by Beth R. Riggs (+307) 8 years ago
Yes I will third that. It was a grand time in Miles City today. Thanks to all that made it possible and I think especially Mary Elizabeth and Scott for putting their names and telephone numbers out there to coordinate.
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Jim Howe (+1563) 8 years ago
That was truly a day of glory for the People of Miles City! The town was really alive today. Today, our citizens put aside their differences,and put together an event that will be very hard to top.It made you proud to be an American, and proud to live in Miles City. Every one involved including the spectators deserve a standing ovation! The challenge is.....TOP THIS ONE!! TellYouWutt!! Cheers!
founder
supporter
Thank you SO much for making our PEOPLE'S PARADE and Riverside Park festivities the great sucesses they were! You made it all worth our efforts and proved once again what a EXCELLENT COMMUNITY we live in!!!

See you next year.
founder
supporter
Posted by Gene Larson (+282) 7 years ago
Hey-Hey-Hey! It's that TIME again...as we wind up for the 4TH OF JULY People Parade!! The exciting time of the year when EVERYBODY participates! What a choice...you can either be IN the Parade or be an all-important spectator. And it gets even BETTER each year!

Last year a bicycle contest was introduced and was a great success for the kids. But it's not just for kids this year, EVERYONE is invited to board a bike and to either "gussy-up" your ride to compete with others, or just ride along, showing your pride! Breezing along with the group and waving to your friends and neighbors, what could be better? Unicycles, bicycles, etc, use your imagination to make yours a SPECIAL attraction and compete for catagory prizes. (How long has it been since you've seen a couple riding a BICYCLE-BUILT-FOR-TWO? Are YOU out there? If so COME ON IN as a cycling revelation of our time)! Join us for this fun category in this year's 4th of July PEOPLE PARADE!! It's on Monday this year.

There are plenty of other enjoyable events associated with YOUR Parade this year, more details to follow. This event is only TWO WEEKS AWAY, so pick up your entry form right away!! The forms are available at GREAT GRAINS HEALTH FOODS, 21 South 9th Street, Miles City. For more information call Scott Elder at 234-5811 or Mary Elizabeth Irion at 853-1952.

Stay tuned for more exciting information to come!
founder
supporter
Posted by Gene Larson (+282) 7 years ago
OOPS!!!! Posted this in the WRONG AREA...Please go to "Fourth of July Activies" thread. Thank You! (Duh-Ooh!)